4* Apocalypse team: Rogue - Je4n - Vulture

Yepyep
Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
I've been struggling to find a good team for this event this time around, given the boosted characters. Luckily, I was almost done champing Rogue so I hurried that up and finished her.

This team absolutely crushes... Rarely does it last long enough to clear all four horsemen, though obviously this will change as he gets tougher. There are just so many useful colors that getting Rogue's green (the team's most powerful color) practically takes care of itself. And between Je4n and Vulture there are strong special-tile clearance opportunities. 

Really enjoying it!

Comments

• Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been using my old standby, OML, Jean, and Cloak & Dagger.  Jean clears the tiles, C&D produce black, and OML soaks up all the damage.

I'm thinking about switching to something else, though.  I very nearly lost once in round 4 when the board was so shy of black that they drained it all away quicker than I could collect it, and C&D didn't produce tiles to match away the countdowns.  Vulture seems like the best way to go for the AP collection horseman, but he doesn't help out Jean's removal power.  You still have to collect that purple the slow way.  Maybe Switch makes a good third?  I think she's boosted this time.
  • TheHungryPet
    TheHungryPet Posts: 229 Tile Toppler
    I'm using Rogue and Gambolt with great results. 5Gambit removes those pesky attack and death tiles. Power Siphon usually one shots Apocalypse unless he has full HP at Level 7. 

Black Bolt charges up tiles, easy to get 5 green for gloves off and then collect black to smack Apocalypse.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    I'm using Rogue and Gambolt with great results. 5Gambit removes those pesky attack and death tiles. Power Siphon usually one shots Apocalypse unless he has full HP at Level 7. 

Black Bolt charges up tiles, easy to get 5 green for gloves off and then collect black to smack Apocalypse.

Gambit is useful for this? Please describe the strategy in detail. I didn't think he would be of any help.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    I've been running Teen Jean, Rogue, and SW. SW tanks nothing, so you only have to worry about Apoc using his red. In round 7 and Rogue's super sayian move is still enough to knock Apocalypse to death or near enough to death if you don't want to wait to remove all the horsemen tiles. Jean is there for quick clean up.
  • 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    C4rol, Coulson, C&D

Enough Black for Carol to one shot.
    Enough Yellow for Coulson or Cloak to increase strike tiles or destroy Apocalypse Attack tiles.
    Triple CCC team is enough to take out all horseman without having to rely on a serindipitous board.

Con - Apacolypse may match away yellow tiles.
  • White_Deth
    White_Deth Posts: 63 Match Maker
    C4rol, Riri, GPool. All seperate colours, carol absorbs making pink, riri makes red, carol pops black countdown. Pool still one shots him with chkovs gun in round 4. If not all 3 with their individual powers will down him regardless. Riris blue to red to pool green to c4fol black to pool pink. Only colour with no offense is yellow. Its not quick but i dont bother with anything other than his single destruction lol
  • Yepyep
    I was using Je4n, C4rol, Riri. But C4rol was kind of useless when her black was not strongest (bc of Je4n being boosted way past her). I also tried C&D, but WAY too often they were turning purple, or yellow, into black. This screwed my up pretty badly a couple of time. Riri was a hit, though.

But with the Rogue, Je4n, Vulture team I've got two champs. It's a beatdown...
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm doing Rogue 552, X-23 553 and Vulture 535. Rogue's pretty much been playing defense, Vulture collects green for X-23 and Vulture's blue clears out the countdown tiles. I've been getting pretty bad boards to collect red but when I can get it I'll save it up for Rogue to help get rid of a pesky countdown that's about to go off. Was hoping that X-23's purple could help a bit but naturally it always gets placed in a corner.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    SWitch + Teen Jean is the easiest way to beat him for smaller rosters. Just make sure your 3rd doesn't mess with purple being your strongest color.

For vets, a strong enough 4Cyc can 1-shot him even at round 8.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    My team so far (Round 5) is X-23 (champed, boosted) + Rulk (champed) + Switch. Green is the strongest color, but you can just save all purple generated by the board + Switch, and at the right time generate a ton of green with Rulk, which you can then use to have X-23 claw Apocalypse in the face a few times to down him in one turn. Since X-23 is buffed, she is in front a lot too (might depend on your level though) so she can soak up damage and regenerate.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't have a viable Rogue  so I have been using Teen Jean/4clops/IM40 or Switch. I just champed vulture though so I think I'll put him in as the AP generator for the team and see how that works.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    I've been using Rogue, XFW, and C4rol. Rogue is the MVP. C4rol helps me collect green when the board is lacking green. XFW is there in case Rogue goes down. 
  • Landale
    Landale Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Just a classic 4Cyc, x.f. wolv, and je4n.  Absolutely destroying Apoc with them, most of the time without getting rid of his horsemen.  But if I wanted to, all 3 contribute in some way to removing horsemen.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
    IM-40, X-23 and Yondu/Cyclops. Thing is Apo seems to like yellow, so it can be hard getting IM-40 going. When he does its a peace of cake.
  • Yepyep
    qandols said:
    IM-40, X-23 and Yondu/Cyclops. Thing is Apo seems to like yellow, so it can be hard getting IM-40 going. When he does its a peace of cake.
    Trust me, running J34n he seems to "like" purple at the rare times it shows up in clusters. That's the thing -- you have to pick multiple strong colors...
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    qandols said:
    You've noticed that as well???  One game, the yellow AP score was Apoc 27, IM40 4.  I figured he'd be going after red hardest, since that's his only active power...but it seems like yellow is his bread and butter.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Rogue, Mockingbird & Quake is my go-to team so far. Mockingbird & Rogue are wonderful together. All you need to do is siphon Apocalypse, and collect black. The tricky part is to gather green since Apocalypse destroys AP every turn. Mockingbird's purple (at 3 covers) is enough to get you going. Or even her passive can give you AP. Once you have the siphon, just collect black and the game will be over. Mockingbird can also help there, with her passive. 

Very often I get a free red punch of Rogue that collects that last 1-2 black AP I need, and immediately after Rogue explodes and wins the match. And Quake is there for board shake and removal. Fun team. You could also win with 2 Bombshells, but that may require some timing. 
  • JRYUART
    JRYUART Posts: 95 Match Maker
    4cyke/Phoenix/switch for me.  Chase blue, purple, red in that order - let switch help with purple gen, fire phx purple to create red tiles, use cycle blue to grab more reds + dmg.  Two shots from cyke at 20 reds should down and if you have 10TU, one blue shot + one red should as well.  
  • TheHungryPet
    edited December 2017
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

Gambit is useful for this? Please describe the strategy in detail. I didn't think he would be of any help.
    5Gambit is sitting at 3/2/5 covers for reference.

Gambit's purple removes both death tiles and attack tiles. You'll be able to remove them regardless of board composition. 

His red power helps to get rid of two Apoc tiles:
    1) inflict x amount of damage
    2) get x amount of AP in your strongest color.
    3) the board shake (even with only 2 tiles destroyed) triggers cascades, further fueling AP generation

The passive component of his black power (destroying 2 random AP per turn) slows Apoc down and lessens the frequency at which he can fire his red power.

There are 5/6 colors that are useful when changed to charged tiles for this team composition:

1) Yellow fuels BB yellow to create a motivation tile to further boost Gambit
    2) Red fuels Gambit
    3) Purple fuels Gambit
    4) Green fuels Rogue's Gloves Off and is the color needed for one of Apoc.' tiles
    5) Black will trigger Power Siphon once gloves off has been fired

Give it a try, I'm destroying Apoc at Level 8 with this team.
  • TheHungryPet
    OJSP said:
    TheHungryPet said:
    5Gambit is sitting at 3/2/5 covers for reference.

Gambit's purple removes both death tiles and attack tiles. You'll be able to remove them regardless of board composition. 

His red power helps to get rid of two Apoc tiles:
    1) inflict x amount of damage
    2) get x amount of AP in your strongest color.
    3) the board shake (even with only 2 tiles destroyed) triggers cascades, further fueling AP generation

The passive component of his black power (destroying 2 random AP per turn) slows Apoc down and lessens the frequency at which he can fire his red power.

There are 5/6 colors that are useful when changed to charged tiles for this team composition:

1) Yellow fuels BB yellow to create a motivation tile to further boost Gambit
    2) Red fuels Gambit
    3) Purple fuels Gambit
    4) Green fuels Rogue's Gloves Off and is the color needed for one of Apoc.' tiles
    5) Black will trigger Power Siphon once gloves off has been fired

Give it a try, I'm destroying Apoc at Level 8 with this team.
    Good advice.. but I think your sarcasm detector is a bit faulty.
    Sometimes you have to play along ;-)