Are you a risk taker?

HoundofShadow
HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Assuming your board look like the one below early or mid game and the following conditions are: 

1) your opponent still have 3 characters,
2) there is no match 4 available
3) any other match three won't be enough to activate a power next turn:
4) red is one of your active power

For the purpose of illustration: 

X = any other colour not defined.
R = red
G = green

X X R R X R R X
X X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X
X X X X G X X X
X X X X X G X X
X X X X G X X X
X X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X

Would you:

1) match green and hope that a red tile would fall into place nicely to make a red match 5 for you?

2) play it safe and make any other match 3?

3) deliberately make any other match 3 that will also disrupt the position of the potential red match 5, just in case the AI matches green and it cascades into a match 5?

I would say I always choose choice number 1 because it's thrilling and exciting. Sometimes, I get match 5 sometimes the AI makes the match 5 due to my choice.

Comments

• LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    All depends if the AI has active red.  In the current world of gambit v gambit, I’m taking one of the red match 3s.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    This is a good question, I hope one of our resident statisticians can opine.  The odds of you making the match 5 on cascade is 1:7.  However, if you miss by 1, you've given the AI the match 5, 1 in 7 times.  This problem is exacerbated if it's not at the top of the board and the AIs chance increases to 2:7 (top or bottom) miss by 1.  Assuming no better option, I choose to take 3 red and disrupt the possibility of match 5.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    I always go for these personally, in story mode. If it's in a weak colour for the AI I'll chase it in PvP too. Crit tiles for 5* are lovely things so worth chasing, the AP is the cherry on top. 

It comes off more often than you'd think, belying the AI cheats theory. YMMV.
  • bryduck
    bryduck Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Hendross said:
    This is a good question, I hope one of our resident statisticians can opine.  The odds of you making the match 5 on cascade is 1:7.  However, if you miss by 1, you've given the AI the match 5, 1 in 7 times.  This problem is exacerbated if it's not at the top of the board and the AIs chance increases to 2:7 (top or bottom) miss by 1.  Assuming no better option, I choose to take 3 red and disrupt the possibility of match 5.
    Not exactly 2 in 7, depending, since if it's not at the top 2 rows you'll be seeing at least one of the AI's potential tiles in the column above.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    All depends if the AI has active red.  In the current world of gambit v gambit, I’m taking one of the red match 3s.
    This. Whoever fires Aces & Eights first is at a huge disadvantage (unless someone else is making charged tiles very early - usually only Bolt can), so taking red while denying it to your opponent is paramount.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    Normally I make that green match and hope for the best but as mentioned above, it does matter who the AI opponent is and how much red AP they already have and which character I have and which red active power it is.  With my 5* Gambit, I probably take one of those red matches to accelerate to 14 red AP faster.  If it is 4* Gamora (or most other 4* red active powers) for example, I probably take the green match.  
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    You take the match.  Odds are 50/50 that it would benefit the opponent over you (the likelihood of a red falling in the top spot is exactly the same as one falling in the bottom spot).  If the reds are in the second row rather than the top then you don't take it as the enemy is twice as likely to benefit in that situation.
  • NMANOZ
    NMANOZ Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    I would sometimes even use Medusa's tile swap power even though there are no enemy attack, defend, strike tiles. Especially helpful against mafia when they spam their power and you cannot destroy some of them. It doesn't always work but it can give you more match chances.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    If red feeds an active power, I’d make a red match instead.  I usually prioritize 1 or 2 colors, so it really depends on other match details.  I’m also more likely to take risks like that in easier battles.  I play it safer in the 5* essential where an enemy match 5 could be devastating.
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Hendross said:
    correcting peoples math is kinda my thing.

the AI's chance increases to 13/49
    you double counted the case where you miss by 1 simultaneously above and below.
    slightly better odds, but still a risky play
  • Addaran
    Addaran Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Most of the time, i'll match the green and pray for the match-5. Even if i know there's not that much chances for it to happen.