4* DDQ: Thing vs. Human Torch

DarthDeVo
DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
This is one of the harder Crashes. Thing's yellow is worthless in a one-on-one fight, so basically it's one character with two fairly expensive powers against another with one cheap, one medium and one fairly expensive power. Another point in Johnny's favor? All his powers deal fairly decent damage when he's at Level 270. My 5/3/5 Level 275 Thing does 4995 damage for 10 red AP. I think Johnny was dealing only a few thousand less damage for 8 red AP.

Pretty much the only things Thing has going for him is his larger health pool and the stun on his red. His green does do some damage, but not enough for 12 AP. It can also clear out attack tiles if Johnny's fired Inferno. But it clears out tiles randomly, so it could miss them entirely. Also, he shares two out of three colors with Johnny, so going after red and green denies him what he needs to fire his two cheaper powers. 

The decent strategy seems to be too chase red, deny black, then finally go after green. Even still, I got beaten the first try. The board simply dropped more red in the AI's lap, no matter what I did. 

I got him second try, no boosts. Finished with 7833 health. Token to the hoard. I think I hit him once each with It's Clobberin' Time! and Yancy Street Special, which finished him off. I think the rest was match damage, including at least one critical tile. 

Comments

• AlwaysWrong
    AlwaysWrong Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Got really lucky on my third try with a lvl 147 2/3/2 thing. Used boosts for red ap and damage and all damage, got gifted the right cascades, got off a few clobbers and was gifted a match five a turn before inferno would have taken me out. Token got me a Gamora champ level and I was happy to call it a day. 
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    4/5/3 lv. 209

This was super brutal last cycle with a 3/5/2 level 188. This time it still took 3 tries. The first 2 he simply out damaged me with nothing I could do about it. The 3rd and winning try I got a ton of red off the bat and was able to stun him 4 our of the next 5 turns which gave me enough time to beat him down first.

Token to the hoard.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    273 5/3/5. Got it first try without any difficulty.

I just rushed to get 10 Red and 12 Green. Human Torch got his Black off, but it didn't matter. Used Green followed by Red and he was dead. Pretty easy.

LT gave me a 5* Gambit Red! He's now 4/2/3  :)
  • rocks52
    rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    I didn't even think about doing a respec on my 273 5/4/4 Thing.  Board fell to favor him early and he got off a fireball and flame jet, luckily he rarely had enough green for flame jet to do anything.  SO after trading minimal blows, I was finally able to punch him and clobber him ti he was about done and then a couple more matches and he was extinguished.  Had about 3000 health remaining.  Thing's massive health is definitely what saved it for me.

LT gave me Fear Not, Mi Gente! getting her to 1/1/3
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2018
    First go with my 3/4/5 lvl 228 Thing. Had a good board, green was the only power Johnny could fire, but then he couldn’t get any further green.
    Token was a teen jean blue taking her to 3/3/3
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champion Thing. Collected red, bam. Then collected green while Johnny was stunned Took him down quick.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I failed the first time with my 2/4/4 level 152 Thing.  I added +2ap green/black, and +100% match damage boost on my second attempt and managed to beat him.
  • thechairman
    thechairman Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    I believe last time I was at 1/5/2 and spent a lot of health packs and boosts in oh so close failure. This time at 4/5/3 and level 209 for the training, it took two tries with no boosts. It came down to who was getting the red/green matches fed to them from the cascades. The board just happened to keep the red flowing to me on the 2nd try. Definitely one of the more fulfilling Crashes to finally achieve victory.

Got a Black Chulk to 2/3/4, which is a little better than 1k Iso I suppose.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Finally, by a mix of patience and luck, managed to get a couple more Covers, bringing Thing to 3/4/3, which gave me enough extra health and damage to pull out the win.

Token was a Vulture Champ level.
  • TheHungryPet
    TheHungryPet Posts: 229 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2018
    Fight was a b*tch for my 3/5/3 150 Thing. Took ten tries to finally beat him after a series of unfortunate boards and bad luck cascades. Was tempted to buy the fourth red cover in the HfH store for the extra stun but glad I was able to punch out the Torch regardles.

Token to hoard.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    This is one of the worst crashes.  Champion Thing took at least three or four tries (unboosted) because the AI just kept cascading into red, green, or black and I could never grab any.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Second try with my level 188 5/5/1 Thing. The first try was embarrassing - he managed to cast each of his powers once and I still hadn't accumulated enough AP for a single attack. When I finally got enough red for a punch, my smile faded when I realized he had enough for fireball, and I perished without using a single move.

The second try was much better, and I walked away with a shiny Mockingbird cover, bringing her to 1/1/3.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    1/2/4 lvl 147 Thing found this very hard. Tried denying colours but Torch would either get his red off or black which took me down whilst trying to get green for my only worthwhile power seemed impossible. Finally got some luck on 5th fight but had to use +2 Green +2 all +100% match damage and even then it was close.