Goblin Dark-Dwellers does not trigger off of Deploy the Gatewatch

BlessedOne
BlessedOne Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
That's the bug...
Goblin Dark-Dwellers should place Deploy the Gatewatch (DtG) back in my hand with 6 mana.
I summoned 3 copies of Goblin Dark-Dwellers with DtG and expected 3 copies of DtG with 6 mana in my hand.

Even with Dark-Dwellers on the field, casting DtG did not trigger the effect.

Comments

• DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Did you get any copies back in your hand? You can't get back more than you have cast, abilities like the Dark-Dwellers' are more like grab the top whatever from your graveyard than the card text suggests. If you got nothing back this is definitely a bug, if you only got one copy back or similar, this is more a case of imprecise card text.
  • BlessedOne
    The effect of Dark-Dwellers did not trigger at all when I casted Deploy. I got nothing back.
    Seems like a bug.
  • BlessedOne
    I built a deck with only one spell in it, Deploy the Gatewatch. When Goblin Dark-Dwellers enters the field, Deploy the Gatewatch will come back to my hand with 6 mana.  Also, Goblins will bring back a copy of Deploy if DtG was cast prior to them entering the field.
    It seems to be a specific corner case. If the first spell cast is Deploy the Gatewatch, and it fetches Goblins, the goblin effect does not put back a copy of Deploy the Gatewatch in my hand with 6 mana.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @BlessedOne It's possible that since Deploy the Gatewatch Fetches creatures, as opposed to playing it from your hand, the Enter the Battlefield effect may intentionally not trigger.

Have you tried casting Deploy the Gatewatch, and then playing a Goblin Dark-Dwellers that's already in your hand, and seeing if Deploy the Gatewatch is Returned to your hand with an additional 6 Mana?
  • BlessedOne
    Yes. That works.
    here is another scenario where it works.
    I cast Deploy.
    It does not fetch Goblins.
    I cast Deploy again, it fetches goblins, I get deploy back in my hand.

It was one corner case I got into twice yesterday.
    I am pretty sure it was this: the very first spell I casted was Deploy the Gatewatch. It fetched 3 copies of Goblins. The Goblin effect did not put a copy of Deploy in my hand. My hand was not full.
    Below is the screen capture of the event.

• BlessedOne
    I was able to reproduce this event again.
    I dropped a couple of supports on the field. The first spell I cast was Deploy the Gatewatch.
    It fetched a copy of Goblins. I did not get Deploy back in my hand.

There should be a copy of deploy in my hand... at least that's the expected outcome.

Every subsequent use of this works as expected. Just not the first one.

• DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    I wonder if deploy doesn't go into your graveyard until after it fully resolves? That might explain it.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited January 2018
    @DBJones said:
    I wonder if deploy doesn't go into your graveyard until after it fully resolves? That might explain it.
    I'm not a developer, but that was my thought as well. This behavior is further reinforced as intentional, based on the fact that @BlessedOne says every subsequent use of this works as expected.
  • BlessedOne
    @DBJones I think you are correct. Must not be a bug. Seems to be a specific case where the effect does not work because the first spell has not resolved.