When to champ a second 5*

After 5* rewards were released I had a 5Thanos cover on the vine so I took the plunge and champed him, my first champed five star. PVE has been fun, PvP has been cool, and I've been making the 900 pt progression with some shield hops. 

I've now got several fully covered 5*, 5trange, Gambit, DD. What should I think about champing them? Is it worth it, what should I look out for in PvP?

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champ Gambit and DD, waltz to 1200+ on first shield.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can easily make 1200 anytime you want with Thanos/Gambit. DD makes a phenomenal 3rd for PvE nodes as well. If you’re going to take the plunge, then definitely start with Gambit.  Once he’s champed, there’s nothing to worry about in PvP, you can beat anyone you want. Admittedly my Gambit/Thanos are a few levels higher at 461/470, but it doesn’t matter.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Maby champ Gambit first or wait until you can champ all three at the same time. Either way, you have good characters so there won't be to much of a downside for you other than getting used to them and learning your new climbing formula.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd definitely say prioritise Gambit. I champed DD after Thanos and all I see is Gambit teams which I have no answer to.

And knowing my luck by the time I get the last 3 covers I need and champ him, he'll get nerfed hard.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    When one of them is Gambit.
  • Team_Jacob
    Team_Jacob Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Thanks for all of the feedback! OK, champing Gambit is on my to do list! Can I expect to start carving through CL9 PvE,or do people still prefer CL8?

Thanks again
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gambit or really any decent 5 will be enough for pve cl9. It does depend somewhat on the state of the 5 essential for you. The 5E node is really the only problem in scl9.  But I’d say Gambit will probably be able to deal with just about any 5E node on his own. (There are a couple real pains; DPvMPQ, HoD.)
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 565 Critical Contributor
    Be careful when championing your 4's if you do not want to get hit by scaling issues.  After 1 you will notice a jump but it is not too bad you will see a few maxed 5 and a lot of maxed 4's it is the second one that gets you (actually a little before that) once I hit lvl 435 with my second 5 I was basically in 5 star land and it is rough if you do not have the 4 roster to back it up.  I just finished my 3rd 5 and have seen no difference since the second jump. So my advice is only max 1 5 and do not put levels into any others, if you must keep them under lvl 345.  Build you 4 base before you start to mess with the 5's you will get hammered if you dont.  Good luck.
  • Team_Jacob
    Team_Jacob Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Be careful when championing your 4's if you do not want to get hit by scaling issues.  After 1 you will notice a jump but it is not too bad you will see a few maxed 5 and a lot of maxed 4's it is the second one that gets you (actually a little before that) once I hit lvl 435 with my second 5 I was basically in 5 star land and it is rough if you do not have the 4 roster to back it up.  I just finished my 3rd 5 and have seen no difference since the second jump. So my advice is only max 1 5 and do not put levels into any others, if you must keep them under lvl 345.  Build you 4 base before you start to mess with the 5's you will get hammered if you dont.  Good luck.
    Thanks! What's your estimate for the make or break point on 4*s? 

I should check my roster, but I think I've got most champed. Well not the latest 12, but a good majority.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I am currently saving the iso to champ my first 5 (gambit), but to help in this current pve I pumped some iso into him. Sort of a mistake on my part, because I got him up to 355, which made my pvp experience quite different. I went from the occasional 3* team to all 4* champ+boosted teams. It’s not the end of the world, as I have about 40 champed 4s including all the top 4s... but it’s noticeable for sure. Don’t know what to expect going forward with champing ny first 5*... but since the game was getting stale for me, I will push on
  • bluewolf
    I have 1 champed 5, Spidey, at 451.  Since I champed him, or maybe a little before, I have leveled two others (DD and HE) to 360, and have 4 others at 330-350.  There is no effect of a 360 5* on your MMR if you already have the majority of 4’s champed and boosted in any given week.

Do I see 3* teams any more?  No, not unless I try to break MMR.  But a champed 5 makes most champed 4 teams feel like 3’s, unless the 4’s are boosted to mid 400’s+.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    bluewolf said:
    I have 1 champed 5, Spidey, at 451.  Since I champed him, or maybe a little before, I have leveled two others (DD and HE) to 360, and have 4 others at 330-350.  There is no effect of a 360 5* on your MMR if you already have the majority of 4’s champed and boosted in any given week.

Do I see 3* teams any more?  No, not unless I try to break MMR.  But a champed 5 makes most champed 4 teams feel like 3’s, unless the 4’s are boosted to mid 400’s+.
    Not trying to argue, but doesn’t your post contradict itself? No effect on MMR, but you no longer see 3* teams? I agree that eventually, boosted 4* teams begin to look easy once you have a champed 5... but on my road to champing my first 5, my MMR has changed before I even got to the finish line. I am not complaining, I have accepted it. But I know for a fact, first hand, that my MMR has changed and it sounds like yours did too... just not in a way that really bothered you
  • bluewolf
    True.... I was trying to address the change in MMR that occurs (or not) if you have one 5* champ and level other 5’s.  Taking other 5’s to 360 will be fine.  

Yes, MMR changes as you champ people.  Once you have a lot of 4’s champed you stop seeing many 3’s, as you probably know already. It’s the way the game keeps you invested in developing characters, by trying to maintain a challenge level.
  • ComatoseJackal
    ComatoseJackal Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Don't listen to mmr **** champ gambit kill spit
  • ComatoseJackal
    **** = tinnykitty
  • ComatoseJackal
    Well ****
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well tinykitty