My first 5*

l_butler36
l_butler36 Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
Got lucky and pulled two Gambit covers to give me my first fully covered 5*.  I've been thinking about making the dive into 5* land but wanted to finish my 4*s first (5 older ones plus 5 latest).  I still plan to do that but I really want to play with Gambit.  However the rest of my 5*s are pretty under-covered. 

Should I champ Gambit and continue with 4s?  Soft cap some 5s?  I'm mainly PVE, and play PVP to 900.  I just want to be able to use Gambit without spending more time on PVP than I already do.  But I do want to start preparing to make the full jump to 5*s, I just want to be smart about it.

Here's my roster...let me know what you think....thanks all!

https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/l_butler36/

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

Do you have any covers for Gambit dying on the vine?

If you don't, there's no harm in waiting a Little while to take the plunge. I suspect Gambit will get a fourstar feeder (likely Rogue) once he is out of Latest Legends, so you may want to prepare for that and save up the ISO. Once you have a fivestar champion you will need to use it pretty much in every single PvP fight... but luckily Gambit makes most fights trivial, so you should be all right. In the right slice, getting to 900 with Gambit shouldn't be a problem at all.

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    My roster is in a similar place, albeit with a few more developed 5* covered characters.  I recently champed Gambit and love it. Now I am mainly a PvE player but dabbled in PvP.  I am playing PvP slightly more but still not seriously.  I can easily reach 900 now though in PvP with 0 or 1 shields depending on the slice.  What I like him most for is that he makes PvE a breeze and is a time saver. You can just blast through most nodes much faster than even with Grocket/Gamora/Medusa (still use them for easy nodes).  The only major drawbacks is that he is a huge health pack eater as his health recover time (even with VIP) is absurdly slow (like 14 hours + if he is under 1/3 health) and once you climb above 600 or so in PvP you will start being hit by other rosters with at least one champed 5* and eventually if you get to around 900, possibly even rosters with two champed 5*.  In addition, you can respect your gambit to 3/5/5 or 4/4/5 which may be better build than 5/3/5.  

One disclaimer: I have only had him champed and paired with a boosted Riri (who is a great pairing when she has max green and blue).  So my experience in PvP with him is still very limited. He also pairs pretty well with Vulture in PvE. 

There is always the risk too of an actual 5* Gambit nerf eventually once he rotates out of latest, but we will see.  After playing him against other 5* he very good but perhaps not as OP as the forums make him out to be as I get beat by a lot of non-Gambit teams as well.
  • l_butler36
    l_butler36 Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Thanks for the input. I went ahead and champed him. Yes, what a huge difference in PVE!  But definitely seeing the difference in PVP too, I've been hit a lot more than usual in the short time since I champed him. Guess I'll have to adjust my play a little but I don't see a problem reaching 900.

I guess I'm just not sure where to go from here.  I never thought much about getting seriously into 5* territory yet but having Gambit as my first made me want to take the plunge.  I suppose I'll have to start hoarding to pull the next batch of 5*s and give Gambit some help...and hopefully be able finish the rest of my 4*s along the way.  Never had much patience for hoarding but if I want more 5*s, I guess I'll have to!
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah that is my plan.  My two other 5* options at this point are DD and Thor, neither who is a great pair with him but Thor is probably the better fit of the two (even though DD is probably the better character).  My plan is to hoard again (once I get that 13th cover for Thor) and wait for another batch of 5* to enter LL (and probably wait for AA to leave as he looks fairly unimpressive).  I will also focus getting Black Bolt covers at all costs, through HfH purchases if offered, bonus heroes, and Medusa champ level as he is my ideal match for 5* Gambit.  
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    Warbringa said:
    Yeah that is my plan.  My two other 5* options at this point are DD and Thor, neither who is a great pair with him but Thor is probably the better fit of the two (even though DD is probably the better character).  My plan is to hoard again (once I get that 13th cover for Thor) and wait for another batch of 5* to enter LL (and probably wait for AA to leave as he looks fairly unimpressive).  I will also focus getting Black Bolt covers at all costs, through HfH purchases if offered, bonus heroes, and Medusa champ level as he is my ideal match for 5* Gambit.  
    Curious: 
    How is Daredevil probably better than Thor?
    I love Thor (my only 5* champ). However I will prooooobably be able to complete and champ Daredevil sometime soonish. But the more I read his skills, the less impressive he seems. :)
    His self heal.  It's one of the best in the game.  Pair him with Thanos and Thanos works to keep him low while he heals himself to keep him from dying.  You get a lot of strong strike tiles plus some health pack freedom.

I don't have Thor yet (12) but when I do I think Thanos, DD, Thor will be a strong team (even strong if/when Gambit get's nerfed).
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

Daredevil and Thor are a bit alike in that they don't really get going until they are at half Health, when Thor starts gathering AP and Daredevil starts spitting out strike tiles and heal. DD is more of a "thousand Cuts" guy that slowly grinds the enemy down (Sonar Strike lets him double dip on his strike tiles when he hits a stunned enemy...) while Thor goes for the big bang, ending the match fast that way.

Thor is the fast option, but DD has a lot more endurance since he self-heals. And DD isn't exactly slow paired with Gamora...

• STERLING21JJ
    STERLING21JJ Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Got lucky and pulled two Gambit covers to give me my first fully covered 5*.  I've been thinking about making the dive into 5* land but wanted to finish my 4*s first (5 older ones plus 5 latest).  I still plan to do that but I really want to play with Gambit.  However the rest of my 5*s are pretty under-covered. 

Should I champ Gambit and continue with 4s?  Soft cap some 5s?  I'm mainly PVE, and play PVP to 900.  I just want to be able to use Gambit without spending more time on PVP than I already do.  But I do want to start preparing to make the full jump to 5*s, I just want to be smart about it.

Here's my roster...let me know what you think....thanks all!

https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/l_butler36/

Make sure not to level you Gambit higher than level 375 if your wanting to just keep on the 4* playing field for pvp and not fouling up your mmr.  Gambit champed will make a big difference in how fast you can do you pve clears.  But you will be hit way more in pvp opening up that mmr.