Daily Deal Math

animaniactoo
animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
I've been wondering this for some time, and in part was wondering if I'm just outta my own my own mind in part because I am really good at complicated math and I really suck at simple math but I've checked this several times (both by doing it and by doing the math again) and Vault pricing just doesn't seem to add up.

In a Cover Store, 10 packs and 40 packs are supposed to bring increased odds or a bonus goody. For example, the Heroic tokens:

Single Pull (100 HP): 100 HP/pull
10 Pack (2800 HP): 280 HP/pull but with increased chances of 3 & 4* pulls
40 Pack (11,200 HP): Also 280 HP/pull but with increased odds (I assume) and a Legendary token.

On the side of RNG, if I can "Single Pull" 28 tokens, I would think the additional 18 tokens make up for the decreased odds of single pulling vs buying the 10 Pack. Particularly if you are 2* Farming and can actively use all those 2*s for rewards over and above the 250 ISO per for selling them outright.

This pretty much brings me to my primary question for the Cover Store Packs: Is a legendary token REALLY a good value for 7200 HP, the difference in cost between a 40 Single Pulls and a 40 Pack?

Is it worth 72(!) 2*, 3*, and 4* covers, even at diminished odds for the latter two? Factoring in champion rewards for most of those covers and possibly even the 4*s? Wouldn't the CP rewards from champion levels add towards hitting the amount needed for an LT pull, with the added benefits of other rewards as well?

-----------------------------------

Now when it comes to Cover Vaults, the discrepancy becomes even wider.

Single Pull (100 HP): 100 HP/Pull
10 Pack (2800 HP): 280 HP/Pull
40 Pack (9800 HP): 245 HP/Pull

With NO increased odds or additional benefits for buying the pack because the contents of the vault are predetermined and nothing you do (outside of refreshing the vault) changes what's left in it and therefore what you can get for subsequent pulls. Given that, why would any ever buy a 10 or 40 pack when you can empty the vaults (at 40 to 80 covers standard for everything except DDQ) for 4K to 8K HP if you just kept hitting single pulls? I mean, sure, you save yourself some clicks. But at a cost of 5800 to 11,600 additional HP? Are those saved clicks really worth that?

Comments

• Nick9819
    Nick9819 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    the big difference with the vaults is you don't have 80 days to do daily deals.     lump sum or annual annuity
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Only the first pull for the day costs 100 HP per token. Because it's a daily deal, only available for purchase on cell per day. After you buy it once the deal switches to the normal prices.

So the question is do you want to get 40 pulls over 40 days/over 4 days/over 1 day? That's what factors in the value most
  • animaniactoo
    edited December 2017
    Nick9819 said:
    the big difference with the vaults is you don't have 80 days to do daily deals.     lump sum or annual annuity
    Huh. This has certainly been glitched at some point in the past then because I've done multiple single pulls on the daily deal for the daily deal price. It was on one of the anniversary vaults (don't remember which one).
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    First off you should clarify which cover store.  Based on your values I assume you mean the new Avengers one because Heroics and PvP stores have different values.

Second this is wrong:
    40 Pack (11,200 HP): Also 280 HP/pull but with increased odds (I assume) and a Legendary token.

On the side of RNG, if I can "Single Pull" 28 tokens, I would think the additional 18 tokens make up for the decreased odds of single pulling vs buying the 10 Pack. 
    Those values are the daily deal values, AKA you can only buy them once per day.  So saying you could do the single pull 28 times is not correct because the store doesn't last for 28 days so it's impossible to pull more than 3 at that price point.  The real value calculations are:

1x: 400 Hero Points: 400 HP per 
    10x: 3,600 Hero Points: 360 HP per
    40x: 14,000 Hero Points: 350 HP per

The reason that 1x is much more discounted is to encourage the little guy to throw in and take his very low % chance of winning, but not be able to do it enough times to be likely to win.

As to your main question.  No they generally aren't.  For vaults / stores that you can't save tokens from previous runs I just take my chances with free ones and daily deals and take what I get.  It's not worth chasing beyond that.  
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Keep in mind that most of the stored except typical heroic has time limit. You can pull at 100 HP per pull only once a day. If for some reason you want to pull more than that, 10 or 40-packs is a better deal.

For example, let's say you are chasing a 4* and that 4* is featured in PvP. The store will last 4 days (3.5 days to be exact). 2800 HP can give you 10 pulls from buying one 10-pack or 5.5 pulls from buy 4-daily deals at 100 hp and 1.5 full price (400 hp).

Same goes for vault. If you want to maximize getting the top rewards, you want to clear the vault. Sometimes, 10-pack or 40-pack is a better deal.

For heroic, you are probably right that it seems to be better to do 40x single pulls daily.
  • animaniactoo
    broll said:
    First off you should clarify which cover store.  Based on your values I assume you mean the new Avengers one because Heroics and PvP stores have different values.

Second this is wrong:

On the side of RNG, if I can "Single Pull" 28 tokens, I would think the additional 18 tokens make up for the decreased odds of single pulling vs buying the 10 Pack. 
    Those values are the daily deal values, AKA you can only buy them once per day.  So saying you could do the single pull 28 times is not correct because the store doesn't last for 28 days so it's impossible to pull more than 3 at that price point.  The real value calculations are:

It appears that my main premise is wrong because it seems that the spot that I tested this on (one of the anniversary vaults, I don't remember which one) was bugged as I was able to single pull several times on the same day (close to the end of it) for the daily deal price.

However, the costs in my top post are what is showing for Heroic tokens on daily deal in my game right this moment (which I did specify).

But something is wrong again here, because without the daily deal I have:

Single Pull: 300 HP
    10 Pack: 3000 HP
    40 Pack: 11400 HP

A/B pricing strikes? Anybody else have the same as either myself or Broll?
  • broll
    broll said:

Second this is wrong:

It appears that my main premise is wrong because it seems that the spot that I tested this on (one of the anniversary vaults, I don't remember which one) was bugged as I was able to single pull several times on the same day (close to the end of it) for the daily deal price.

However, the costs in my top post are what is showing for Heroic tokens on daily deal in my game right this moment (which I did specify).

Again, which store?  I pulled those values from here https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/69340/limited-time-avengers-vault-legendary-store-12-8-17#latest  There is sometimes variance from store to store so without qualifying a particular store we could be comparing apples and oranges.
  • animaniactoo
    broll said:
    broll said:

Second this is wrong:

Again, which store?  I pulled those values from here https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/69340/limited-time-avengers-vault-legendary-store-12-8-17#latest  There is sometimes variance from store to store so without qualifying a particular store we could be comparing apples and oranges.
    Heroic tokens, as specified in my OP and in this last one. I didn't realize you were pulling your numbers from the avengers vault since I did specify both times.
  • animaniactoo
    Is this a language/term confusion on my part? As far as I know, a heroic token is only for the Heroic Cover Store, and not for any of the vaults. The vaults have their own tokens named after the vault?
  • PenniesForEveryone
    PenniesForEveryone Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Is this a language/term confusion on my part? As far as I know, a heroic token is only for the Heroic Cover Store, and not for any of the vaults. The vaults have their own tokens named after the vault?
    Correct.  Typical stores are as follows...

Heroic:
    Single Pull: 300 HP (Daily Deal 100 HP)
    10-Pack: 3,000 HP (Daily Deal 2,800 HP)
    40-Pack: 11,400 HP (Daily Deal 11,200HP)

Character PvP Token:
    Single Pull: 400 HP (Daily Deal 200 HP)
    10-Pack: 4,000 HP (Daily Deal 3,800 HP)
    40-Pack: 16,000 HP (Daily Deal 15,800 HP)

PvE or Other Vault:
    Single Pull: 400 HP (Daily Deal 100 HP)
    10-Pack: 3,600 HP (Daily Deal 2,800 HP)
    40-Pack: 14,000 HP (Daily Deal 9.800 HP)
  • broll
    My bad. My brain sucks at reading comprehension more than my pride lets me admit. I do see it in there. 
  • animaniactoo
    broll said:
    My bad. My brain sucks at reading comprehension more than my pride lets me admit. I do see it in there. 
    All good. It's Friday. After noon. My reading comprehension dips sharply myself.