Buying covers for 10 cover 5*

Options
Minox
Minox Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
So I'm coming back to the game after a long absence and found out that I can purchase a 5* cover for 250CP (in this case Phoenix green).

I have a OML champed and my Phoenix is 3/5/2. 

Right now I'm saving for 300 LTs (I read that you need that much to get 13 covers for a 5* from latest legends). However I get the feeling that covering a classic legend is hopeless, so this at least gives me hope of getting another covered 5* down the line.

What are your thoughts? Buy the cover and wait until the deal comes around again or do nothing and keep saving for the 300 LTs.

Thanks for the insight!

Comments

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Did you know some 5* have 4* feeders now? You can either wait for Phoenix to get one (that will give you potential to get 6 covers once maxed) or save command points and wait for the special stores that contains 3x 5*. Same principal applies and you wouldn't even need 300 pulls since your phoenix already has a head start. Just bare in mine that only latest legendary has CS cover swap services. 
  • Minox
    Minox Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thanks for the quick answer!
    I didn't think about potential feeders for Phoenix, but that makes a lot of sense.

Guess I'm going to keep on saving then :)
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That deal you're seeing for the Phoenix green cover for 250 CP is because she was the required 5* character for the PvE event Webbed Wonder. 

Several months ago (right after Daredevil bumped 5tar-Lord to Classics, IIRC), they decided to implement a 5* required character node in PvE in addition to the 4*, 3*, and 2* required nodes. They run three events requiring the characters currently in Latests, then two events requiring Classic characters, then back to three featuring Latests. They actually still haven't made it through featuring all the Classics at least once yet, btw. 

A few weeks after they implemented this feature, they decided to add an offer to the Heroes for Hire store that features a cover for the required 5* essential. That way if you are newer to the game or just have had bad luck drawing a particular 5*, you can go the route of buying a cover directly and still play the node. Classic characters cost 250 CP, Latests cost 500. The color of cover featured goes in order from top to bottom. So the next time Phoenix is required, the offer will be for the color you already have maxed.  
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You would think Teen Jean would be the ideal feeder for 5* Phoenix, but they could always through a curve ball and make it 4Clops instead.  

My advice though would be to not champ Phoenix as your second 5*, if you intend to play PvP.  The reason is that OML isn't really a great 5* in the meta after his nerf (and maybe even before with the new 5*) and Phoenix isn't either.  You would be better served by continuing to hoard CP and latest legends for a few months and then open to get some latest legends covered.  It is the strategy I used to get Gambit, DD and Thor (who is at 12 covers) covered.  I have Gambit champed but haven't put any iso into any other 5* yet as I figure out my next long-term roster plan.  The forums have many posts about how dramatically the shift in PvP is from just one champed 5* to having two champed 5* on your roster and you better make sure at least one of those 5* is a top tier one.  Now if you are PvE only, not something you really need to worry about too much.  
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Everybody's advice is spot-on, but there's another couple of wrinkles you need to consider.

1. The top tier of 5* is Gambit. There are several other good 5*, but if you have 2 champed 5* and neither of them is Gambit, your PVP experience will suffer. Not impossible, but lots of skipping and lower float points.
    2. Gambit will be leaving Latest Legends "soon". If the release pattern holds, we'll get a new 5* this week, and 10-12 days later Gambit will cycle over to Classics. Of course if they release a 4* this week then you'll get another 2 weeks to horde. 

If your main focus is PVE, then go for it; almost every 5* will help you in SCL 8/9, and fun to play.

Hope that helps!