5* Sidekicks

My alliance was discussing how the only 4* most of us use now are ones that support 5*, and as we were going through the list, it occurred to me that many of the 5* have a specific 4* (or in some cases a 3*) that really amplifies or accelerates the 5*.  I started making a list, and was surprised to see how many there were.  I'd be curious if other folks had other combos.

Here's what I came up with so far (5* and the support/sidekick):

Thor / America Chavez
Daredevil / G4mora
Spidey / Vulture
Starlord / 4* Grocket
Hawkeye / Coulson
Green Goblin / C4rol
Phoenix / Switch (or 3* Cyclops)
OML / Cloak & Dagger

DocOck really needs two sidekicks to be any good, but put him with Vulture & C4rol and it's huge AOE damage city in not too many moves.

I'm also well aware than most folks playing in the 5* tier usually won't bring a 4* into PvP (as it paints a target on their backs), but for story events, these combos can be fun (especially when the 5* is buffed/featured).

Comments

• Ragnoluce
    Ragnoluce Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Agree 100% on Daredevil/Gamora-- mowed down tons of galactus feeder nodes with that combo plus R4cket this weekend.

The Carol/Goblin combo is pretty interesting, and I hadn't thought of it specifically before (despite Gobbo being my best covered 5*. Can I ask for players using that team, whose (active) yellow are you more likely to use? I would imagine Carol, unless you have a couple of pumpkin bombs out...I imagine playing with Carol also makes picking non-red tiles for his purple power more enticing.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    DD pairs well with any good stunning 4*.  I agree that Gamora is the best, but Iceman, Thoress, and Peggy are also good options.  Depending on the rest of your team makeup some of those might be better than others.  
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    An obvious one is Spidey/Miles. Vulture probably works better but his ap gen is universal, where Miles fits more specifically with Spidey. Has less color overlap too.

Phoenix/Bl4de. Blade gives passive strikes in case you get a match 5 early, his black works better with another power to put red tiles on the board

Daredevil/ Mr Fantastic- Gamora works better here too, but I like the double double damage with imaginaut and sonar strike working together. Been using this a bit since Mr F is boosted right now, and the stuns with tile swapping is pretty nice.

Archangel/ Nova - I actually don't know how his anti airborne works in practice, but Nova can do that

• MrCroaker64
    MrCroaker64 Posts: 70 Match Maker
    I like Spidey / Gwen. The double stuns lets me almost stun lock the enemy team plus the health boost when matching web tiles can minimize health pack usage.

I have also been using Black Panther with C&D (I don't have Thanos well covered) to jump start his Panther's Prey.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    The only times I've been able to get Dr. Octopus's green countdown to work as intended is when I've paired him with Grey Suit Widow and Scarlet Witch - jumpstart purple, then snipe your greens. Ideally his countdown ends up on green, that way you can just match it away on the final turn on demand, but that is not the most common situation.
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    America Chavez works great with Gambit, too, since he helps her crit passive get going super fast (passive AP gen and enemy AP suppression). She works quite well with any 5*, really, but half-health Thor and Gambit are probably the best options.