Nerf 5* Doctor Octopus and Banner!

dr tinykittylove
dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
This has gone on long enough! Clearly 5* Doctor Octopus and Banner are tremendously OP and game-breaking and we need to take action ASAP to save the game. They must be nerfed, nerfed quickly and nerfed hard! 

Who's with me? 

Comments

• 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2017
    No where near 5* land, so I can’t help you there.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Truly, we need to nerf Dr Ock and Banner in the same way we nerf 5* Gambit!!
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Truely their continued existence as is is a blight upon this game! 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,183 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    Considering the token we will get from selling Gambit doesn’t contain Doc Ock.. you might be getting half of your wish sooner than you think..
    You win the award for Eagle Eyes haha. I didn't even realise that
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    Either Ock’s getting a rework so that he bumps up from .0000001% usage, or they thought people would just ragequit if they got his covers in exchange for Gambit.  It would be like trading in a Ferrari and getting an ‘87 Yugo in return.
    LOL. A Yugo reference!!   Hahaha 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,109 Chairperson of the Boards
    Has anyone ever actually completed Ock's green power to victory?
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Nearly once but everytime match damage killed of the last enemy before the fireworks..ok eh. There is no fireworks or ending animation.

There have been a few that have done it. But I got fed up trying. Like deliberately trying to prolong the match to pull it off. 
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    DAZ0273 said:
    Has anyone ever actually completed Ock's green power to victory?
    mr_X said:
    Nearly once but everytime match damage killed of the last enemy before the fireworks..ok eh. There is no fireworks or ending animation.

There have been a few that have done it. But I got fed up trying. Like deliberately trying to prolong the match to pull it off. 
    There is an animation:

• mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Wow I was told there was not. Obviously the guy who said he did it did not lol
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    It's only there if you match the countdown at 1, no animation when it resolves.
  • DAZ0273
    That looks like it is totally worth the effort involved!
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards

Agreed! Banner and Ock are wayyyy too strong!!

One time I was having such bad luck that the match went way too long.. Ock managed to get off his Green Victory on turn 187

Then with Banner.. the board was flooded with green.. he transformed quickly.. I almost lost the match!

Nerf Nerf Nerf!

• StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    Be sure to turn on the in game animations when going for Doc Oc's green match ending thingy...  ;)

That would be the anticlimax of the century, finally getting to match it at 1 on the countdown and no animation because it's turned off.

On topic: I opened a small hoard about a week ago and got 6 5* Doc Oc covers (from 1/0/0 to now 2/3/2) so making him a tad more useful would be awesome. 5* Hulk is also in dire need of a fix, have used him exactly once in a match.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    I have one green cover on 5* Ock from within a few weeks of his release, and I've gotten Cunning Scheme to "work" 3 or 4 times. One time, it was even triggered by the opponent matching the tile away at just the right time. The trick is to use somebody like Grey Suit Widow who can place colored tiles on demand, but you kind of have to hope the reactor tile gets placed on green in her case. My Nightcrawler isn't good enough yet, but I suspect he may also be able to help fire it off if you can arrange to have whatever color it's on be the most prevalent board color. Maybe put him with somebody like Thor that has a decent spread of color creation capablity? Maybe when we get more 5*s in circulation we'll see some 5/4/3 gimmick events that will make something like this worth doing.

It's one of those powers that isn't inline with the "clear everything super fast" meta, but it's really mechanically interesting and fun to attempt. 

I wish they'd un-nerf that nerf they did almost immediately that changed it from auto-winning the entire match to auto-winning a round so that you could at least feel cool rolling over a wave mission quickly. It's hard enough to do that i think you probably deserve it if you you can pull it off. A different way to "fix" that power would be to allow it to be destroyed at 1 turn remaining rather than matched away. It might even be cool if his tentacle tiles somehow helped him pull it off when he was stunned. Like when you get it to final form, maybe it stuns him when it reaches 1 turn remaining, and the tentacles you have out try to target it? 

I've had Banner with 1 purple since he came out also, and I used to hide behind his bottomless HP pool in PVE when I was a 3* player. Since I've gotten other 5*s and gotten deeper into the 4* transition, I use him exactly never.
  • DAZ0273
    The rebalance to Gambit is big news so the Mods allowing free discussion in the most viewed forum i.e. General is a decent thing to do that helps players find what they want to read in one place, so thanks to them for that.

If it was me, I would have just created a separate sub-forum called "I hate Gambit", dumped everything in there and then never looked at it again.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    You know what would actually be an interesting change to Doc Ock?  Make it so his green wins an entire node. Now no need to grind a node 6 times if you manage to pull off an extravagant enough win. I'd try it.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    That was how his green worked when he was released, but it was nerfed almost immediately. Dr. Octopus was announced on 5/17, and Cunning Scheme got nerfed on wave nodes as of patch R131 on 7/17