That triple dupe sting

Options
Sinitar
Sinitar Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
edited December 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
 This might have happened to other people but I finished the innistrad event this morning and I checked my rewards and the salt came pouring in due to the fact that the guaranteed rare I got the night before from points, the rare from being in 12th place (highest I have gotten so far) AND the rare I pulled from the reward booster were all the same card...ouch...what is everyone else's worst duplicate streak?

Comments

• Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The rare for 100 ribbons and the placement prize rare are always the same for me. I actually filed a ticket for this a while back but the answer was basically 'bad luck'.
    I can take one or a couple of times but every single one? 
    And since I started playing when AKH just released, I don't have many (but 12 Oath of Gideon) either.
    But now they will at least be worth orbs for booster crafting.
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This has happened to me many times,  not always but too much to consider it random.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I pulled 4 Swarms in the same day. I already had Omni so every one of them is just sitting. 
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    I pulled 4 Swarms in the same day. I already had Omni so every one of them is just sitting. 
    I pulled three copies of Swarm from the first pack that had it! I feel your pain.

I'm not really complaining though, because now they're just fuel for a guaranteed new mythic.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Rhasget said:
    The rare for 100 ribbons and the placement prize rare are always the same for me. I actually filed a ticket for this a while back but the answer was basically 'bad luck'.
    I can take one or a couple of times but every single one? 
    And since I started playing when AKH just released, I don't have many (but 12 Oath of Gideon) either.
    But now they will at least be worth orbs for booster crafting.
    I have nearly 20 copies of Channeler Initiate for exactly this reason. It was my guaranteed rare from nearly every Amonkhet event and many of the guaranteed pack rares.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    30 copies of a single rare? I'd like to see that one...
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Oops. Mistype. Fixed ;)

still a lot, though. 
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    With non-dupe booster craftong coming next week, i don't feel any more disappointment or anger getting dupes. In fact, I enjoy getting free dupes from event rewards now. More card fodder for crafting for me. 
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I got 14 copies of the most valuable Mindcensor. 
    Never had the problem of getting a dupe from same event. But the sweetness to open a mystic-dupe in a booster just after pulling the same mystic from a elite-Pack. The Cherry on top: Hailfire ... perfect for a deck with all the Aven Mindcensor.
  • Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I pull deem worthy like it's my job or something. I'm really good at pulling distended mind bender, too. I feel like I get assigned a card when a new set drops. Every set I played during the release gives me a dupe rare and a dupe mythic day 1. Feels bad, but now I just laugh it off because I seem to pull a disproportionately high number of rares and mythics. It's just the same 4 or 5 each time 
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,935 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have 7 of each: Glyph Keeper, Plague Belcher, Sweltering Suns. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Heh, we should do "poker hands" when opening 5 packs... I've haven't had a full house yet, but I got 2 pair the other day.
  • blacklotus
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    Heh, we should do "poker hands" when opening 5 packs... I've haven't had a full house yet, but I got 2 pair the other day.
    this should be fun.

updated with recommendations from @span_argoman, the available hands from best to worse are:

royal flush (5 cards of same color and one of each rarity)
    5 of a kind
    straight (one of each rarity)
    4 of a kind
    flush (5 cards of same color)
    full house
    3 of a kind
    2 pairs
    1 pair
    no pair

I place higher values on straight and royal flush for mtgpq poker, unlike in real poker, because the odds of pulling one MP is really low. I am not sure if my odds calculation is correct. let me know if I am wrong. thanks. 
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think the order is reversed in this case ;)
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Masterpieces and mythics as royal cards, so you could maybe get a royal flush?
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    Masterpieces and mythics as royal cards, so you could maybe get a royal flush?
    A flush could be all 5 cards of the same colour (dual-colored cards should count imo).

And a Royal/straight could be one each of a Common, Uncommon, Rare, Mythic and Masterpiece.

Combine for a Royal Flush.
  • blacklotus
    Options
    updated with recommendations from @span_argoman, the available hands from best to worse are:

royal flush (5 cards of same color and one of each rarity)
    5 of a kind
    straight (one of each rarity)
    4 of a kind
    flush (5 cards of same color)
    full house
    3 of a kind
    2 pairs
    1 pair
    no pair

I place higher values on straight and royal flush for mtgpq poker, unlike in real poker, because the odds of pulling one MP is really low. I am not sure if my odds calculation is correct. let me know if I am wrong. thanks. 
  • blacklotus
    Options
    today, i opened 22 single booster packs and end up with 2 hands of a single pair. 
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I get the following (approximate) odds, sorted by rarity, using HOU card distributions:
       Approx. odds | Hand<br>----------------+-----------------------------------------------------------<br>1 : 900,000,000 | 5 of a kind<br>1 : 250,000,000 | royal flush (5 cards of same color and one of each rarity)<br>&nbsp; 1 : 3,400,000 | 4 of a kind<br>&nbsp; 1 : 1,800,000 | full house<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1 : 190,000 | straight (one of each rarity)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1 : 15,000 | 3 of a kind<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1 : 11,000 | 2 pairs<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1 : 1,300 | flush (5 cards of same color)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1 : 130 | 1 pair<br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 99 : 100 | no pair
    One weird thing is since you can't get 5 commons in a pack, the 5 of a kind calculation is based on uncommons, making it the rarest hand.
  • blacklotus
    Options
    thanks @Volrak

looks like mtgpq poker is similar to normal poker hand odds except for the normal flush. :)