Tomorrow i'll have my first 5* champ. Who next?

Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
I had Thanos at 13 covers a few weeks ago. Figured I'd pour some ISO into him to get him to 385 and hold him there until I got a 14th cover. That happened sooner than I thought, so I have poured my ISO into him to champ him. I ended up getting a 15th cover, too.

Just levelled up and got him to 450, now I need another 11kish ISO to afford the champ button.

My question is though, who should I prioritise pouring ISO into next?
Phoenix
Daredevil
Spidey
OML

I'm leaning towards OML for the Thanos Passive healing thing. Also maybe Phoenix because...I'm a sucker for female super heroes generally.
But there's also the argument that Daredevil is part of the current 5* tokens so there's a good chance he could show up in quantities.

Thoughts?

Comments

• stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    I'm about to champ Phoenix and then follow that up with Thanos so I think you should join me with that team.  :):D
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    I lack first-hand experience, but if you're looking for true healing and powerhouse damage, DD seems a better choice than OML. Sure, he won't get above 50% health, but you never want him above that anyway.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

What's your primary focus in the game? PvE or PvP?

I'd probably hold back on Phoenix and Daredevil since they both are strong in Purple and green like Thanos. For PvE purposes, OML and Thanos works decently enough to grind through the nodes (you still need Health packs, but not quite so many). OML is far too weak for PvP though, so if you primarily play PvP I'd probably focus on Spiderman. He's not an ideal PvP partner for Thanos, but he's not a giant target like OML.

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    Kishida said:
    I lack first-hand experience, but if you're looking for true healing and powerhouse damage, DD seems a better choice than OML. Sure, he won't get above 50% health, but you never want him above that anyway.

True, DD's heal takes a bit longer to get going, but once you get a few strikes out, his heal far outpaces OML.

Of course, the only real answer is Gambit :p

• Dragon_Nexus
    I do primarily play PvE, but I try to do well in PvP too.

I'm already noticing a shift in my potential targets. Plenty of 5* teams showing up now, which is irksome. Especially since Thanos requires health packs most times, especially in shield sim.

I guess I'll get all of them to 385, maybe, and just see where the covers fall.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanos / Daredevil is an amazing team, and I'd take him over OML any day of the week. Throw a few 4*s under the bus, and you don't need to use health packs in Pve.
    However, I would wait to champ anyone else until you see if they give Gambit a proper nerf for next season, as currently pvp is a major drag if you don't have him.
  • dudethtsawesome
    dudethtsawesome Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I'm in a similar situation. I just champed dd and now I was wondering if I should go ahead and level pp to go with him. My gambit is at 11 covers but his spread is 4/5/2 so I'm not sure if he's really even playable with just 2 black. 
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wait until you get Gambit to 13 covers @dude awesome,  unless you don't play pvp.
  • dudethtsawesome
    Just pulled a black cover for gambit last night. Now I just need one more cover!  
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll echo that Thanos + DD is pretty cool and great for fast PvE clears.  Those are my two champs and it cut my time on PvE down at least 50% when I champed DD.  It would probably be a full 100% if I did them both at once but I added Thanos quite a while before DD (at least a L360).

I don't see any of the others you mention pairing all that well, Thanos / DD seems like a no brainer to me from that list.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    OJSP said:
    Daredevil and Peter Parker makes a mean combo. We just need to stun everyone with Stick Around and then use Arachnid Agility. With Daredevil’s strike tiles and his passive Sonar Strike dealing more damage, we could easily deal more damage than Thanos.
    Before I finished Gambit I ran this combo (rather than Panthos or Bolt/Surfer) for a season or so and it's great fun and unless you run into a bad cascade saves on healthpacks.

Problem as always is that it's not so great vs Gambit.  Your strikes get overwritten and it's tough to gain ap when 2 random ap are destroyed per turn.  Currently my advice would always be don't champ a second 5* unless one of them is Gambit OR you have limited PvP aspirations. 

By this I mean no higher than 900.  You can go higher (certainly in a check room or by hopping a ton) but it's no fun getting battered down every time you push much past 1k.  And without Thanos even clearing grills can take too long and you'll get hit hopping.
  • dudethtsawesome
    I have found that pvp is different to say the least now with just one 5* champ. It's nice in how quick I can clear teams but I get hit a lot more. I couldn't make it to 900 in predator and prey without shielding at 800. But dd has saved me a ton of healthpacks on pve. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Yeah, finding the same thing. Champing a 5* that isn't Gambit pretty much ruins PvP. Nothing but 5* teams now. I might be lucky and run into a 4* pairing now and then, but they're often high level.

PvE, at least, is insanely quick now. I'd been sticking to CL7 for the longest time for faster clears with my 4*s, but I might bump myself up to CL8 when I champ Daredevil.
  • dadows
    dadows Posts: 59 Match Maker
    I just champed DD as my first 5* this morning. PvP will probably suck for awhile since I only have 7 4*s champed.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Yeah, I'm about to champ DD and PvP is just ruined now.

Without a champed Gambit, don't even bother. 5* land is just so very broken right now. Two 5* champs and neither of them are Gambit? I shoulda listened to the warnings.

So many people said that 5* land means you're going to mess up your MMR, but I got a 14th Thanos cover that seemed silly to waste, so I champed him. Then I got that 14th DD cover and it seemed a shame to waste that too. It was exciting burning through PvE, but PvP is just dead to me now. I cannot compete.

At least when I just had 4*s the only frutration was grinding down the same weekly boosted 30-60k HP guys. Now it's go Gambit or go home.
  • dudethtsawesome
    Yeah, finding the same thing. Champing a 5* that isn't Gambit pretty much ruins PvP. Nothing but 5* teams now. I might be lucky and run into a 4* pairing now and then, but they're often high level.

PvE, at least, is insanely quick now. I'd been sticking to CL7 for the longest time for faster clears with my 4*s, but I might bump myself up to CL8 when I champ Daredevil.
    That's what I did.  I'm really enjoying the fast clears this event. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

DD and Gamora should be a potent combo this week. Not Gambolt, certainly, but you should be able to take on tough teams with them and triumph with a Little luck.

But yeah, PvP is a lot different with and without Gambit. I just champed my Gambit last night, Before that I still relied on Thanos and Black Panther. It got more and more difficult finding someone who wasn't running Gambit, so I needed to be careful with who I engaged. With my own Gambit though things suddenly became a lot easier since I can actually tackle other Gambits with impunity.

• dudethtsawesome
    I just pulled my last Gambit cover a few days ago, just waiting on cs to swap covers now.  Hopefully I can get him going soon, I just need to clear out a few pending covers first.