Another Shield Training Fail

Orion
Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
Ok, having a Shield Training where one of the 3 essentials wasn’t even in tokens yet was dumb, but this version of it is nearly as bad.  Shield Training ends in less than 24hrs. America’s PvP doesn’t end for more than a day and a half, so if you want that America cover at 900 you’d better get it early.  And since PvE is a 7-day event, it’s impossible to get America’s progression covers from there before Shield Training ends.

I got 2 covers from her release PvE, 1 alliance cover, and the cover from her vault.  But that still doesn’t even get her to level 111 to finish 3 rounds of her Shield Training.  Why do you guys have to start and end the Shield Training so early?  Give us a little time to cover her first!

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    We aren’t supposed to finish it for free from rewarded covers.  The point is for people to spend money. 
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    We aren’t supposed to finish it for free from rewarded covers.  The point is for people to spend money. 
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but it does seem like there was especially poor planning on their part this particular go around. We usually have a 3-day release event followed by a 3-day or 4-day essential event where we can get covers through placement and progression before the Training expires. The PvP event usually is timed better too, if I remember right. 

OP makes a very good point that if you don't hit 900 early in her PvP, you won't get that cover for America in time. And having done a 4-day release event followed by a 7-day essential that starts with a 48-hour sub, it's practically impossible to hit the progression reward in time. I play Slice 4, so maybe there's a chance for players in the earlier slices to get there, but I would think it would be a real stretch. So it could be that it's impossible for any players to hit the 4* progression reward in time. 

They should have programmed the Training to start the same time Enemy of the State did. 
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Also, maybe it's just me because I'm not a top tier player, but I have the impression that her red abiliy covers have been extremely difficult to get so far. Either luck with the vault or finishing very high in her realease PVE.

Seems to me a 7 day PVE event would be the ideal opportunity to have her at 1/1/1 after the progression covers are in and assuming you got 1 cover during her release. Oh well, not a big gripe by any stretch but kinda disappointed none the less.
  • Orion
    StevO-J said:
    Also, maybe it's just me because I'm not a top tier player, but I have the impression that her red abiliy covers have been extremely difficult to get so far. Either luck with the vault or finishing very high in her realease PVE.

Seems to me a 7 day PVE event would be the ideal opportunity to have her at 1/1/1 after the progression covers are in and assuming you got 1 cover during her release. Oh well, not a big gripe by any stretch but kinda disappointed none the less.
    I’m having the same problem with her red.  Got the non-red vault cover and the non-red Shield Training cover. After I finish her PvP and the PvE, she’ll be 0/4/4.  That’s stupid.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion said:
    StevO-J said:

I’m having the same problem with her red.  Got the non-red vault cover and the non-red Shield Training cover. After I finish her PvP and the PvE, she’ll be 0/4/4.  That’s stupid.
    Mine will be 4/2/2 after progressions. 

1 of each from T10 PVE
    1 Red from the vault
    1 Red from Shield Training
    1 Red from 900 PVP
    1 Yellow/ 1 Green from PVE progression
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    Isn’t red the color for everyone in PVP at 900?  Or does SCL 7 give a different color?  I thought all 900 4’s were the same color in all SCLs.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    It’s pretty standard d3 MO.  The big bonus for these is getting the new 4* cover, the bottom row is not able to be completed unless you are spending, have absurdly good token luck, or utilizing a certain glitch in the matrix.

The free cover is totally attainable without being event dependent.

Im not one to defend, but that bottom row is a pipe dream unless you’re whaling, it’s really that simple.  If you want to debate the merits of that, that’s fine.  But even if all the events ended in enough time, there still isn’t 13 covers able to be earned.

Enjoy the 4* cover, get a few cp if you can, and keep pushing ahead.
  • Orion
    bluewolf said:
    Isn’t red the color for everyone in PVP at 900?  Or does SCL 7 give a different color?  I thought all 900 4’s were the same color in all SCLs.
    Yes I messed that up.  For some reason I thought it was green.  So my America will be 1/4/3.

And the point isn’t that I can’t complete the training, very very few people will.  It’s that they aren’t giving us the usual chances to complete as much as possible.  There’s no reason for the Shield Training to end before Enemy of the State does.  And this is the first time that it will end before the PvP is over. Just some strange choices by the devs.
  • GreenMachine
    GreenMachine Posts: 52 Match Maker
    Part of the sting is that there are a few covers to be had, but they put them just a little bit out of reach.

1 cover in PVP
    1 cover via the vault
    2 covers via PVE that is a 7 day event and started with a 2-day sub.

Thats 3-4 covers that are just barely out of reach to help with shield training. And extra 24-48 hours would make a big difference.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion said:
     There’s no reason for the Shield Training to end before Enemy of the State does.  And this is the first time that it will end before the PvP is over. Just some strange choices by the devs.
    I think thats precisely their point.  Create a pain point where there's a real incentive to force you to spend so you don't waste other covers.

The important point for you to realize is that it wasn't a random mistake on the devs part.  it was a purposeful decision to force certain players into buying choices or give up their current status in the game.

You prime bait for this promotion.

You've purchased in the past.
    You have a high level roster that allows unrestricted play.
    Your in a nice spot where you can minimize your spending or keep it a small maintenance level.

if those 3 statements apply to you then the pain/annonyance your feeling is exactly the driver they want to introduce to force you spend or accept that other rosters who spend have access to resources you dont.
  • LifeofAgony
    Without spending, you can have by now reasonably earned enough covers to finish all but the final node.  That involves no token luck, it’s being a top performer in pve and pvp.  Again, not saying that’s right or wrong, but being able to earn all but the final reward without having to buy tokens and hope for luck isn’t an unreasonable business model.

The shiny LT at the end of the rainbow is there for the megawhales.  You’d need to drop thousands of hp to have a reasonable chance at covering her before she’s in tokens.

The real dilemma in this I see is that it’s killed new toon cover stores and replaced them with single cover vaults.  That’s the **** part of this change.
  • Orion
    Phumade said:
    Orion said:
     There’s no reason for the Shield Training to end before Enemy of the State does.  And this is the first time that it will end before the PvP is over. Just some strange choices by the devs.
    I think thats precisely their point.  Create a pain point where there's a real incentive to force you to spend so you don't waste other covers.

The important point for you to realize is that it wasn't a random mistake on the devs part.  it was a purposeful decision to force certain players into buying choices or give up their current status in the game.

You prime bait for this promotion.

You've purchased in the past.
    You have a high level roster that allows unrestricted play.
    Your in a nice spot where you can minimize your spending or keep it a small maintenance level.

if those 3 statements apply to you then the pain/annonyance your feeling is exactly the driver they want to introduce to force you spend or accept that other rosters who spend have access to resources you dont.

Except I’m not going to spend anything to cover a 4* that I’ll never use just so I can say I completed one of their paywall events and get a mostly trivial amount of ISO and 1 LT.

The point of my OP is not that the Shield Training event can’t be completed. Everybody knows that already and I don’t care. My point was this time they screwed up the timing of the event so that it ends before either the PvP and PvE are finished. So instead of finishing 3 or 4 of the bottom fights, most people will be lucky to even get 3 of them done.
  • LifeofAgony
    Even with those 3 covers between pve and pvp, if you didn’t make top placement in pvp and pve, you’re still in the same spot.  Those 3 covers won’t make up missing t5/10 in pvp and high pve placements.

There’s no issues here other than if you’re not a high placing player, you’re not getting 2 extra cp.  Two.  Dos.  It’s not exactly missing out on the super grand prize.

Theres plenty to criticize d3 for;  this one just isn’t it.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion said:
     So instead of finishing 3 or 4 of the bottom fights, most people will be lucky to even get 3 of them done.
    Sounds like a problem that can easily be address by whaling a vault or two.  hehe. 

Hmm?  Wonder why its setup so that 3 covers become availble short after an easy cp node dissapears?