What do you think of the Archangel Store options?

Beer40
Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
Personally, I really thought it would be him and some 2 person combo of OML, Phoenix, and Gambit. So I'm pretty surprised to see Thanos and BSSM in there. Now, imo, just throwing randoms in there is strange. I guess if they're going to do that then Thanos is always welcome. But BSSM? That's a really odd choice. I'm trying to rack my old comic reading brain and can't draw a conclusion outside of they're both rich (although PP wasn't rich back when he had the black suit). So it seems more fitting to have a rich playboy instead. IM46 seems appropriate.

Eh, random thoughts and all, but it does seem odd.

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    They didn't want Gambit in there because they didn't want 2 swappable characters in there.

I would say they didn't put OML and Phoenix because they've already been in one of these new character vaults (I think), but then again so has Thanos...  I agree it's strange, but not quite doctor strange.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah I was surprised as well.

On the other hand, I got a Archangel cover with my very first pull, so that's cool.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got 2 useless Thanos covers, so definitely didn't approve. 
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    I got a Kate Bishop, Captain Marvel, Nightcrawler ,and Iron Fist. No 5*. Damn RNG.  :p
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    BSSM really doesn't fit the "angel of death" theme to me; I guess he got that suit from Secret Wars when they all got taken into space so he sort of goes with Thano5 if you squint a little, and Thano5 has that death keyword all over him, so maybe he's a third-order connection on the mind map?
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    BSSM really doesn't fit the "angel of death" theme to me; I guess he got that suit from Secret Wars when they all got taken into space so he sort of goes with Thano5 if you squint a little, and Thano5 has that death keyword all over him, so maybe he's a third-order connection on the mind map?
    If I'm not mistaken he puts on the black suit when he gets angry and sets aside his "good guy" persona in order to wreck the heads of those who have wronged him, so it does make sense in that regard.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:
    If I'm not mistaken he puts on the black suit when he gets angry and sets aside his "good guy" persona in order to wreck the heads of those who have wronged him, so it does make sense in that regard.
    That makes sense, but I still don't think he was a murderer.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker

Wolverine was also the Horseman of Death for Apocalypse at one point (IIRC, it was up to Archangel to knock some sense back into him) so OML & Thanos would have been a pair that made sense around the whole Death thing.

You could probably also make something work with Surfer (as the Herald of Galactus) - another character who acts as a harbinger.

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    Already mentioned this in the Worst Moment thread, but my Thano5 is 5/1/4 (really 8/1/2) and BSS is 1/0/0. I just know IF I pull a 5*, it WILL be Thano5 black.

In fact, that's exactly what happened during the anniversary when I accidentally pulled from the Fan Favorites store instead of the Mes Amis store. I got about half a dozen or so pulls in and the purple screen pops: Thano5 black.

So not jazzed about his inclusion and this is probably a pass for me. To your other point, it does seem to be two fairly random choices. I like what @ThaRoadWarrior said about Thanos' connection with Death. Good enough explanation as any, I suppose. But yeah, the BSS connection? I'm struggling with that one.

Best reason I can come up with is to recall the clue we had about treading the line between light and dark. (Sidenote: That's maybe the most Dazzler-worthy clue we've had in a good long while, yet hardly anyone guessed her. Maybe because the connection was too simple?) When Peter is in this suit, he's still a hero, but he definitely operates more in the morally gray areas than he normally does. You can even argue he and Warren shared a similar character arc, in that they were good guys who briefly weren't that good, but overcame the negative influences to return to glory.

Or maybe they just looked at who hasn't been included in one of these stores yet and picked one.