Update to Kingpin's Champion Rewards (1/16/18)

Options

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OK, guess Daredevil is my next fivestar champion. He is at 13 covers already and Kingpin is somewhere between 300 and 320. Guess that solves who I run with Gambit in Behold Thanos. :) Good thing since I haven't been able to cover Thor properly yet...
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Brigby

Initially three 5* characters received a "4* feeder" within a week of each other (Medusa -> Black Bolt, Gamora -> Thanos, and Vulture -> Peter Parker). Since that time the releases have been slowed to one updated 4* now giving 5* covers per month. 

While I don't want to be construed as looking down on these gifts, the development team also releases a new 5* character approximately once per month. What this means is that we will unfortunately never catch up, and will remain at a deficit of about 16 characters. 

Is this by design? Or will the speed of updates to 4* character champion rewards eventually be increased?

There's two new 5* every 3 months, while there's 3 4* feeders so we are catching up - albeit slowly.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I took a gamble and had Elektra as my BH for a bit to get her above 300.  KP is 315 right now.  Whoops. Could have gotten him to 330. Oh well. 

I prefer that they keep with the one-a-month pace with the occasional double or triple bonanza for a few reasons:

1.) Iso.  While not particularly true in my case, I am sure there are a few players that have a few or more 5* almost cover maxed and not exactly swimming in Iso. Keeping it at the current pace helps prevent overburdening ill-prepared rosters.

2.) News value. It's nice to have something else to look forward to on the forum. In terms of regular news information, currently we have:

*MPQ Sneak Peek (released at the beginning of the month and updated weekly)
        *Marvel.com new character press release (twice a month)
        *RXX Release notes (I actually don't know how frequently these are posted lol)

I think having these Character Reward Updates adds value to the forum as a source of information and speeding up the process where it catches up to all available 5* characters would deny us the desire of wanting to know "Who's next?" and the pleasure that comes from its fulfillment.

3.) Gives the dev team some breathing room. Ideally speaking or at least what I am sure what we all hope for is that all 4* characters will eventually give out 5* rewards. However, it's not clear if that is the ultimate design goal. Taking it slower allows them time to think through how they want to proceed as well as analyze feedback and the current state of the game.

I noticed some people wondering why Elektra wasn't chosen this round but it's totally possible that down the road that she, too, will give DD covers at a future date. Or perhaps not.

I personally think one character a month with the exception of special events like the Anniversary and big movie release *sneeze* Avengers Infinity War *sneeze* (pardon me *blows nose*) where we may get 2 or three is not a bad move.

4.) LTs. If you are in the fortunate position of having a lot of 4* champed, then you actually benefit from a delay in release as you are able to obtain LTs in the pre-updated state. If they quicken the pace, it basically means less rewards, not more.

But these are just my two cents on the issue.
    @fight4thedream while I understand this, we have 16 more 5* without feeders. If they do 1 a month we will be into April 2019 and that doesn’t include any that get released. While I know they cannot do a bunch at one time, I think they do need to do more with 6* expected to come out soon, which is a totally seperate conversation. 
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,938 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @The rockett While I understand the eagerness of many to get as many 5*s as soon as possible, one of the great tenets of business entertainment is to "Always leave them wanting more." Although from a player perspective I can see some ways it would be beneficial to speed up the process, I don't see how the current pace adversely affects players. In fact, as I previously noted, those that are arguing for a speed up to the process are in fact arguing for less rewards, not more.

Instead, if they stick to the current pace and occasionally do a special double or triple update release to mark a special occasion, I think that would be just right. Perhaps their mistake was starting off with a triple update release as it set expectations high. Or maybe that plays into the "Always leave them wanting more" idea.

Anywhoo, I am just happy we have something cool to look forward to every month. :)
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oh i don’t disagree that this is a great change to see.  I am glad they are doing it and maybe they will do a 2/3 at one time.  That was awesome with the first Big Bang they did.  
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oh i don’t disagree that this is a great change to see.  I am glad they are doing it and maybe they will do a 2/3 at one time.  That was awesome with the first Big Bang they did.  

It's 100% consistent with their usual behaviour.

First run of something: awesome rewards.
    Second run: worse rewards.
    Consecutive runs: even worse rewards, staying at the lowest reward floor.

So I don't expect them to do double/triple rewards again, ever.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wonder if we can expect a fourstar feeder for the fivestar that just moved out of Latest Legends down the road. It does seem natural to have Rogue put out Gambit covers once he is in Classic Legends... may have to put her down as my bonus hero again once I am done champing Chavez.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    These are the best announcements! Go team!
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ecstatic I will be able to finish my 3/3/5 DareDevil by getting my Kingpin to 300. And he's at 279 now so that next cover is coming regardless of if I make t10 in the event. I know it's easy in this context to bring up all the other champion reward tracks that people want updated, but let's just be happy with this is its own solitary event guys. 
  • STERLING21JJ
    STERLING21JJ Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I welcome the update, Kingpin was my 5th 4* I ever champed.  He was more useful back then:)
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    One of my least covered 4s feeding one of my most covered 5s, yay?
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    Cool, now just undo the lousy update that ruined Kingpin as an actual useful character.
    Yes, please.  His black was ruined.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hmmmmm... Vulture gives 5pidey, Kingpin gives Daredevil. I like the odds for Mordo giving 5trange...
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi Everyone. As of right now, I'm unaware of any update schedule or which characters will be updated next. Once I hear of any news though, I'll be sure to communicate that here in the forum.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Very happy. I got my first DD yellow cover, and soon I will get the second green.

I am pleased that we are using an older char finally for this. I hope soon we can get Peggy for 5 Cap, and IMHB for 5 IM (even though I see them using Riri instead :( )
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

There's actually a fair bit we can infer from this particular update - there seems to be a pattern emerging.  It's a bit early to say for sure, of course, but we now have two new 4 -> 5* feeders after the initial burst, so we're getting something of a pattern.  These are the conclusions I came to:

- It seems to be about once a month.  That's a pity, as with a six week release schedule it will take a long time for all 5* to be fed, but it is what it is.  They may speed this up as they get good statistics on how it impacts the game.

- They're not only going to have the newer 4* feed 5*s, as some people have speculated.  Kingpin was literally the eighth 4* introduced to the game.  They're going to have them thematically linked.  So far we have two direct antagonists as well (Movie Vulture -> Movie Spidey, Kingpin -> Daredevil.)

- They're almost certainly not going to introduce any feeder until that 5* leaves Latest.

- So far it seems that they will prioritize the 5* that have just left latest.  Both Parker and Murdock got a feeder very quickly after they left Latest.  That's only two, so it's not a rock-solid conclusion, but it does fit the idea of prioritizing newer characters over old.

• Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Is there going to be a Kingpin PVP @Brigby?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,266 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So now we have a 5* that can be linearly farmed from 2* all the way up through 5*, that's pretty cool, and pretty cool that it's not one of the lame duck 5*s either.