Champ Sandman or HoboFist?

Options
Hey all,

First time long time! I've got a Sandman cover with about two days left, wondering if I should hold out for the last 60k ISO I'll need to champ 'em or if I should wait until I get a cover on my other covered 4 Iron Fist. I've really enjoyed playing with Rand to clear easy nodes in the last PVE, even stuck with 5/5/3 he has great utility and poke dmg. I've had fun comboing him with wasp, you can use buzzing sound to help build up doublecasts of his Blue and then mop the floor

I'm not a huge fan of Marko, but the other character I've played a ton with this week was boosted 5* Daredevil, and even with one cover of Sonar Sense the prospect of multi-color stun teams gets really interesting. Gamora/DD/Sandman could do some interesting things...

What character has served you better in battle?

Comments

• granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    HoboFist is unquestionably better, but I'm an advocate of following the covers.

That said, I'm also one of the few people who thinks Sandman isn't as bad as he's made out to be.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I agree with granne.  Champ Sandman first, even if Danny's the better choice.  And yeah, Sandman is surprisingly not the dud he's rumored to be.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It depends on your playing style. Sandman now gives Green Goblin as a reward. If that is good enough to motivate you, go ahead and champ Sandman.

Hobofist has pretty cheap abilities that also allow you to gain Green and Black APs. That would allow you to chain into some other strategies that you have.

Personally, I think his green AoE attack isn't that great except that it has a 2 turn single target stun. As for his Yellow attack, you need someone else (maybe Luke Cage) to help pull it off since you need 7 protect tiles to activate his Sand Smash damage. At 5 cover, it throws out only 6 protect tiles. If not, you have to spend 20 ap to pull off the damage. For a 4*, his yellow damage isn't that good since it does about 5500 damage.

The plus points are his high HP, a guarantee to get Green Goblin as a reward, and he's one of the rare yellow tiles converter.

• hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hobo fist is more flexible and better overall, Sandman has his uses but I would go Fist first.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Save the cover.  IF isn't going anywhere, the Sandman on the vine is.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Everyone else has said it all already. I’d argue I see Fist underrated on a lot of people’s lists. He just cracks my top 20 in the 4* tier. He is fun, fast, and flexible (ie several viable builds that do different things for you).  His semi winfinite with Vulture is something I go to often. 

All that to say if your plan is champ everyone eventually AND your roster is large enough that neither guy will really impact how you play, then go Sandman to save the cover and because he’s in latests you will theoretically save more covers down the road. If you have 10 or less 4s I might consider Fist if he synergises well with what you have. 
  • Ragnoluce
    Ragnoluce Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    The Green Goblin champ rewards for Sandman are intriguing since he is my most-covered 5*, but that's still a ways off at the rate I get Leg Tokens.... thanks everyone for the good advice on this one! I think I'm going to try for Sandman since I have it ready to go. Any recs for a 4* third on Gamora/Sandman? Maybe Cloak and Dagger for the Passives?