I need the forum to make a decision for me

chaos01
chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
I got my first two fully covered 5 stars, Daredevil and Thor. I have 48 championed 4 stars. I have Mockingbird and Kate covers dying on the vine, but with enough time to probably champ them both. Should I:

a) forget the four stars and start leveling my fives
b) continue champing my fours and forget about leveling fives

i mainly play Events and play Versus to 4000 each season. 

thanks in advance. 

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you mainly play PVE and limited PVP go for it with the 5*.  Dare devil is very good and Thor is good as well. 9 I ha e champed DD not Thor yet).  You will only see champed 5* in PVP but you should be able to use a buffed 4* and either Thor or DD to still get 4K for the season.  Sim might be more of a pain but PVE will be a lot easier just with the match damage.
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Which of the two should I prioritize?
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    I'm not yet a 5* player (I have all rostered but none fully covered, and 30+ 4* champs), but I say champ Mockingbird and then Kate if you have the resources. Mockingbird in particular will be useful, especially when boosted. Those 5* characters will still be there when you're done. I'm not sure how the game will treat you if you champ one or two 5* characters and don't have anyone else to follow with. You might find yourself stuck using both all of the time, which can be tedious.

My approach, when I get there, will be to evenly level my 5*s so that there are no great power gaps. I know the game is different these days, but back when we only had a few 4*s I brought my X-Force Wolverine up to maybe lvl. 170 before I'd even champed any 3*s, and it made gameplay awful for months on end until I was able to shrink the gap.
  • Talestummy
    Talestummy Posts: 66 Match Maker
    Level Daredevil first because he will save you healthpacks. Champ 5 will help you clear pve faster.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you don’t have the 14th cover for your 5*, you lose nothing by waiting. Champion those 4* with covers expiring. The 5* will be there waiting for you. Fight4thedream makes a good point about future 4* feeders into 5*. 
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would do the 4*s. You may find reaching 4000 points a season in PVP may become very hard to do with limited usable 5*s. 
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    I would do the 4*s. You may find reaching 4000 points a season in PVP may become very hard to do with limited usable 5*s. 
    Nah, I have a similar roster and 575 per event or 4k per season is easy.  It’s definitely tougher if you champ a couple weaker 5’s, but not to the point where 4k season is hard.

I’d still suggest leveling the 4’s first if you don’t have 5* covers dying on the vine.
  • nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Deleting your account will bring you more joy.  But if not.  Stay with your 4’s
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champ the 4's. 

Only champ your 5's when you think you're ready to compete with 5* matchups in PvP, because that's what you're going to face. 
  • Knaaks
    Knaaks Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Do the 5's.  It makes the PVE game so much easier, and people are greatly exaggerating the difficulty jump in PVP.  The only 5 I have champed is Dr. Strange (Who, I assume, makes my opponents light up like a kid on Christmas when they see with their Black Panthers and Thanos' and Gambits) and I have not had any problem getting to 4K for the season, the 2K for the Sim to get the 4, and the 575 for the 10CP from the regular PVP events since he has been champed.  You will probably have an even easier time than me, since you have two actually good at PVP guys ready to go. 

By comparison, depending on how seriously I would play, it would take me somewhere between an hour and a half to three hours to clear a days worth of PVE on SCL 8(as in getting 4 clears on all nodes) depending on who was boosted.  Now, it takes me about 30-45 minutes if I play seriously, and MAYBE an hour and a half if I am farting around and doing other stuff while I play, like texting babes or whatever. 

My goal these days is to play the game as little as possible, and get the most reward I can out of the time I spend.  You have enough characters that you will likely only be using MB and Kate when they are required anyway, so really the only benefit of them will be the Champ rewards they give you.  DO THE 5s!!!!
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2017
    @fight4thedream's post.

If you lack ISO to Champ the rotting 4* covers you have, stop opening any tokens that give you a chance at 4* covers (Standard and Epics are fine, Tacos and vaults are okay - if you have the 4s they offer already Championed).

A bit of hoarding at this point will allow you to amass ISO, and avoid additional cover rot.

But...

You have to play how it makes you happy.  I know screenshots of my hoards of tokens cause some players serious anxiety.  I find the thought o rotting covers - with no ISO to deal with them far worse than watching a number slowly increment.  ;)
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    I would not qualify someone with a goal of 4K in season and 575 for per event as a pvp-centric player.  And having a single champ 5 will not ruin your MMR the way two 5* will. If you don’t have the roster, don’t give advice on what the top end pvp MMR looks like - it’s not a fun place to be without gambit.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Dd Thor is one of the best 5 star combination in the game. Your only real issue is whether you want to be fighting gambits over and over again however if you are just happy with 575 points in pvp, leveling them is a no brainer
  • VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    spectator said:
    Dd Thor is one of the best 5 star combination in the game. 
    Can you explain what makes them a great combo?  Aside from DDs strikes potentially powering up Thor’s red, they don’t seem like they have tons of synergy.  But it’s highly likely I’m missing something.
  • padei_panda
    padei_panda Posts: 55 Match Maker

I champed by first 5* (Thanos) 2 weeks ago so I can shed some insight to my experience.

I was also deciding whether to open my hoard or not, and my alliance gave me a lot of information so I was prepared for the 5* land.

Pretext: All my 4* are champed except MEH and Nico, and with 1M ISO banked I felt it was time to transition.

I will keep it brief, so in summary:

PVE will be much quicker... much much quicker. Previously, my time to open and close subs for PVE was 1:00-1:20 and 0:50-1:10 respectively. With Thanos, it is has been a steady 0:40 and 0:30.

PVP will be quite different. It is pretty much what everyone above is saying so I will not repeat. What I will add it this, it does not ONLY APPLY to the 10 PVP events; it will apply to ALL PVP events so that includes Lightning Rounds and SIM. (This was something I did not weigh up, so I now lose out on heroic tokens from LR placement...)

I hope this info helps in making your decision.

And 2 weeks later I have champed my Dare Devil, Gambit and Thor so let's see how this season's PVP plays out...

• spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    VizMantis said:
    spectator said:
    Dd Thor is one of the best 5 star combination in the game. 
    Can you explain what makes them a great combo?  Aside from DDs strikes potentially powering up Thor’s red, they don’t seem like they have tons of synergy.  But it’s highly likely I’m missing something.
    Start them at half health. Only let dd tank, every turn you create a strike tile and destroy 5 Thor tiles netting you 5ap/3k+ damage/possible cascades. Fire thir powers every 3rd or 4th turn. Win without using a health pack
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    One of my main rules on building a roster is to NEVER sell a cover of any tier. Plan a way to apply all covers within the 14 days you are given. Sometimes easier said than done, but if you play every event, have patience, and can resist the urge to pull tokens as you get them - working toward a goal will allow you to progress faster than the new character releases.

In your case, I would find a way to not lose those 4* covers. The 5* will still be there as your next project.