What are 4* for?

Throw your oppinions out there but I can’t work it out. 
Interested in AVERAGE 5* players perspective off course. 

With 60 out there and two more each month, they seem more and more useless. 
To make matters worse, only 5 are boosted each week so they are on 3 monthly rotation!!!

Other than a glimmer of hope that some will drop a 5* eventually not much incentive to trip over championing them.

Is it just rewards? CP and LT really, other stuff is nice but just in a way of next CP or LT. 

Btw, have all those bench warmers champed and am in iso surplus phase of my game.

Comments

• Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Most of them will go unused. You got it right for the upper end of the game, they are for collecting to get more resources.  There are some that are usable in PVP when boosted (Rulk, Peggy, Cap Marvel) to levels equal or higher than champed 5 stars. They are also the key to unlock nodes in PVE.

Many of us hold hope that there will be regularly scheduled 4* PVP at some point and then they will be featured more often.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,736 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you have 1 5 champed like me (Spidey), there is value in Vulture, Miles, and Spider Gwen.  Coulson is crucial for Hawkeye (an upcoming champ for me). The rest?  Hmmmm.  Maybe simulator or in PVE, you could toss in Mockingbird or Nico or Chavez.  Maaaaybe...  A lot of 4’s have very little value in PvP once you have a champed 5, other than how they support your 5.

Once you have 2+ 5’s champed, well.  That’s what you use.  It’s very hard to turn down the match damage.

If you are spending, then you can get 4’s high enough to make them worthy again.  I am VIP only, really.  So it depends on what you consider average.  My highest 4 is Carol at 313 right now.  Getting some 4’s to 370 makes them worth running again, so I hear.

But yes, dilution is not just a barrier to covering and completing 4’s for newer players.  Dilution of importance and interest is very real.  It is hard to get excited about new 4’s for me.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Every 10 levels is an LT, so each cover represents 0.1 LTS or 0.015 5*s.  Some (R4G) are viable in PvE even when not boosted.  Others get used over champed 5s in PvP when boosted to 479.
  • GibbletsGrabber
    GibbletsGrabber Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    0.015 of a 5*
    I like that

I won’t get into draw rate of 5*
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have fun in pvp with Bobby, HB, Rhulk,  Carol, Mordo, Riri and lots of other 4*s when boosted, esp if they're over 330, but I still bring out the lower ones for a match or two when I can.

They gain covers somewhat consistently and feed nice loot. 

With the rng and growth rate of 5*s, if the only things I have to build are those... I would be bored into full retirement already. 
  • j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    i consider myself below average 5* player having only phx oml im46 and surfer champed.

4  stars still are a shining star in pve.  it also means i have an alternative to my 5s even after exhausting my healthpacks in pvp. 

also some boosted 4s are really fast/useful when hopping in pvp  with a 5, like peggy and riri and ice and vulture (for pp users)
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Every 10 levels is an LT, so each cover represents 0.1 LTS or 0.015 5*s.  Some (R4G) are viable in PvE even when not boosted.  Others get used over champed 5s in PvP when boosted to 479.
    Used to be like this, with broken Gambit there's no point in running even max champed 4s right now.
  • Keirain1982
    Keirain1982 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Maybe you could use your 4* characters to add some variety to your playing experience? I like to use as many different characters as possible to get rainbow coverage before using health packs. It's a challenge, but it holds my interest when I sometimes stumble upon a decent team combo.
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Bowgentle said:
    Used to be like this, with broken Gambit there's no point in running even max champed 4s right now.
    I mean, yeah you have to use Gambit now, but I've seen a couple Bobbys paired with him this week, and lots of Peggys when she was boosted,  I imagine C4rol would still work well with Gambit too and maybe a handful of others as well. 

Unfortunately it seems that the days of running dual 479s to hide from 5* MMR are over though as you can't climb without hitting Gambit, and you can't hit Gambit without Gambit.
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Asides from a handful of them (which I rarely use anyways) they are just there for champ rewards.
    Hopefully we will see more 4* PvP happening soon and that will change things .
    I have all but the three latest champed 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:

But yes, dilution is not just a barrier to covering and completing 4’s for newer players.  Dilution of importance and interest is very real.  It is hard to get excited about new 4’s for me.
    It just takes time.  Vaulting turbocharged a bunch of 4* and those chars are now reach the 350+ phase for alot of veteran rosters.  A lot of 4* are coming back into the mix
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Before the breaker of games was released, I regularly climbed on 4s or 5/4 teams as I’ve gotten many 4s to high levels including max.  In terms of power, 4s scale much better so a 440 4* will often do bigger power damage than a 460-470 5* (match damage is the only place you really lose out).

As an example, Red Hulk at max boost (lvl 479) has a health pool of 87870 (higher than any 5* at same level) and does 13k AoE for 9 ap, or 35k for full clap. (Level 508 thor Green does 20k AoE).

So 4s absolutely have their place, just not in the gambit world.

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Boosted, maxchamped 4s are pretty savage. They don't have the same staggering match damage as 5s, but their powers scale into the stratosphere. 

Obviously it takes a while to get there if you're not a heavy spender - personally my highest is Jean Grey at 325ish and she still has trouble hanging with the 5* crowd even on a boost week. But I've fought plenty of maxed Rulks, Carnages and the like and yeeeeccchhhh.

As noted above, though, He Who Must Not Be Named is pretty much making every team that doesn't include himself trivial to beat.

Also hoping the trend of occasional 4* PVP continues as they keep updating champ rewards. Not having to drag a lump of dead weight along is many fun.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    I think the higher PvP  SCL should be with featured 4*, I was hoping that would be the case when they released SCL9
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I remember when we had this same conversation 2 yrs ago except it was about how 3*s are useless once you get some good 4*s.. I can't wait for this same post in 2yrs when we say 5*s are useless once you have a 6*
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    I am in the mid to upper class in the 5* tier. My highest is a 495 Thanos, and there are several 470 and 460 level characters in there as well. 

I ALWAYS use boosted 4* if they are in the top tier and their boosted level is over 450. The only thing that a 5* brings to the table that a 4* does not is match damage. Period. The general power level for 4* is higher than that of 5*. Now, I do have many 4* max champed so my perspective is different than the average 4* player. 

Consider that Mordo does more damage per AP than anyone in the 5* tier. Cyclops can one-shot someone's OML. Riri can annihilate teams. Medusa is like a mini Black bolt @ 479. The list goes on. 

Oh, and lest we forget. A boosted 4* Captain Marvel is the strongest character in the game in my opinion. Her combo of black followed by yellow wipes out almost any base level 5* and critically damages all but the highest level characters. 

Disclaimer!!!! All of the above statements were true until the introduction of Gambit

Of course, sadly with the advent of the Gambit, I don't use the 4* very much anymore. Since you need Gambit to beat Gambit you're forced to cast some characters aside and the 4* are part of that attrition. If you aren't running Gambit you're just another target. This could have been an amazingly fun week with Iceman and Hulkbuster, but they are sitting on the bench until they're featured in PvE.

Maybe I can use them for tapping. Sacrifice them to the altar of Thanos. 

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    To keep smiling.
    Keep shining.
    Knowing you can always count on them.
    For sure.
    That's what 4*'s for.