Opening the hoard soon... bonus hero woes!

Options
Quebbster
Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

So my Latest Legendary hoard is closing in on 200 pulls, so it looks reasonable I'll be able to have a grand opening Before Daredevil leaves the Latest Legends pool - I quite like his Powers and would like to get him while he is still easily available. However, I am unsure how to proceed with my bonus heroes. I see Three big attractive options:

* Daredevil - because he is leaving soon and this would give me more chances to cover him. I have more time to get covers for Gambit and Thor.

* Gambit - because duh. The best fivestar in Latest Legends, and more covers for him can make a huge difference.

* Black Bolt - dark horse candidate, best partner for Gambit. Mine is only 4/2/0 though, so the risk of getting useless covers (now or down the line) is fairly high unfortunately.

I aim to have at least 250 Latest Legends stockpiled Before opening - a Little less than recommended, but on the other hand I have one green Daredevil cover and two black Gambit covers already, so I Think the chance to cover all 3 is still high enough. That means I will likely get two fivestar bonus covers, so if I go with Black Bolt he will still not be fully covered.

There's also the issue of what my fourstar favorite should be. I could set Medusa as my favorite - mine is level 291, so if I get Another nine levels in her that's Another black Black Bolt cover as a champion reward, getting him to 4/3/0, plus possibly whatever bonus covers I pull. That's really the only idea for a fourstar champion I have right now - I have most of them champed and should be able to champ the ones that are undercovered with the pulls anyway, so it's mostly a question of who I want to feed extra levels into. Gamora is dang tempting though, mine only has five covers so far and there's those Thanos reward covers...

I am rambling now, ain't I? I'll leave the floor open for your feedback and suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    * Black Bolt - dark horse candidate, best partner for Gambit. Mine is only 4/2/0 though, so the risk of getting useless covers (now or down the line) is fairly high unfortunately.

Not sure where your Medusa is leveled, but regardless you're probably gonna hit 5 on this before you finish him out.  If it were me I'd probably set him as BH and if/when you get a Green, switch the BH to one of the other two.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing for the whole hoard.  Getting to 5/2/0 wouldn't be great, but getting to 5/3/1 would go a long way in allowing Medusa champ levels help you finish him off.

I personally don't like to ever set a BH on latest.  The rate of BH is always the same regardless of Latest or Classics so I would use your BH to help fill out your Classics vs tag a latest.  Even with a less than 300 pull you'll likely get one if not both.  With the advent of 4*s giving 5*s as long as that trend continues whoever you don't finish should be easier to do than before.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    broll said:

Not sure where your Medusa is leveled, but regardless you're probably gonna hit 5 on this before you finish him out.  If it were me I'd probably set him as BH and if/when you get a Green, switch the BH to one of the other two.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing for the whole hoard.  Getting to 5/2/0 wouldn't be great, but getting to 5/3/1 would go a long way in allowing Medusa champ levels help you finish him off.

I personally don't like to ever set a BH on latest.  The rate of BH is always the same regardless of Latest or Classics so I would use your BH to help fill out your Classics vs tag a latest.  Even with a less than 300 pull you'll likely get one if not both.  With the advent of 4*s giving 5*s as long as that trend continues whoever you don't finish should be easier to do than before.

Medusa is currently level 291, so I have already passed one green cover, the next one (at level 300) is black, then level 320 nets me a yellow.

And yeah, I might interrupt the opening if I feel I have gotten enough goodies. If there's a deluge of Daredevil covers early on I might as well save the rest of the pulls for whatever the next fivestar is.

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    To give you perspective. I have recently opened a hoard of similar size. Got 4 bonus hero 5* covers (only two I could use as I had Thanos as a BH and I've landed two in a color I already had 5). So it will hardly move a needle if you will get the same. 

I suggest going for Bolt and change if you get the fifth green. Change to what? DD or Gambit to make sure you finish them of with the hoard. I had about 250-260 pulls and couldn't cover Thor.

Also be sure to contact support the moment you have sixth cover in any color. I didn't do that part correctly, was forced to champion Gambit and DD immediately (costed me a fair share of 3* max champions). For me they would take around 48h to swap covers. A lot depends on the time zones as well.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    I have a fairly sizeable ISO stash, so I am not too worried about running out. I should be able to champ who needs to be champed, but I guess you should never say never.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    The Family Legends store is definitely interesting to me, with the 5% chance for more Black Bolt covers. I do Believe I will open the hoard Before it expires, if I get lucky and get enough Daredevil and Gambit covers early on I might spend some CP on Family Legends instead and hope for more Bolt covers...
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options

I'd set BH to DD and pull LL until you complete him. Goal being to get him out of the way as quickly as possible and have as many pulls left to decide further. (continue pulling LL with a new BH / wait for DD to rotate out of LL / pull from another vault)

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nothing is certain. Look at my 278 pulls of family legends. Got under 10% and only finished Phoenix who had 8 covers to start with. RNG can swing both ways, you may get lucky and cover them in less pulls, but you may end up like me or worst. 
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Starfury said:

I'd set BH to DD and pull LL until you complete him. Goal being to get him out of the way as quickly as possible and have as many pulls left to decide further. (continue pulling LL with a new BH / wait for DD to rotate out of LL / pull from another vault)

Definitely a possibility, though I would like Gambit covered to run with Bolt too. But it does give options, and the chance to get Bolt from the Family vault is greater than the chance to get him as a bonus hero. On the other hand, Bolt can't get swapped by CS, so the more covers I get for him the less the chance of covers going to waste if I go all in.

Pongie said:
    Nothing is certain. Look at my 278 pulls of family legends. Got under 10% and only finished Phoenix who had 8 covers to start with. RNG can swing both ways, you may get lucky and cover them in less pulls, but you may end up like me or worst. 
    Obviously. I got very lucky with my last hoard, but I don't expect to get that lucky again. It's better to plan what to do in case of an abundance though.

• Quebbster
    Options
    So I had my grand opening. Did it in several runs. The first run (around 200 pulls, maybe?) ended when I realized I had a sixth black Gambit cover and a sixth purple Daredevil cover, so I asked for swaps. Once they went through I kept opening Latest until Daredevil got his thirteenth cover, fortunately he ended up with a 5/3/5 build. Then I spent the rest of my CP on Family Legends. Now I am waiting for Daredevil to leave the token pool before I start opening again, trying to get more Gambit and Thor covers...

Anyway, the way it played out:
    Daredevil now 5/3/5, still at base level (might level him up a bit for Enemy of the State though...)
    Gambit currently 2/4/5
    Thor currently 3/2/5
    Black Bolt currently 5/4/1
    Medusa currently at level 318, so she will drop another yellow Bolt cover soon enough.
    Nico Minoru currently 3/4/5 level 250, all other fourstars championed.
    Severe ISO drought after leveling all those fourstars, but I am making sure I always have half a million available until I can champ Gambit...

I think I will keep Black Bolt as my bonus hero for a little while. If a yellow cover drops that's great, if a black cover drops it gets tricky, but he's still worth pursuing. I don't think I got a single fivestar bonus hero in this hoard, but my overall fivestar rate was a bit poor too so perhaps that's not surprising.