General Discussion Posts vs Sub-Forum Posts

System
System Posts: 1,031 Chairperson of the Boards
This discussion was created from comments split from: Nerf 5* Doctor Octopus and Banner!.

Comments

• thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    I guess this is a rather frank admission by the mods that people don't read the sub-forums then if the various Gambit threads are still in General. 

I mean, we have been saying this for years. Don't move X thread because moving it kills it. But yet certain threads can stay here if it suits.

Well, we have our answer on Gambit. They have blatantly said they prefer to fix not nerf, and their actions speak volumes.

Move along.. to the appropriate sub forum.

//Removed Non-Constructive Comment -Brigby
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    thisone said:
    I guess this is a rather frank admission by the mods that people don't read the sub-forums then if the various Gambit threads are still in General. 

I mean, we have been saying this for years. Don't move X thread because moving it kills it. But yet certain threads can stay here if it suits.

Well, we have our answer on Gambit. They have blatantly said they prefer to fix not nerf, and their actions speak volumes.

These aren't the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along.. to the appropriate sub forum.
    It's not that at all.  There was a discussion with the forum members and a poll from Brigby and everything,m and the forum overwhelmingly voted in favor of leaving almost everything in General Discussion, with just a few categorical exceptions.  It's not a good policy IMO, but it's what the users wanted.  Democracy: six wolves and a chicken deciding what to eat for dinner?

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,605 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Dayv said:
    thisone said:

These aren't the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along.. to the appropriate sub forum.
    It's not that at all.  There was a discussion with the forum members and a poll from Brigby and everything,m and the forum overwhelmingly voted in favor of leaving almost everything in General Discussion, with just a few categorical exceptions.  It's not a good policy IMO, but it's what the users wanted.  Democracy: six wolves and a chicken deciding what to eat for dinner?

This is not a democracy. It's a service.

You're a mod here, you're supposed to help make that service usable and beneficial to the users, not run it how you want. If you can't figure that out, you shouldn't be a mod. Or you should go start your own forums where you can be the rules czar and stop spending every waking moment looking for reasons to complain that the forum organizing didn't go the way you wanted. It's incredibly unprofessional.

//Removed Insult -Brigby
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    JHawkInc said:
    Dayv said:
    thisone said:

You're a mod here, you're supposed to help make that service usable and beneficial to the users, not run it how you want. If you can't figure that out, you shouldn't be a mod. Or you should go start your own forums where you can be the rules czar and stop spending every waking moment looking for reasons to complain that the forum organizing didn't go the way you wanted. It's incredibly unprofessional.

//Removed Insult -Brigby
    Personal attacks on Dayv aside (classy!), he is right though. After months of people whining about their threads always being locked and moved because they were too lazy and/or too stupid to post in the appropriate sub forums, it culminated in this policy change after a forum discussion about it. Heck, I've seen posts in GD in that time where the OP even put a disclaimer in their post along the lines of 'yeah i know this should be in suggestions but please leave it here for more views pls k?'.

IMO it has changed the forum (and especially GD) for the worse.

But this is all off topic in the context of this (troll) thread.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    DeNappa said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Dayv said:
    thisone said:

So go direct your rage elsewhere.
    Climb off your high horse about the forum policy.

Personal attacks on Dayv aside (classy!)...
    It wasn't even close to a personal attack. It was an attack on his performance as a forum moderator. The difference between the two is everything in the world in these days of cult-of-personality politics...

• tfcrazy1980
    tfcrazy1980 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2017
    Dayv said:
    thisone said:

What, doesnt that last line fall into the snarky remark thread?
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Mods receive compensation in the form of in-game currency and rewards.  Volunteer is a bit of a stretch.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mods receive compensation in the form of in-game currency and rewards.  Volunteer is a bit of a stretch.
    If it helps, I didn't know that until after I accepted the invitation to become a forum moderator.  It was a nice surprise.

The cat is out of the bag now, which is too bad, because it means there's a greater chance that people interested in being moderators in the future are interested for less altruistic reasons.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Why is it bad?  We need to keep it secret that the mods are compensated for their time?  This is why people are suspicious of what comes from those in charge here.  Everyone refers to the mods as volunteers which just isn’t factual.  

FWIW I think the mods earn their compensation but trying to veil it behind other things is disingenuous.  

Transparency and open communication buy so much more good will.