Trying to understand the difference in hitting 1200 vs 900

2»

Comments

• Beta-Ray Bill
    Beta-Ray Bill Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Don't quote me but my understanding is that to get to 1200, basically requires you to be on Line and setup peace treaties with players/alliances in the specific slice you're playing in. Players will setup Grills (new cupcakes) and let you know when they shield so you can attack them.
    This. But basically only run shield in either order. 8,3,8,3 or 3,8,3,8 and so on. Best way to manage hp and the time you decide to climb. The more friends you have the better.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Once you break MMR and then get knock back under 900 or so does it close back up?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Once you break MMR and then get knock back under 900 or so does it close back up?
    Yes.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    aesthetocyst said:

Put yourself in the right frame of mind; be prepared for, and even welcome, failure. It's the first time you try something, it may not work out, it probably won't work out. It takes practice, and, assuming you made a realistic pan and stuck to it, the experience is worth the effort and resources spent. If you come up short, you still have something of value: new experience to evaluate and learn from. Why didn't your plan work? Did something throw you off? How can you account for that next time? etc. Don't be that guy who pops up here and pitches a "I did X and Y and spent Z and got nuthin' " fit.
    This can't be emphasized enough. The Wins-Based Appreciation Society is littered with folks who threw a fit because they got hit on their hop to 900. Rather than try to evaluate what contributed to them being hit, what they can do differently, and become more savvy from the experience, they claim that it's not fair and the game is broken. 
    These are the moments that make you a better player.

A major piece of advice as well Aes and others have mentioned that could use a little more emphasis, is hitting 900 as early as you can. I fail at this pretty often because I still dread the PVP experience (Wins-based didn't change that), and put off my climb for as long as I can. Queues start to dry up  in general north of 800 points, so you're REALLY not doing yourself any favors by delaying this climb inside of the last 12 hours. People are still hopping and climbing during this time, just not the same numbers as early in the event. It's definitely pretty scarce in the last 3 hours. You can essentially count on people unshielding around the final 8 and 3 hour thresholds so that people can shield out. So while it is a good idea to be looking for qs during these times, you definitely don't want to be unshielded yourself if you've got a good amount of points. So for last minute shield hops during these times, it's all the more important that your moves are well thought out, and most importantly of all, fast. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thank you Aesthetocyst! That's the best guide to MPQ PvP I've seen yet. I still don't usually care enough to go past 575, but I feel like I've got a better idea of how to work it when I do want to now.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Many people  talk about how many matches one can do depending on roster -  wouldn't be more accurate to give a times estimate?

a championed 4* team can be un-shielded 1.5 minutes ...
    or  a high championed team of 5* can stay out there 4 minutes ...etc
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Too many factors to give accurate time estimates - it does depend on your roster, your current score relative to the masses, and time left in event resulting in how many good rosters are in the wilderness. Is there a member from the opposing faction looking for your unshield? I've been hit after 30 sec due to bad luck and/or due to competition watching and waiting. 

As Aes stated - faster is always better. Find your 2-4 matches. Have a plan. If first 2 are fast, play the 3rd. If not, shield and keep moving forward with points.

Before unshielding, you should already know the exact order, the exact team you will use for each (if switching). the exact boosts. I like to put the lower point team first, and work up to hardest/highest point team.

Also - know the point value.  Check alliance leaderboards for actual point value, don't count on what the game shows. Some players will drop points purposely and some that you lock onto at 38 points now, will be worth 75 points in a few hours as they climb and shield.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    I just wanted to give everyone who contributed both on the thread and in PM a big Thank You!

I'll let everyone know how this first time turns out. Already had a couple monkey wrenches thrown into it...but that just makes it more fun and challenging! 

Good luck to you all in your Quest for 1200 and (early) Merry Christmas to all!
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    yeah, stickied in the tips and guides would be nice