ToP blue: Any deck w/o omniscience?

Options
tick tack - every day and every hour the end comes nearer.
I still win most of my matches - but without any joy anymore.
Every match now in the Trial of the Planes: Blue event is against a omniscience deck. It takes a lot of time and patience to wait until the loops end. I did like MTGPQ a long time - so I am nearly tempted to try to hack into their system - just to alter omniscience. 
(As I am no hacker it would be an act of desperation so)

Comments

• Emanon2000
    Emanon2000 Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    Options
    When Omni appears... I just say... J.S.S. 
    (Just Survive Somehow!)
  • julianus
    julianus Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options

I think just very bad luck. I've played the last three blue Trials and have only seen Omniscience twice, I think. Half to two-thirds of the decks are cycling, and the rest haven't had any fixed pattern for me -  a random mish-mash of weak (https://beta.mtgpq.info/cards/GildedCerodon, really?) and strong cards.

• wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hmmm... I went 8-1 in Platinum and didn't see Omniscience once. I didn't play it either, though I own it. I saw a lot of Kiora "Part the Waterveil" and a number of Tezz2 decks, some of which were cycling., as well as a nice Blightcaster build. I lost to that one.

Pretty decent mix of decks, but no Omni, for which I'm grateful.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    how many of your battles was against the same player?

HH
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I faced three Dovin w/Ominiscience in a row in TotP. All different players and beat all three fair and square...

.... if you can call a cycling Faith of the devoted/New perspectives deck fair. lol.

If I didn't have a faster build, then yeah I would have had my tinykitty handed to me in pieces

• Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Not faced a single omni, quiet and easy, plenty of cycling
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Never played against omni yet. Beat TotP/U 8:0 today. Not another baral yer. We will see tomorrow. 
  • ManiiNames
    ManiiNames Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I have been smashing folks with an old school Dovin energy deck just for fun.  No Omni in my own deck, but I do have a Baral.  Faced one Omni today but they went down in flames.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Some people have a lot of Bolas. Well, that's what I saw the most, but not Omni at all... A few Kiora.
    I was expecting Saheeli or Bolas Omni HUF to blow my house down, but it was never actually that...

• Krishna
    Krishna Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I would recommend running Saheeli with Harsh Mentor if you have them. Will put an end to any loop, not just Omni.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've had Omni since August and I've never used it in TotP Blue. I have more fun Blue decks. Just saying. 
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    my omniscience still has zero mastery points. it has been unused and sitting in my vault since i pulled it about a month ago. 
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You people who don't abuse Omniscience amaze me. Except you, @blacklotus, thanks for handing me so many easy wins with your Tezz2 cycling deck :wink:
  • wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    hawkyh1 said:
    how many of your battles was against the same player?

HH
    I'm afraid I didn't keep track of my opponents, with the exception of the one matchup against one of my Coalition members. If I remember correctly, I was matched up against Baan only once, and he was using a cycling deck.
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    faced one myself but either the ai messed it up or it wasnt as strong as it could have been, and won but i was using a kiora gather the pack with  the sand worm mythic so it is tough with a few out also
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    Options
    You people who don't abuse Omniscience amaze me. Except you, @blacklotus, thanks for handing me so many easy wins with your Tezz2 cycling deck :wink:
    playing my tezz2 cycling deck has achieve a 100% win rate and a 95% objective hit rate for me. only too glad to reciprocate the favor. We are playing against a dumb ai 100% of the time. The only time it can actually win is because it has the right sequence of cards in hand together with an insane mana cascade. I have seen too many times the ai uselessly wasting mana casting a row of Rishkar Expertise without any other card in hand or wasting its Omiscience casting 3 moons/frogs on my same critter.

If cards like Omniscience, Deploy the Gatewatch, Riskhar Expertise. Olivia, Gaea Revenge and Pig are nerfed, I seriously doubt any competent serious player will actually lose a game at all. 
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    playing my tezz2 cycling deck has achieve a 100% win rate and a 95% objective hit rate for me. only too glad to reciprocate the favor. We are playing against a dumb ai 100% of the time. The only time it can actually win is because it has the right sequence of cards in hand together with an insane mana cascade. I have seen too many times the ai uselessly wasting mana casting a row of Rishkar Expertise without any other card in hand or wasting its Omiscience casting 3 moons/frogs on my same critter.

If cards like Omniscience, Deploy the Gatewatch, Riskhar Expertise. Olivia, Gaea Revenge and Pig are nerfed, I seriously doubt any competent serious player will actually lose a game at all. 
    I agree with this as well. 

Also they could nerf cycling and competent players would still win -- I know a large number who don't do it at all and are always at the top of the leaderboards. 

The only thing these nerfs will accomplish is making the game easier -- and I am in the "this game doesn't need to be made easier" group. 
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Options

The problem for AI is that today decks are not straight forward anymore. Even fast Beatdown decks needed to be arranged or Hazorets Fervor comes after the creature. Seen very often.

• Sirchombli
    Sirchombli Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There are powerful cards in this game. Powerful cards are fun to use. Omni isn't nearly ubiquitous. In fact, I can count on one hand the amount of times it has ever been a real threat. I tense up a bit when I see it and I play more easily. As is I really only lose to really weird corner situations. And even in those I could have just played a cycling deck and completely eliminate any chance of losing. I agree with @bken1234. The game really doesn't need to be any easier. I don't really like having guaranteed wins. I would even go so far as say I'd love for it to be harder. Since I started at bfz, there have been cards that are in every deck. Take pig for example. When it was still usable in coalition events it was in a good 90% of the decks I played against. That means it's a good card. It was pushed, but I just had to make sure I was prepared for it, which just meant I had to make concessions in my deck building. Now I basically always double up on support removal for cards like omni and sandworm convergence. I personally believe that cards should only get nerfed if they're everywhere and completely broken. I don't really think omni needs a nerf. In fact I don't want to see any nerfs. This is coming from someone that doesn't have even half of the common offenders. 
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I dont have many of them either,and i assume they have them and try to prepare to see them it makes a world of difference really. omni is a masterpeice and not so many have it to make it a huge concern about it. Perhaps the worst offenders should get a quasi nerf limiting how many others it can pull. did the red totp and last one i had dropped deploy on me 5 times in one cascade, one most could survive 5 that is insane