Longterm network issues

Options
Kinesia
Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
My Wife and I can login to the game but my kids can not, on the _same_ network at the same tiem.
My wife and I are using iphone 6 pluses on wifi. My kids have ipad minis, but still newer ones that have ios 11. But they can NEVER connect to the game anymore (they could months ago).
I was waiting for it to get resolved in the background but it hasnt been. I want them back online to do the christmas stuff when they dont have school, this suddenly got urgent.

We are using the same wifi and the same network at the same time.

_Please_ ask me questions and help me work towards a fast solution..

Comments

• DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Have you tried resetting your router? How about disconnecting everything but one of your kid's iPads?

This game has a lot of weird issues, but many of them don't show up until your connection shows down a bit. I'm guessing the iPad minis have slightly worse wifi than your iPhones. Or the iPhones are being so aggressive with bandwidth it's screwing with the iPads. I've had my Xbox 360 stop being able to connect to the internet for that exact reason.
  • Kinesia
    Options
    I've played around with a lot of things including resetting things and making sure nothing else is downloading and the like.
    You're right about the network being sensitive, I can make it play up on my phone by increasing the network load fairly easily.
    This is just weird because the one son has been unable to connect under any circumstances for months and I've tried a bunch of things over the time period.
    But, weirdly, this morning when I actually wanted it to matter the most, it actually worked!
    I don't think the issue is solved or resolved in any way though, not until he can connect again tonight and then tomorrow and every day until after Christmas!
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Hmm that's certainly peculiar. I know in my own personal residence, with 3 other individuals living with me, it can get a bit weird sometimes with how the bandwidth is distributed. Not sure if that may be the case with your household, as well.

What did you do yesterday morning that enabled your son to connect? Perhaps we could find some clues there in your method.
  • Kinesia
    Options
    Hi @Brigby,

As far as I remember the only thing was that it was the morning so nothing was downloading and noone was watching anything yet. _but_ I had tried turning everything else on the network off before and it hadn't helped, so that shouldn't be the answer. It's odd.
    I've tried a few times since and it mostly seems ok now, if I fill the network with traffic it happens still, but that affects _all_ accounts not just his.

One thing, though I don't see how it could be related, is that he is the only account not connected to Facebook. So maybe there's something weird that happens (or used to happen) if you didn't have a Facebook connection.

I mention this because last night my _other_ son has a very old ipad mini (that cant use ios 11) and a newer one that he's migrated to. The old one takes about 10 minutes to finish logging in normally (and always did) and crashed more often too (probably memory related), but this time it did something different, without prompting it got past the splash screen and tried to open facebook in an external safari window and then crashed back to the desktop. (Never letting me type anything at any point.)

It's all very weird behaviour...

• Zfighteromega
    Zfighteromega Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    If you have a dual band modem I would recommend creating a seperate band for hungrier devices like your iPhones and put them on a 5g network you should do this anyway if you can. 
  • Kinesia
    Options
    If you have a dual band modem I would recommend creating a seperate band for hungrier devices like your iPhones and put them on a 5g network you should do this anyway if you can. 
    I haven't split up which devices are on which networks, I can supposedly do some QoS too, but it doesn't necessarily let me target exactly the things I won't. (I can _lower_ the priority of lots of stuff though!)