Mockingbird's Opportunist

JSP869
JSP869 Posts: 822 Critical Contributor
I was running Mockingbird, Gamora, and Scarlet Witch, and in one particular match I had just one opponent left. They made a Match 4 and Mockingbird's Opportunist gave Gamora a free turn, being Deadliest Woman. All the purple tiles became special friendly tiles, and Deadliest Woman's passive immediately procced to 1-shot my final opponent.

I recently learned about the background color of the board changing from black for the AI's turn to blue for the player's turn, and in The Hulk event I noticed that when Opportunist procs the background is black, which it would be, because it's still the AI's turn, but that I don't get the free turn until the background has turned blue, meaning it's now my turn.

And now that I've noticed that, it makes me wonder about my Deadliest Woman kill in my first paragraph.

If the background is blue that means my turn has begun, but that means Gamora cast Deadliest Woman at the start of my turn, which means its passive shouldn't have been able to proc because the text says, "At the start of the turn, if all Purple tiles are friendly special tiles, Gamora removes those tiles and downs the target."

But at the start of my turn, by which I when the background changed from black to blue, Gamora hadn't had her free turn, and so the Purple tiles were not yet special friendly tiles.

Did Mockingbird's Opportunist recently get fixed/tweaked so any free moves don't occur until the start of the Player's turn, or the team with Mockingbird on it?

Or are the free moves actually occurring between the AI's turn and the Player's turn, even though the board background may have changed colors?

Comments

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    You lost me at background changes colors. I assumed your free power fired at the end of their turn.

But really, what difference does it make? You want to plan ahead for the rare chance it a) triggers deadliest woman and b) that triggers the insta kill?
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    The order in which abilities are processed has always been wonky. I would personally just not worry about it and enjoy it when it works in your favor.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    in the last pvp vulture always landed and hit his green aoe before any free power from mockingbird fired. 
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 822 Critical Contributor
    Straycat said:
    You lost me at background changes colors. I assumed your free power fired at the end of their turn.

But really, what difference does it make? You want to plan ahead for the rare chance it a) triggers deadliest woman and b) that triggers the insta kill?
    I assumed the free power fired at the end of their turn, too, and maybe it does, but maybe the background color of the board just changes to blue first (your color) even though it's still the end of the AI's turn.

Is your confusion from not noticing the background color changed? No sweat. I've been playing for 3 1/2 years and never noticed it, either. Basically, when it's your turn the background behind the tiles is blue, and when it's the AI's turn the background is black. So the AI has their turn, they match 4 and proc Opportunist, their turn ends, signified by the background changing from black to blue, and then the free power fires. That would imply the free power is firing at the start of your turn, but Gamora's instakill, courtesy of Mockingbird's Opportunist, maybe that means the game doesn't consider it to be your turn until you actually have control and are able to make a match. 

When I'm playing Gamora, I am always working towards getting her Deadliest Woman instakill :)

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I could be mistaken, but I've been confused by her yellow as sometimes it happens at the end of the AI turn, and sometimes at the beginning of mine. Is this a bug?
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    JSP869 said:

Is your confusion from not noticing the background color changed? No sweat. I've been playing for 3 1/2 years and never noticed it, either. Basically, when it's your turn the background behind the tiles is blue, and when it's the AI's turn the background is black. So the AI has their turn, they match 4 and proc Opportunist, their turn ends, signified by the background changing from black to blue, and then the free power fires. That would imply the free power is firing at the start of your turn, but Gamora's instakill, courtesy of Mockingbird's Opportunist, maybe that means the game doesn't consider it to be your turn until you actually have control and are able to make a match. 

When I'm playing Gamora, I am always working towards getting her Deadliest Woman instakill :)

I thought I knew everything about this game, and little things like this still surprise me
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is definitely an order to how the game resolves Start of Turn events, but it's not particularly clear what it is. I suspect it's related to colour of power and/or character position within the team, but have no actual knowledge of what it might be.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Opportunist can even resolve DURING the AI's turn, if the match-4 is made as a result of an expiring CD (on the beginning of their turn). I've seen that happen multiple times. Extra funny when a stun power gets fired.