My dealings with Compensation

Options
2»

Comments

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Krishna said:
    I know (by playing MTGPQ) that they inherited a heck of a game code. For that I'll offer sympathy.
    But one thing I KNOW they have the capability to do is offer compensation for players missing rewards because of that terrible code. And that, they are not doing. Maybe D3 won't approve it. Then, it's D3 to blame for no compensation. But when you roll out these awesome, juiced-up rewards, then have a game which locks out a significant portion of the players, you can't just shrug your shoulders, or give a rare+ Elite Pack of cards that have been rotating in the Elite Pack for months. Come on.

And I would agree with you on your verdict had this happened several weeks earlier, but with a HUGE change to the game to be released either today or within the next couple of days...I'd assume they have all their available hands working on that and don't have the resources to also juggle the glitch (that they were likely caught off-guard by).  They released a notification pretty quickly apologizing for the glitch and saying it effected everyone equally.  So either 1 of 3 things is happening here:

1) Octagon is blatantly lying to us, (and thinking that we somehow wouldn't find out) .
    2) A significant number of players are lying (for whatever motivation that may be)
    3) Octagon didn't realize people were effected unequally, which shows they're either preoccupied with something else (card exchange) or incompetent (which doesn't bode well for the future of the game).

I'm choosing to believe that its #3 with the preoccupied, as it makes the most sense with the upcoming expected releases.   But don't get me wrong, I won't be complaining if they decide to compensate us extra though.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Truthfully, this game is by far the worst - no exaggeration - of all the mobile games I've played in terms of greed and lack of support.

* The return on investment is brutal
    * The support is awful (actually getting a person to speak to you instead of just churning out form letters is near impossible)
    * Zero remorse for known, well-proven issues
    * Refusal - inability?! - to fix long-standing issues
    * No compensation policy.

It's sad that the primary factor behind playing this game for me is to try and justify getting some value out of what I've already put into it.

Considering you've only 3 posts under your belt and the one's prior are just as inflammatory I am gonna take this one with a bit of skepticism as you've no history of even attempting to provide opportunities for change or begin a discussion.

That said, you're operating under the presumption that Hibernium and Oktagon are one and the same. Oktagon inherited a mess and they're still cleaning house.

1. I agree, the ROI has been awful since HOU was released. AHK was no where near as bad. But with Booster crafting being implemented some time this week, this point is now moot seeing that Orbs are now the most valuable currency in the game. Estimates in my coalition placed an estimated average gain of 2400 possible orbs a week for a devoted player. That is insane.

2. Support is notoriously awful in almost any business  that uses automated responses. It's good business to do so because a lack of response until 48 hours later is far worse for business than an automated response, regardless of how annoying it is. If memory serves me correctly. it is D3 wo handles this aspect, not Oktagon. 

3. evidence? Remorse implies they are sorry... this has been stated and that they are working a fix or another. Again... Oktagon does not = Hibernium

4. Oktagon is still learning the mess Hibernium left behind... at this point they have literally no history of inability for us to scream and holler about. Hibernium though..... a pox on their souls.

5. I call Tinykitty here. They have in fact provided compensation for various events; not every time though. Which is what I believe you are actually implying that they should for every infraction.

• Krishna
    Krishna Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2017
    Options
    1. Yes, The in-game fine print they released only mentioned the one frozen node. It excluded that some people had multiple nodes locked. Is that lying? sure why not. It further upset people that have been affected more than others

2. bro for real? In a coalition you can see everyone else's score. Nobody in my alliance is lying, unless they actually didn't play the nodes so their score would match their story, all this knowing that D3 likely ain't gonna do squat to compensate missed nodes due to this problem.

3. Oktagon/ D3 need to read this forum and check their inbox then. As everyone knows, Booster crafting is set to come out in the next few months (or today, whatever), and we understand that this recent problem may be hard to fix. However, understanding all of that, throw some decent compensation to people that had an extra node frozen and sent a ticket about it. Hell, Hibernum ACCIDENTALLY sent out a mythic+ elite pack, so it can't be that hard.

• hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    'Octagon didn't realize people were effected unequally,'
    I don't agree with this. I think they realised that everyone
    had a broken bottom left node so released a notification
    to assure everyone is affected equally on that one node.
    those who have problems with any other nodes is having
    a different and more individual problem, which the
    notification does not address.

HH
  • heavysuit
    heavysuit Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Considering the content they would reimburse us with is a digital good that costs nothing to produce more of, I don't see why it'd be an issue to get some kind of compensation. 
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've been having a few contacts with the support team recently and I'm part of the players that suffered the down of the second node soon enough to end this event with almost nothing. I must say that even if I had to be patient and maybe insist a bit sometimes due to automatic answers the support team always ended providing a fair resolution.
    I'll remain optimistic as the developers seem to consider this situation seriously, I just hope they'll find a compensation proportionnal to the loss (not to mention the fact that the "less than 10"  node was frozen thus making the event trivial).
    Commercially speaking I think their chances to sell their Christmas bundles that will provide booster crafting discounts might be slighter if they leave part of the customers frustrated because they were deprived of one of the most rewarding events ever seen. 

• Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I was locked out of Elspeth node from the beginning.  I didn’t finish in the top 1000.  1250 runes doesn’t feel equal to 450 jewels to me.  That said, I’m pretty sure I won’t be getting any compensation.
  • Bil
    Options
    Even if they gave every player that took part in the event the top tier reward, It would have no financial consequences on their income because magic the gathering as been designed to offer new content fast enough to maintain players investment.
    On the contrary they would probably boost incomes as it is well known that customers are more inclined to invest if they feel satisfied. 
     I'm pretty sure the Nicol bolas bundle  has seduced a lot of players also because they felt the bundle was more generous and wanted to encourage this change in in the comercial strategy.  
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    2. bro for real? In a coalition you can see everyone else's score. Nobody in my alliance is lying, unless they actually didn't play the nodes so their score would match their story, all this knowing that D3 likely ain't gonna do squat to compensate missed nodes due to this problem.

The list was a practical exploration of the possible outcomes.  I'm not accusing your teammates of lying.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    hawkyh1 said:
    'Octagon didn't realize people were effected unequally,'
    I don't agree with this. I think they realised that everyone
    had a broken bottom left node so released a notification
    to assure everyone is affected equally on that one node.
    those who have problems with any other nodes is having
    a different and more individual problem, which the
    notification does not address.

HH
    I'm not a developer, so please take this comment with a grain of salt, but I believe this is most likely the case, when it comes to this past weekend's event. The Hour of Devastation bottom left node did seem to affect everyone equally, however I speculate that when players say their Elspeth or bottom right node is also "locked," they are referring to the inability to match with an opponent, not the loading screen error. 

The Hour of Devastation loading error is anticipated to be fixed in the upcoming 2.3 update, however the team is still investigating the various matchmaking issues players are encountering.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    julianus said:

I understand being frustrated, but I don't think compensation is warranted - for the current bug, at least.

Everyone is affected equally, meaning it shouldn't have an effect on ranking - if anything, it made the event slightly easier. I joined in Platinum a day after it started, for example, lost a few matches, and still managed to get the full progression rewards and will probably get some jewels from my individual rank.

I have heard about a few people who have faced a second broken node, which is a different case, but I don't know how widespread this is/was.

Using the sampling of my alliance (13 teams), about 20% had two nodes out. 

I agree that the one node that affexted everyone should not warrant compensation — however that 20% who didn’t even have the chance to compete for the awesome rewards should be at least considered by D3. 
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If it were just this last HOD event, I just have asked it to be mended, but that was the fifth time I have gotten a node locked without loading opponent.

One in Training grounds,  one in Emrakul's Corruption event and three in HOD events.
  • Zfighteromega
    Zfighteromega Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    julianus said:

I understand being frustrated, but I don't think compensation is warranted - for the current bug, at least.

Everyone is affected equally, meaning it shouldn't have an effect on ranking - if anything, it made the event slightly easier. I joined in Platinum a day after it started, for example, lost a few matches, and still managed to get the full progression rewards and will probably get some jewels from my individual rank.

I have heard about a few people who have faced a second broken node, which is a different case, but I don't know how widespread this is/was.

I would like to give an idea. I do understand everyone was effected equally however. Because of this I could not reach progression rewards. If they lowered the requirements it would have been fine
  • Bil
    Options
    I do not think players that were aiming the top tier prizes will be satisfied with the progression rewards. It seems obvious that the progression rewards should be given to anyone... But something must also be done for the competition reward, as they are the main interest of Hod events. (things are different for minor events as progression rewards are superior to competition rewards, at least in terms of jewels) 
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    What should be noted is also that for some people lock-out of the other two nodes happened sporadically... meaning this did not occur at the same time and didn't seem to follow a predicable or "fair" pattern :smile: Hence I think this is where the fairness is an issues, especially given the high number of jewels/crystals involved.
  • luckyvulpi
    luckyvulpi Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but I've been seeing the 2nd year anniversary as kind of a thank you/compensation from the new team for all the previous team's mistakes.  Increased rewards, lots of planeswalkers with some at a discount, free rare masterpiece packs, Booster Crafting(!).

So much free things are given out that Otakagon didn't have to give, so if your looking for compensation for past things, look no further than the increased event rewards right now and all the free things were getting this month.
  • Emanon2000
    Emanon2000 Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Meh, they did a first year reward and gave out prizes and such...  I don't see it as compensation.... I do see it as a big THANK YOU!  Also an incentive to get people back as Crafting is here and a new set ... soon to follow.
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Guys, I got a good feeling about the future of this game :)