4 Years ago to the day

Found this in my photos dated 1/2/2014 (I cropped it so the photo info may be off)

My roster has changed a bit since then

Comments

• Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    mexus said:
    Woa, is Invisible Woman that old.
    I believe she was the second 4*.  Her and XFW were the only two for the longest time.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    mexus said:
    Woa, is Invisible Woman that old.

And she suuuuuuuuuucked. :)
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Back when Xforce wolverine beat everything clean, without even breaking a sweat 
  • GrimSkald

Actually, no.  XForce Wolverine (if he was in the game yet,) sucked too. :)  The first two 4*s were awful.   They definitely had something very different in mind when they designed them - they had very expensive powers because the devs expected the matches to run longer with 4*s.  I mean, they do, but they expected a lot longer.  Originally IW's powers cost 18(14 with 5 covers,)/13/9.  I can't find an old version of X-Force, but as I recall he was RGY and had ridiculously over-costed powers.    He created strikes with Green, Red destroyed two rows, and Yellow had a CD that healed more as you got more covers, but also went up in time.  IIRC, it was 7 turns at 5 covers, I am not tinykittying you here.

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald said:

Actually, no.  XForce Wolverine (if he was in the game yet,) sucked too. :)  The first two 4*s were awful.   They definitely had something very different in mind when they designed them - they had very expensive powers because the devs expected the matches to run longer with 4*s.  I mean, they do, but they expected a lot longer.  Originally IW's powers cost 18(14 with 5 covers,)/13/9.  I can't find an old version of X-Force, but as I recall he was RGY and had ridiculously over-costed powers.    He created strikes with Green, Red destroyed two rows, and Yellow had a CD that healed more as you got more covers, but also went up in time.  IIRC, it was 7 turns at 5 covers, I am not tinykittying you here.

Sounds about right to me. Nick Fury was the first fourstar that people were actually actively pursuing, and then Thor arrived to show what a truly powerful 4* could look like. At the same time Wolverine got redesigned, and the dual fourstar era began...
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    XFW redesign was the first time i bought covers with (2500) HP.  Surgical Strike (w/AP gen) was siiick.
  • thedarkphoenix
    GrimSkald said:

I actually dont recall that, I know IW sucked bad, but I do vaguely recall that the 1st 4 star that everyone wanted was NF.

But you right I remember when Xforce got buffed and was a must have.
  • GrimSkald
    edited January 2018

I actually dont recall that, I know IW sucked bad, but I do vaguely recall that the 1st 4 star that everyone wanted was NF.

But you right I remember when Xforce got buffed and was a must have.

Yep.  NF came out and everyone was like "What?  4*s aren't supposed to suck?"  Then they came out with the (pre-Nerf) Goddess Thor and buffed X-Force at about the same time and everyone said "Daaaaaaamn!  4*s are supposed to rule!"  Then they came out with Elektra and the original (awful) Star Lord - it was "Huh.  That was not what I was expecting."  We didn't get another solidly good 4* until HB, though Prof X has his uses of course.

They nerfed GT first (she needed it, but they nerfed her a bit too hard,) then a month or two went by before they nerfed X-Force (likewise.)  The X-Force nerf post went well into the 30s in pages, as I recall...

• GritsNGravy
    GritsNGravy Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    Ah yes, the XF + GT nerf were some dark days...  I went super hard to get GT (spent significant money for the time buying covers). 
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    Invisible Woman was there right at the start, but you might have missed her, as she was invisible at that time
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    The first thing that came to mind to me was the fact you leveled IM40! He was one of the worst 3*s prior to his rebalance. You were forced to cover him 5/5/2 or 1 because his yellow increased in cost with each cover level.

The amusing part is Rags was actually really good back then prior to his rebalance.. he only had two powers but his green was crazy cheap and it caused massive cascades. His red made green tiles cheaply too. I hated facing him back then. 
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I remember winning a PvP event and getting an Invisible Woman cover.  I was excited and too new to realize that she sucked. Probably the last time I won a PvP event too since it kicked me out of the noob brackets.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    GrimSkald said:

I can't find an old version of X-Force, but as I recall he was RGY and had ridiculously over-costed powers.    He created strikes with Green, Red destroyed two rows, and Yellow had a CD that healed more as you got more covers, but also went up in time.  IIRC, it was 7 turns at 5 covers, I am not tinykittying you here.

Here's Punisher with some useful (or useless) MPQ history! See below

Wolverine (X-Force)
    4 Star Rarity (Legendary) Discussion link. Wiki link
    At Max Level: HP:9328 Tile damage: 55/62/10/9/70/9

X-Force - Green 15 AP

Wolverine shreds, creating a 3x3 X-shaped pattern of Strike tiles centered on the selected tile's location. Only transforms basic color tiles.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: 5x5 slash. Level 3: Also affects Strike and Protect tiles. Level 4: 7x7 slash. Level 5: Affects all tile types.
    Max Level: Damage increased by 15 per Strike tile

Enraged Slash - Red 15 AP

Wolverine slashes the enemy, dealing 420 to the current target and shredding the selected tile's row.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: +25% damage Level 3: Slashes rows above and below the selected tile instead of one row. Level 4: +25% damage Level 5: Slashes three rows centered on the selected tile.
    Max Level: 2313 damage

Recovery - Yellow 10 AP

Wolverine starts the process of regeneration. Creates a 5 turn Countdown tile that heals 420 damage, and another 42 for every yellow AP.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Reduces countdown to 3 turns. Level 3: +20% base heal. Level 4: +40% base heal. Level 5: +300% base heal. Increases countdown to 7.
    Max Level: Heals 4626HP and additional 153HP per yellow AP
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dogface said:
    Invisible Woman was there right at the start, but you might have missed her, as she was invisible at that time

Invisible Woman was not in the game from the start, she was an early fourstar release in late 2013. I Think X-force Wolverine was in the game from the start though.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I think back then, the devs did come out and say that 4-star characters were meant to be bad as they are just meant to be "trophy" characters that you collect for fun and has no bearing on your gameplay. They did have a ton of health compared to 3-stars though which had its benefits. Only when Nick Fury was introduced that they changed the design philosophy of 4-stars.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    IM40 might not have been top of the meta ever,, but he was more than serviceable against others in his tier back then. One of my first fully covered 3*s along with punpun :) 
  • thedarkphoenix
    I think this was also when true healing was the default for healing, so people would do the prologue with spiderman to heal there team up to keep grinding.
  • freakygeek
    freakygeek Posts: 96 Match Maker
    I think this was also when true healing was the default for healing, so people would do the prologue with spiderman to heal there team up to keep grinding.

Shortly after this I acquired several Spiderman cards and used him the prologue for healing (usually would 100% heal in the PVP match). I would stun lock in PVP with Spiderman and usually use GSBW and Punisher (Molotov is brutal if enemy team can't clear the tiles). Kept me in a top 25 alliance. When they nerfed Spiderman I took a 3 month break until true healing got ditched. At the time of the roster I posted I was using IM40 as a tank and using a pre-nerf 2*Thor/2*Storm.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    And Nick Fury's release was only a single cover as the season alliance placement reward. Alliance play was so dang competitive then, as it was the only way to get his covers. 1 color each for the first 3 seasons.

It was the most competitive time in the history of MPQ.