Champion a 5*?

angryelvis
angryelvis Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
My roster currently has OML (fully covered) at 345, and most 4* between 280-300. My other 5*s have not been leveled regardless of my many covers they have. If I champion OML, will I be killed by the difficulty scaling? I’m asking because I just picked up another OML cover, don’t want to sell it but don’t really want to start a second OML. Suggestions, please.

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not in 5 land yet, but from what I've heard, a single Champed 5* shouldn't mess up your scaling too much so long as your 4* are decently leveled (you seem to be in a good spot). 2 or more Champed 5* and your scaling will likely go haywire, but at the moment, I think you're fine.

A second opinion is welcome of course.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are you primarily a PvE or PvP player? That makes a lot of difference.
    In PvE, enemy levels are set by the SCL you choose, so you can level up all the fivestars you want without any noticeable effect.
    In PvP, you will get matched against players with a similar roster. With a single fivestar champion, you will mostly get matched against other players with a single fivestar champion. Unfortunately OML is not a top-tier fivestar, so at higher points you will probably be targeted quite a bit. if you don't mind shield hopping to the progression rewards you want it should work out OK though. I think 900 is perfectly doable with just OML, but 1200 may be difficult but possible with skilled hopping.
  • angryelvis
    Primarily PvP but I don’t have anywhere near the results you suggest. I’ll peak around 600 and fall from there. I don’t shield and try to stay top 100. No doubt, my play style is not optimal. :)
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Single 5* champion wont put you into 5* MMR (just did it not 2 weeks ago, also got other 5*'s fully covered or at 375).

Howerver, I'd advise against it for now unless you enjoy getting hit non-stop for *not* running 5* Gambit. And half of your matchups will also feature Gambit. It's really not fun and pretty much ruining PVP for me right now.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Primarily PvP but I don’t have anywhere near the results you suggest. I’ll peak around 600 and fall from there. I don’t shield and try to stay top 100. No doubt, my play style is not optimal. :)
    The important thing is that you play in a way you enjoy. :) Leveling OML may mean you get matched up with non-stop Gambit teams though. I don't think it will stop you from reaching 600, but it may be less fun getting there.
  • angryelvis
    You know, getting there (slowly) isn’t the big headache. It’s losing 200-300 because of not shielding. From what you say, I’m guessing that Gambit hasn’t been nerfed enough.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’d sell the cover. In the grand scheme if you decide to champ him later you lost a single champ level. However the cost of keeping that single level seems pretty high. He’s just not a person I’d want to be my first champ. 
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    A champed OML would help a lot in PVE.  

As others said, it will change your PVP matchups.  One champ 5 will not force you to fight Gambits, but you will see a lot more 5* champs.  I have 1 champ and a 435 OML, and while I see quite a few Gambits, I can also easily skip to avoid him.
  • SlappyDingle
    SlappyDingle Posts: 60 Match Maker
    So having now champed my DD to level 455 I have to ask. What was the point? I now see much harder teams and I can't see how getting to 900 points in PvP becomes any easier. Just getting to 535 actually seems harder now. Where is the sweet spot with this? 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    So having now champed my DD to level 455 I have to ask. What was the point? I now see much harder teams and I can't see how getting to 900 points in PvP becomes any easier. Just getting to 535 actually seems harder now. Where is the sweet spot with this? 
    Caveat I only had a single 5* for a matter of days so I can't speak directly to that, but most with them say it shouldn't affect your MMR that severely.  Even if it does, you should still be able to do well assuming you:

1.  Make sure you skip any Gambit team (possibly Bolt too, but he's easier to beat when not with Gambit).
    2.  Bring someone a champed 4* with a cheap/strong stun (Gamora, Iceman Thor, Peggy, Spider-Woman, etc)

Heavy Metal should be cake for you if you go IM40, Gamora, DD.  Just make sure to avoid the mine field of Gambits.

EDIT: Also what's your 4* champ roster look like?  Only reason I can think you might be struggling that much is if you tried to skip the whole 4* tier and have very few 4* champs.
  • SlappyDingle
    SlappyDingle Posts: 60 Match Maker
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for the advice Broll! Yeah Using DD plus Gamora has made things much easier.

I have 50 champed 4*s. The rest of my potential 5* helpers are Thanos at 5/5/1, Gambit at 2/5/5 and a dusty old Phoenix sitting at 5/2/5. Oh! And a BBolt at 2/4/0
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for the advice Broll! Yeah Using DD plus Gamora has made things much easier.

I have 50 champed 4*s. The rest of my potential 5* helpers are Thanos at 5/5/1, Gambit at 2/5/5 and a dusty old Phoenix sitting at 5/2/5. Oh! And a BBolt at 2/4/0
    One of my favorite Sim teams is DD + Gamora + Vulture.  Vulture pretty much guarantees stun locks once you go airborne + building green for DD's green.  It's a fun build.

DD really only shines in two places:
    1.  If you can keep the enemy stunned.
    2.  If you can keep his health consistently low (easiest when paired with Thanos)

Another tip is NEVER use health packs on him.  You want him to be pretty low health start of match so he builds strike tiles.  The only time you should use health packs if he's down.  If you think your health is too low to win a match, throw him in an easy PvE match or simulator and let him self heal in combat.