Boss event strategies

cpeyton3535
cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
I feel like a total dunce asking this, but I just wanted to confirm some things that I haven't been able to find explanations for after a quick search on the forum.

I'm in a casual alliance and was the first to clear all the nodes in Round 1.  Given that I have a stronger roster than most of my alliance mates, should I have waited and let everyone else have a go at the lower, easier rounds before I started?  Now I'm forced to wait for the timers to count down before any of the side-missions will unlock, which seems like a poor strategy for my alliance as a whole.

Just looking for some tips!

Comments

• BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Yeah that was my ally's strategy a while ago when our roster's weren't as developed. Depends on the boss, but most of the time if you don't have a decent amount of 4-stars champed, you probably can't do much past Round 6. So to get the absolute most contribution you can from your alliance, it's better to let the less developed rosters kill it through the first few rounds, and then just have them contribute what they can through side nodes and still taking a crack at the boss.

This event is slightly different, because with no match damage to worry about, a 3-star roster can still will in Round 8 with the Hulkfinite team (3* Hulk, Mohawk Storm, Kamala Khan), and possibly some others (I've heard OBW's blue works wonders against Galactus). Usually the boss' match damage alone starts to drop 3-star characters in the later rounds. 
  • cpeyton3535
    Yeah that was my ally's strategy a while ago when our roster's weren't as developed. Depends on the boss, but most of the time if you don't have a decent amount of 4-stars champed, you probably can't do much past Round 6. So to get the absolute most contribution you can from your alliance, it's better to let the less developed rosters kill it through the first few rounds, and then just have them contribute what they can through side nodes and still taking a crack at the boss.

This event is slightly different, because with no match damage to worry about, a 3-star roster can still will in Round 8 with the Hulkfinite team (3* Hulk, Mohawk Storm, Kamala Khan), and possibly some others (I've heard OBW's blue works wonders against Galactus). Usually the boss' match damage alone starts to drop 3-star characters in the later rounds. 
    Well tinykitty.  Thanks for clarifying.  There are some players in my alliance that are still in 2* land and I just basically took Round 1 off the table for them.  Oops!

• halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    It probably doesn't make a huge difference. The first few rounds are pretty similar, and a 2* roster should be able to do ok for a while with obw. 
  • cpeyton3535
    Actually, for optimal play,  no one should rush ahead in the first rounds. The first hit in each round is free, so everyone hit once until the round is clear. Everyone gets another free go, repeat. This should get you through the first 2-3 rounds without playing a single sub-node. Then you can go to town.
    That's great advice, thanks.  Never would have thought of that. 

If my alliance was in any way coordinated enough to adopt this strategy, I would suggest it.  Just not going to happen, but I can do my part to help everyone out by staying out of the fray until later.

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Good strategy @Kjeldbjerg, but it means having all alliance members online and playing at roughly the same time. My alliance has players from different timezones which will be harder to coordinate. I know I normally sleep through the start of these boss events unless I want to be up between 2-4am.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah as a generally rule it's best to encourage your weakest rosters to go first and have the strongest hold out as long as possible.  In my alliance I'm in the top 5 rosters so typically I post announcement at the start and encourage the weaker players to go through an announce when they are done and when rounds clear.  I and other stronger rosters only do the 'free' boss clears that come up at the start of the event and the start of each round, but generally hang back until all weak rosters report their done or Round 4 opens up.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Weaker players can continue to contribute by suiciding against the boos, if they are scaled out vs the Boss in later rounds. The sub nodes are still scaled to rosters, so they should be beatable by all if they have the essentials (often another constraint on the weaker players...).

Clearing sub nodes all event long adds up nicely, so encourage players who want the individual progressions to keep playing them to the end if they can.

Suiciding against the boos?  Why not just run away when they aren't looking?  

:-p
  • cgrubb80
    cgrubb80 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    I did not know this.  I cleared the lower levels myself.  
  • nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Strategy: join an alliance family with massive rosters.  Got it
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    nonnel said:
    Strategy: join an alliance family with massive rosters.  Got it
    But where can I find one of these? :(
  • Lordwd
    Lordwd Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Scarlett Witch, Coulson, Wolverine 4* for me. Ultimate board control for me