4* DDQ Lover's Quarrel Edition: Mockingbird vs. Hawkey5

Options
DarthDeVo
DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
First off, I like the choice for the comics history. But man, does it make for a tricky fight.

I ended up retreating the first time with my 5/3/5 Level 276 because he was one turn away from his bola arrow going off, then the explosive arrow was firing one turn after that and I was down to 2000 health. The board kept dropping red AP in his lap, so he got off a few Deep Breaths, which chained up his blue I had been trying to deny.

Second match I at least got enough red to fire Bombshell, even though he hit me with the bola arrow. I can't remember if he got off a Deep Breath or hit me with the explosive arrow too, but I finished with 5656 health. Token to the hoard. No boosts.

Denial is important for this match, and unfortunately one of the most important colors to deny (blue) is weak for Bobbi. Clint has cheap powers and a passive that gives him more AP to fire those powers. So then he fires them again, which gives him more AP to fire those powers... you get the picture. If he fires his first arrow and you can't immediately match it away (because he fortifies it the next turn), you're gonna be in a world of hurt.

Try to get as much red as you can to fire off Bombshell as quickly as you can, but definitely try to keep him from getting blue. Grab purple when you can, because I believe that will steal his blue while feeding your red. But I wouldn't prioritize it over blue or red.

Comments

• granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I went the route of leaving him match-4s in colours he couldn't use. He ended up downing himself by triggering a bombshell before any of his arrows resolved.

Token brought Coulson level with Riri as my highest 4* (level 312).

(Edited to add: I was hoping it would be Clint - I like these best when the match-ups nod to the comics.)
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I managed this 4th try with my lvl 131 4/0/1 Mockingbird, used boost +2 red and all. Managed to get 2 bombshells off but was close.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oh and agreed on choice of matchup, even if it makes me sad. Clint and Bobbi were my favourite couple way back.
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    granne said:
    I went the route of leaving him match-4s in colours he couldn't use. He ended up downing himself by triggering a bombshell before any of his arrows resolved.
    I suppose that's one way of doing it, but feels very board dependent. I know the AI will take a match-4 or match-5 if there is one available, regardless of color, but that isn't always the easiest thing to set up.

Oh, and it's definitely important to have as many covers in red as you possibly can. It's Bobbi's only damage-dealing power, and in this fight it needs to count.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My Mockingbird is 3/5/3 level 229, so I was feeling good about the fight. First fight was lost, but on the second try I managed to get two Bombshells out on consecutive turns. The first one resolved, but then the Bola arrow stunned me and I had to wait. One of the Bombshell countdowns was left once I became unstunned, and it did enough damage to take out Clint. I had 374 hit points left and he had a damage arrow landing the next turn, so it was very close.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I let my 274 5/5/3 Bobbi become the Bombshell that she is and just waited for it to detonate.  Bye bye Clint!

Got a Blue Mordo, which makes him 5/5/3.  Time to level him up.
  • AlwaysWrong
    AlwaysWrong Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Options
    Very lucky to have my lvl 131 1/3/2 win on the third try. Boosted purple ap, red and critical damage, denied blue, luckily set him up for match 4s and had the board go my way to get a couple bombshells off. Won with about 100 health left and got a Wasp yellow cover from the token. 
  • rocks52
    rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Another easy win for me, this time with a lv 275 5/5/3 Bobbi.  Was a red starved board but was able to fuel it with Secret Mission and build up enough red to immediately fire off a bombshell the turn after he fired off bola arrow.  My cds resolved first so bye bye Clint.

LT got me blue lockjaw bringing him to 1/5/0
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    Very lucky to have my lvl 131 1/3/2 win on the third try. Boosted purple ap, red and critical damage, denied blue, luckily set him up for match 4s and had the board go my way to get a couple bombshells off. Won with about 100 health left and got a Wasp yellow cover from the token. 
    Wow, winning at 131 with only one red cover? That's pretty awesome! I hope you cherished that LT for a few extra seconds before cracking it. :tongue:
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    5/5/3 lv.272

Red match, red match, they matched 4 and triggered secret mission which got me more red. Bombshell. Win.

Token to the hoard.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    3/1/5, level 162 (actually 3/1/10 or something ludicrous like that :p ), and I surprisingly won first try. I got some good red drops and even though I ate a bola arrow, I managed to fire Bombshell twice within -- 8 or so turns I think.

Gambit black with the token! Now he's 0/0/2.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would have won on the second attempt when Opportunist fired off Bombshell, but the game hung on that screen. Never had that happen before

won on the 4th attempt with my 5/2/4 Bobbi, and got a needed vulture black
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Tried a few times while levelling my 5/4/4 MB, started at lvl. 70. No luck while that low, failed at lvl. 111 too, tried another time at lvl. 154 and fired off a Bombshell... next turn CDs are at 1, Hawkeye is down to about 8k health and about to take 9k+ damage and he makes a green match... and that one cascades into a triple crit or so and that ends that attempt.

Will try again at a later date, not spending a health pack on this nonsense.
  • thechairman
    thechairman Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Third try with 4/0/3 Bobbi. Used some AP boosts, still needed a relatively favorable board to get the Bombshells off before his damage machine started.

Red Peggy to 3/5/3 *YES*
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,112 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Took two tries for my champed Mockingbird.  I figured that denying blue would be big, so I did that regardless of everything else.  27 blue later for Mockingbird later, he finally had enough to cast his Bola arrow.  Second fight went much better, and I got a Bombshell off pretty early that nearly killed him off.  Match damage did the rest.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Did it on the second try with a Lv188 4/0/4 Bobbi, boosted +50% R/Y.  Pretty much went how everyone else described (deny red/blue, fire red, win).

LT gave a Coulson champ level.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Finally managed it after picking up the HfH cover and using a boatload of boosts. Kept getting boards that were just flooded with blue.

Token was a Thing yellow. Good in and of itself, but it puts him at 2/4/1.
  • pmoney82
    pmoney82 Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    wow, i pulled this one off with a 2/1/2 lvl 111 Mockingbird- boosted red + yellow damage, critical damage and red+ yellow AP. Couldn't even tell you how many times i tried it, but got close a few times early which kept me hopeful. I only had her at 2/0/2 for the first few days, so when i pulled yellow cover yesterday i took it as a good sign. On my winning round i had 80 hp left and got lucky that my Bombshell went off right before his countdown tile.

Reward was a red 4* cyclops... only usable if i can get a yellow or blue to champ him with.
  • DarthDeVo
    Options
    pmoney82 said:
    Reward was a red 4* cyclops... only usable if i can get a yellow or blue to champ him with.
    @pmoney82

I'm understanding that to mean he has 12 covers but is maxed in red? If that's the case, keep an eye on the Heroes for Hire store. You might get the offer to buy the yellow or blue cover so you can champ him and apply the red. Although at this point if (IF) you get the offer, it probably won't appear until partway through Bucky's Crash cycle.