So what’s next?

Crnch73
Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
i have a bad feeling in my stomach that we aren’t going to get many changes in the near future. Not nice ones at least, just more character releases and re-runs of boring and/or broken events. The recent changes are ok but nothing that makes me say “wow! That change has revitalized my interest in the game!” Things in the past that accomplished such a feat were champions, Shield ranking, SCLs... even bonus heroes until I saw how little it actually helped or even happened. Now? We get some UI changes (nice but not helping anything really)... but nothing else. 

So maybe this is me venting. Maybe it’s to hear speculations and theories. Not sure what to expect... but what do you guys think? Is there anything exciting coming, or just more of the same for a while?

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's still just a mobile match game. How much more are they supposed to do?

I would think, at a certain point, they'd just do an MPQ2 if it made sense to make drastic changes.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe next they will add in graphics-intensive FPS missions?
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    I'm still waiting for the alliance wars or whatever that new game mode they surveyed on was.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    I suspect that we will get another event with a critical bug that the "Devs are Aware" of. Which will ruin the event for a part of the player population without any action from Demiurge.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    I expect more snark on the forums.

EDIT:  In all seriousness I expect 6*s soon.  I expect next attempt at PvP tweak either this season or next (at least a few small tests).  I expect SCL 10 in the next 6 months sometime (probably shortly after 6*s release).
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess "realistically expect" and "I'd like to see" aren't really the same thing, but I'd like to see:

1) SCL maximum levels based on character levels rather than shield scores so that it actually targets a player's roster
    2) Some justification for having a deep roster aside from farming; like idle-questing away missions
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, they've done quite a bit. And I say that as someone that has been very critical of them in the past. The only things that I think the game needs are a hybrid pvp system, a push to a more progression based pve system and a training mode that you can test your characters and teams without having to do that in Shield Sim. For the time being they need to just address the tapping issue and just have nodes stay at 0 after you do them like 7-10 times. Those are the biggest things to me. A pve season with more side content would be absolutely awesome as well but I want a progression pve system, which would have placement rewards added into progression at the end, more than anything first.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,795 Chairperson of the Boards
    So much negativity. 2017 was awesome, some awesome releases and new boss events even if they were far too easy. 

I expect more more of the same in 2018.

Just please make it harder, harder pve and much harder boss events please. Add some challenge back to the game.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    shardwick said:
    Well, they've done quite a bit. And I say that as someone that has been very critical of them in the past. The only things that I think the game needs are a hybrid pvp system, a push to a more progression based pve system and a training mode that you can test your characters and teams without having to do that in Shield Sim. For the time being they need to just address the tapping issue and just have nodes stay at 0 after you do them like 7-10 times. Those are the biggest things to me. A pve season with more side content would be absolutely awesome as well but I want a progression pve system, which would have placement rewards added into progression at the end, more than anything first.

This would be an amazing QoL feature in the game--a permanent mode (maybe in prologue) where you can pick any 3 toons to use AND to go against. This game needs a true simulator where you can experiment with teams on both offense AND defense. And better--there are no rewards and the toons come out of the match at whatever health they went into the match with.

There are so many combos available now it sucks that you cannot do this.
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    shardwick said:

This would be an amazing QoL feature in the game--a permanent mode (maybe in prologue) where you can pick any 3 toons to use AND to go against. This game needs a true simulator where you can experiment with teams on both offense AND defense. And better--there are no rewards and the toons come out of the match at whatever health they went into the match with.

There are so many combos available now it sucks that you cannot do this.
    Agreed.  MTGPQ has a Training Grounds PvP event that runs daily and even offers some rewards.  There's no penalty for losing which allows you to try things you typically wouldn't try.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2018
    Crnch73 said:
    ... even bonus heroes until I saw how little it actually helped or even happened. Now? We get some UI changes (nice but not helping anything really)... but nothing else. 
    In my opinion, bonus heroes have been a pretty dramatic addition to the game. They've goosed my team a lot -- despite my frustration at their lumpy distribution.

And, at least to me, the UI investments they've made augur pretty well for the mid-term future. Those are changes they really didn't have to make, as I doubt there was much attrition directly attributable to baked-in logistical nuisances players have become accustomed to.

The analogue for those baked-in nuisances are the (very) tired collection of PvE events. We really could use some new ones. Or even tweaks of the old ones to spruce them up a bit. And maybe bring back the Gauntlet -- an event I've only played once in my 474 days (it was where I learned the value of whales...).
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    Hopefully a Ragnarok/Sentry level nerf on 5* Gambit will be next.  When the game is as unbalanced as it currently is, that should be the top priority.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Depends on the time frame. If you are only thinking short term, then yeah, it seems like the game moves pretty slowly. But the reality is that they are constantly changing and updating and creating. Every year the game is vastly different then the year before, and mostly for the better. 

Are their plenty of small issued that need addressed?  Sure.  But let's not kid ourselves, they arent exactly huge.  Door 1 is broken, so some people miss out on a particular placement?  Be glad we can watch bracket flips, otherwise you would be joining at random and be subject to rng there anyways.  5* hulk doesnt get buffed when boosted?  Be glad you have him. I still did 6/6 clears on his nodes in cl9, and i have him at 0/2/3. Sometimes the boosted list meshes with your roster, sometimes it doesn't.  Welcome to the world more than half the players have to live in.  5* black panther TU is broken?  I rarely use TU's, and i don't think i am alone in that regard. If you are at the level where you can't win without that TU, i don't know what to tell you. 

I would hate to be judged on all the small things i get wrong, while getting zero credit for any improvements.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crnch73 said:
     We get some UI changes (nice but not helping anything really)... but nothing else. 

I prefer the small changes like these over the huge ones like Bonus Heroes. The big changes completely change the game, sometimes negatively but the small changes mostly make things better. I think 2018 should be the year the devs take the time to go back to fix or improve things. 2017 was the year of bugs, but it ended nicely with the much-requested UI changes. They really need to take the time to iron everything out instead of pushing major changes.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really like the idea of that simulator to test out characters. I have 1 or 2 covers on almost every 5* now, and at least 1 cover on every 4*, but it's hard to know which ones are worth chasing. And new releases are similarly difficult to evaluate for synergy when you only get to try a 1/1/1 version given how characters level in basically a binary fashion: awful until champ, then you see if they're any good.
  • Keirain1982
    Keirain1982 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    I'd second the idea of a place where I can try out team combinations against certain teams I find frustrating. Or even goon nodes to develop a strategy for board manipulation.
    Maybe it could be (not sure if we had this already or not) a Danger Room scenario where you set the parameters for your own 'training' experience.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I suspect 2018 will bring another attempt at changing the PvP format.  They ditched the previous iteration because of player backlash, but they remain aware that the current format has a very steep learning curve that is unfriendly to newer players.  Exactly when we see a new test will depend on the extent of the change, and whether it's a tweak or an overhaul.
  • Nick9819
    Nick9819 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In

I think the addition of 5* feeders is a good one and a step in the right direction.