Shield Clearance Maximum Level Suggestion

Options
ThaRoadWarrior
ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
I was thinking about the concept of locking players out of lower SCLs based on their rank. It occurs to me that this really just makes it so that high level players are never incentivized to use their lower star characters ever. Would it be beneficial to just lock out characters of a certain level from lower SCLs rather than locking players out entirely? More like how racing games only allow cars with a certain horsepower to compete in certain events? This targets the roster, not the player, which I believe is more in line with the whole concept of SCL in the first place, and it makes it viable for you to play with 2 and 3* teams if you're so inclined. There is a pretty deep roster of characters in those lower tiers that exist only to be farmed once you reach that 4*/5* level of play. We know the game can already prevent characters from entering a node if they aren't leveled high enough (shield training), so it seems like it would be fairly straightforward to put the reverse of that in place and say an event is only open to characters below a certain level. 

Comments

• Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Oh, I like this idea so much.  I love playing with 2* Hawkeye and 2* Magneto, they're such a great double-act, but outside of two nodes in DDQ I never get the opportunity.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The off-season Balance of Power pvp where everybody gets boosted to level 550 is another place to do it if you want to, but yeah, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about. Also there are some good team synergy opportunities at the 3* tier that i think would be fun, but not competitive in the 4*/5* meta to even attempt anymore once you get to certain shield rank.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You can actually get a bit of this in PvP if you jump in right when it starts to get the Seed Teams. Beat those using the loaner and your lowest-level Characters, and then let the hits roll in and take on the Retals with teams that match them. A couple of times, I've made it to 575 without having to use anyone above Lvl160 or so. Usually I do have to bust out a higher level team for the last few matches, but it makes the first bunch a lot more fun to get to use teams like Stormneto and Ares/Daken again.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    That's another good idea.  I also have all these single-cover level 70s waiting for a second power or something that never get used.  I could beat up on "Bacon Magic" with my one-cover Thor and my one-cover Thing, remind myself what their lone power does until they become useful for me one day.  :)
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I use my unleveled 4* there a lot, too. It's fun to get to play with those somewhere, since it's gonna be ages before I can use Iceman or whoever when competing at my actual level.