Original 5 Planeswalker Ability Tweak Suggestions

Options
2»

Comments

• Nalthazar
    Nalthazar Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Honestly, my favorites are the Liliana and Nissa suggestions. The AI never really gets to the ultimate ability, so ultimates are really for player use, and the power scaling would enable them to be viable in current PvE events as well as PvP. I was thinking that this would make the PvE events more accessible to newer players, while also making the planeswalkers more exciting options for veterans.
  • Nalthazar
    Nalthazar Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Honestly, my favorites are the Liliana and Nissa suggestions. The AI never really gets to the ultimate ability, so ultimates are really for player use, and the power scaling would enable them to be viable in current PvE events as well as PvP. I was thinking that this would make the PvE events more accessible to newer players, while also making the planeswalkers more exciting options for veterans.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Instead of costing 50 each, I’d like to see story mode that awards these walkers as prizes, perhaps for learning how to use them.

Actually, exactly this... The Nissa intro we are _forced_ to do, have one for each basic walker, that would be perfect

• Marvaddin
    Marvaddin Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I agree that rewarding walkers would be good.

And believe me, when I started, I got enough crystals (200, as they were already 50 each) easily, and postponed to buy them because I had no idea they would come with, you know, cards. I was thinking... why to buy if I have a minimum deck requirement of 10 cards, but have not enough cards of that color? Lol, after the 1st one, got all in a blink.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I got the others as soon as I could afford them because I like variety, but I can see where you were coming from.  They really don’t explain anything.  The tutorials have improved somewhat, but a beginner has a real hard time figuring that stuff out.  I didn’t know you could move the cards in your hand for at least a month.
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    along with turning them off so they dont cast.
  • Kinesia
    Options
    Those are critically important parts of the game especially for paper magic players, to show complexity.

The "training" missions for new sets are actually better intros because you have higher powered cards and decks and you are instucted in strategy and things.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Great ideas!  I'm going to bring up another idea.

What if, in addition to pumping up the basic starter planeswalkers (within reason, there's still gotta be motivation to buy the other walkers in my opinion), you actually start the basic walkers out with decent cards.

We all know the cards you currently get with each walker, they're digital paperweights...hardly playable even against the weenies in story mode.  Now look at what Octagon did with Bolas, you got a rare and a mythic with the planeswalker purchase...actually decent cards you could use!  What if with the basic walkers you got a lesser version of that, example for basic Gideon: maybe even a basic combo (knightly valor + murder investigation) and one of the more expensive white removal spells.  It would be work to pull the deck off, but you'd come prepared with at least some means of fending off the game giants.
  • morgue427
    Options
    most of the basic decks have everything you need to play, granted not all have support removal but a few games should tell you you need one. Assuming people are to dumb to realize that is a mistake i think.
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    morgue427 said:
    most of the basic decks have everything you need to play, granted not all have support removal but a few games should tell you you need one. Assuming people are to dumb to realize that is a mistake i think.
    I'd have to disagree with that.  Going back to Gideon1 (a popular first choice among newstarters), how can you even begin to stand up to veteran players when his beginner starting deck is cards like Valor in Akros, Kytheons Tactics, Grasp of the Hieromancer, Charging Griffin, Akroan Jailor?

I tried beginner decks back when I was a noob and I never did fully recover the win/loss ratio of how many times I got my butt kicked in quick battles by players with better cards.  And that was before booster crafting where good cards were harder to obtain.

That is a very steep hill for newbies to climb.
  • morgue427
    Options
    oh it is, and not saying otherwise but assuming people are dumb is a good way to make everyone hate you. I have gotten my tinykitty handed to me plenty of times new and vetern player, when i lose i try to figure out how it happened, and no not just say i need xxx mythic and i will be unbeatable, knowing how to use the cards i have gotten trough random chance and make ones that work with each other makes a person better, which is done through losing i am afraid to say. and a good bit can be done without any cards, mana denial on the board can make a big difference while also knowing what their abilities are so you can be ready for them and work around them.
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    morgue427 said:
    oh it is, and not saying otherwise but assuming people are dumb is a good way to make everyone hate you. I have gotten my tinykitty handed to me plenty of times new and vetern player, when i lose i try to figure out how it happened, and no not just say i need xxx mythic and i will be unbeatable, knowing how to use the cards i have gotten trough random chance and make ones that work with each other makes a person better, which is done through losing i am afraid to say. and a good bit can be done without any cards, mana denial on the board can make a big difference while also knowing what their abilities are so you can be ready for them and work around them.
    I respect and share your magic purist position.  Chess was my gateway into this game, and the only way you get good at chess is by getting your butt kicked...a lot.  So I had a similar mindset (learning through repeated failure).

However, in this game good strategy can only get you so far a good chunk of the time.  If your opponent has the most powerful cards in the game and all you've got is a few tinykitty packs under your belt, there's only so much you can do.
  • Kinesia
    Options
    The problem is that the intro has to work for: magic players, match 3 players, completely new players who havent tried either type of game.
    Thats a _huge_ thing to cover properly in an intro. So you have to try and comfort the newcomers without alienating the intelligent folk expecting a challenge. That's not an easy line to walk....