This game would be better in the long run if Origins never leaves standard...

Options
Drewster
Drewster Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
edited December 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
BUT is fixed accordingly to the current standard with mana costs of various cards and power levels Etc changing (again, just accordingly to the current standard rotation.)

I will explain more fully after I play Commander at my LGS why I think this.

While I am waiting for more players than just two I will explain this in a nutshell:

First reason: Origins is a great beginning lore-wise to the basic Planeswalker's stories. The flavor is a perfect introduction to Magic for new players.

TBC...
(Ok I'm back.)

Second reason: totally revamping the game with a new basic set (even though Wizards releases a new basic set around summer of next year) would very very likely be detrimental to new players because of the ease-of-use Origins is focused on with the five basic Planeswalkers. This argument could not hold water if (and only if) those in development really do make the new set Wizards releases on par pretty much exactly the same as the current origin set. I would rather the development team be focused on other matters then putting out a new basic set with all of the logistics.

Third: this point is mute (but maybe not forever) because of the new booster crafting, but it is very very hard to get a complete set of Origins in the present update leaving much room for variations against other players. The fix of course would be to allow booster crafting of all sets except Origins and I would agree with this choice because of it always staying in the game.

Fourth reason: making current players and new players have to buy brand new basic set cards like Hearthstone did is very money grabby and even though Wizards does this all the time, MTGPQ would shine and have positive reviews from players throughout the years because of staying consistent with the one basic set it begin with. (I think this because of the original tutorial and story among other not picky reasons.)

Fifth reason: in changing the card power of various individual cards of the Origin set based on whatever is currently standard it would make the set sort of like a stock (in the stock market) and I think this is a cool idea.

Okay, so those are the reasons I could think of for this position I have. I think it would be one of the most professional looking moves the companies could choose to act on for fans. What are y'all's thoughts?

Comments

• Drewster
    Options
    (^Updated to completion.)
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    i too prefer Origins to remain as a standard format set forever, as a beginners starter set for new comers to the game. Changing the starter set and tutorial every time a new set drops in to become the new starter is rather a waste of limited programming resources. 
  • Drewster
    Options
    @wereotter ^This is one of the greatest ideas ever for this! *Major high five!
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @wereotter great idea. that should be the way to go about refreshing origins/core: add new cards to the set. 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @wereotter, I'm on board with this as well!  It's important that new players can feel like that they're starting out with a chance.
  • Drewster
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Thank you Oktagon and D3!!! Origins is 4eva!

https://d3publisherofamerica.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005652643-Booster-Crafting-Details-12-1-17-?mobile_site=true

Now... Please describe how exactly will these cards be changed each standard rotation so we continue to see imaginative decks. :)
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    I noticed that it's divided into 3 sets (Legacy, Standard, Newest) Origins is placed with Legacy, that's great that it's cheaper!  ...how does that effect the purchasing though?

For example, would I get to pick the set I want my non-dupe to be from?  Or does that mean if I want to craft Origins, I'll have to run the chance of getting any other legacy set's non-dupe from the craft instead?

• Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No.  Origins can be selected separately 
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    No.  Origins can be selected separately 
    excellent :D