Guidance needed on when to start champing 5*

vinnygecko
vinnygecko Posts: 241 Tile Toppler
I'm a semi-casual player who after 4 years have mostly completed the 4* tier (40 are champed, ranging from 271 to 316).  There's only a few I'm anxious to champ once I get enough covers (Vulture, Mockingbird, Rogue). I mostly just play PVE now (some days only DDQ), and play PVP just enough to get the 10-pack each season.

I've always been a little weary on raising up my 5 stars while I was still raising up my 4*s. I'm wondering if it's now time to say f**k, let's get these 5*s raised.

I have 3 fully covered 5*s:

Thanos (extra cover expires in 10 or so days)
Black Panther 
Spiderman (Peter Parker)

I also have Hawkeye at 11 covers and Strange at 9.

Is this group strong enough to start leveling up and champing? When I do play PVP will I be stuck using Thanos/BP? I have a Thanos cover on the vine and have already sold a couple of Spidey since I wasn't ready at the time.

Roster in my signature is from last week (not too many huge changes). Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanos works well with both Panther and Spider-man, so I think you could have a worse group to start with. Strange is good for PvE purposes too.
    Yeah, you will probably rely on Thanos a lot in PvP, and he's not the top dog over there anymore, but I don't think that should stop you. They are good enough to start.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards

I recently championed my first 5* (Bolt, Widow, Strange), and immediately my PVP changed.  It's a sea of Panther / Thanos, or Gambit / Bolt, or other combination of championed 5*, most 10 or more levels higher than mine.

Maybe it's just the way the boosted lists have worked in the past few weeks, but my 4* (the highest are at 330 or so) don't last long enough; to stand a chance of winning against anything other than seed teams I have to use my 5* and a lot of ISO for skipping.

So, yes, you'll be stuck using Thanos / Panther in PVP.  But PVE will be a breeze.

• vinnygecko
    vinnygecko Posts: 241 Tile Toppler
    Thank you both - I think I will take the plunge and hope I don't get killed too much in PVP.  I'm usually 6 months behind the meta haha, I figured Gambit was a game changer and Bolt is still awesome.  I'm still figuring out Spidey but an encouraged on what I've read so far.

Very happy that Medusa is now giving out Black Bolt covers - just got two this past week :smiley: