Certain vaults being retired question

cooperbigdaddy
cooperbigdaddy Posts: 394 Mover and Shaker
Since the [Character] & Friends vaults happen when that character is launched, will the vault ever come back?

I prefer to save up until I have a full vault’s amount of tokens and pull to guarantee I get a cover in there I want. But if a vault will NEVER come around again, I might as well pull my tokens.

Other vaults I have that I’m wondering if they will repeat or are retired:
America & Friends
Rogue & Friends
Nightcrawler & Friends
Hulk & Friends
Nico & Friends
Oscorp: Heroic
Juggernaut: Heroic
The Defenders
Vault of Horrors
Holiday Vault
Awesome Vault Vol. 2

(I know the ones below are repeating vaults)
Avengers vs. Ultron
The Hunt
Thick as Thieves
The Hulk
Venom Bomb
Strange Sights
Wand of Watoomb
Orb of Agamotto
Book of the Vishanti
Civil War
Team Cap
Team Iron Man
Simulator
Enemy of the State
Webbed Wonder
Deadpool vs MPQ
Prodigal Sun
Hearts of Darkness
Meet Rocket & Groot
ISO-8 Brotherhood
Unstable ISO-8
Boss Rush
The Sinister Six

Which of these vaults will not come back so I might as well open these tokens? @Brigby  can you also weigh in with official “These vaults will never repeat?” :D

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    My suspicion for a while has been that the _ & Friends vaults are one time only.  Their purpose is to make hoarding the repeat event tokens less valuable by making these vaults frequently step on them (and to prevent players from getting the new characters easier via this method).  I doubt these will ever repeat, but that's just an educated guess.  

I'm with you and I prefer to hoard vault tokens, but I've been opening these because I have no expectation of them repeating.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    All the special deal vaults like Vault of Horrors, I would just assume they are not coming back.  They are already advantageous in terms of cost to clear.  They are obviously marketing driven deals to spur spending.  (And non-resettable).

It seems very very unlikely that the “and Friends” vaults would be re-run.  They are targeted to new releases, and if the character is featured again in a PVE it will be a normal run and vault name (The Hulk etc).

The only one I question in your first list is the Heroic vaults.  It’s possible they will run them again at some point.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Not that you’ll ever get an actual answer from those who would know, but I would say the odds on that are long at best.  There’s no incentive to run a nico and friends vault with a single nico cover a second time now that nico is available in all packs.

These vaults have made whaling for new toons a much more expensive proposition, while at the same time gives the masses hope of pulling at least 1 or 2 extra covers during a toons release without having the old pack stores available.  The vaults guarantee that you can get that cover, if you’re willing to empty it.

Once that cycle is complete, there’s no benefits for them to run again, and hoarding tokens furthers their reason to not run again.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    I have been wondering about the Heroic vaults for quite some time. I generally don't open tokens when I run the risk of getting a 6th cover for a maxed power, so this has led me to hoard tokens (or rather 'save up' as the number of tokens are quite low, just a lot of different stores) for token stores that I highly doubt will get used again.

For instance, I had 25 tokens for the very first run of Strange Sights until 2 weeks ago, but at the time those featured Nova who was at 5/x/x for the longest of time for me. I decided to open those as an early Christmas bonus, and because Nova has been champed for a while.

Along the way I have collected tokens for the old Heroic events too, among others, both the 'new character intro' store and in Vault store form, and I have been holding on to those just in case the events ever get another run. It has been over 6 months or so now since there was last a Heroic event, so I guess those have been taken out of the running for good, but it would be nice to see some confirmation of this from an official source (not that I really expect to ever see that on the forum, but who knows..). I have considered opening all non-Vault post-event tokens at some point but have withstood the temptation so far, maybe the time has come to give in to the tempation seeing that Iso and covers are more useful than having tokens that do nothing anymore.

Anyway, it's nice to see I 'm not the only one wondering about these things. Thanks for posting, nice to read other people's thoughts on this.

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited January 2018
    @cooperbigdaddy
    Yes. As of right now, there are no plans to rerun any of the "___ and friends" vaults, so you can consider them one-time vaults.