Event Rewards

Options
ZW2007-
ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
Am I the only one bothered by events not rewarding rares from the proper sets? For example, Terrors in the Shadows states that the 100 ribbons reward is a Shadows over Innistrad rare, and the top 50 reward is a Shadows over Innistrad rare in addition to other things. Yet every time I play that event I get an Eldritch Moon rare. Now this bothers me because I only played the event for the Shadows over Innistrad rare because I don't have them all but I do have all the Eldritch Moon rares. After the last Terrors in the Shadows event I submitted a ticket to Customer Support stating that I received the wrong reward and should have gotten a Shadows over Innistrad rare. They informed me that the reward I received was in fact correct and that 'Eldritch Moon is part of the sub set for Shadows over Innistrad.' I wasn't going to argue with them because that never gets you anywhere but I've only ever gotten Eldritch Moon rares from Terrors in the Shadows, not a mix of SOI and EMN rares. Next comes Emrakul's Corruption. This rewards Eldritch Moon rares. I've never received anything but Eldritch Moon rares. Nodes of Power rewards Oath of the Gatewatch rares. I've never received anything besides Oath of the Gatewatch rares. I understand these are the smaller sub sets and it states you will get a rare from these smaller sub sets but why then is Terrors giving rewards that seem to only come from the smaller sub set when it specifically says SOI rare? An EMN rare is not an SOI rare.

The point I'm trying to make is this, either Terrors in the Shadows is giving the wrong rewards or Emrakul's Corruption and Nodes of Power are giving the wrong rewards. I know someone is going to disagree and oh boy do I expect some silly counter arguments that will sound valid but be irrelevant to what this is about. Plain and simple, Terrors in the Shadow should give only an SOI rare OR Emrakul's Corruption and Nodes of Power should give SOI and BFZ block rares respectively. I'd prefer Terrors and EC to give an SOI block (SOI and EMN) rare while NoP gives a BFZ block (BFZ and OGW) rare. I'm sure a lot of people have all or most of the EMN and OGW rares by now and wouldn't mind the rewards being more broad. On the flip side, anyone that doesn't have all or most of the EMN and OGW rares probably also doesn't have a lot of SOI or BFZ rares so they would benefit from broader rewards too. It's almost like they don't want us to get new cards.

Comments

• Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    This is basically rectangle vs square.

Since at the end of the block emn was absorbed by Soi to form a mega expansion available only from Soi boosters, it's possible to argue that while a rectangle is not a square(Soi not emn), a square is a rectangle(emn is Soi).

Shaky logic on their part, but logically consistent.

Look on the bright side. You might consider the reason you have most emn rares could be because you previously benefited from this system of drawing from a smaller pool. 

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,935 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Or it could just be that your RNG luck has only had you pull EMN rares as rewards to this point.

But I'm in the same boat as you with BFZ rewards. I can only seem to get OGW rares when I need BFZ rares. 
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Except I've seen events that specify EMN, OGW, and AER rares as rewards, which would explicitly not include rares from the large sets they're tied to. So it's fair the poster assumed that if it specified SOI that EMN rares would be excluded. 
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,935 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It might be fair, but it's not necessarily accurate. Oh boy's rectangle/square analogy nails it. 
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I know the idea at the time these events were converted was to keep giving rewards from the newest set of the time, but it is odd to play an AER themed PvE event for AKH cards...
  • Drewster
    Drewster Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I know the idea at the time these events were converted was to keep giving rewards from the newest set of the time, but it is odd to play an AER themed PvE event for AKH cards...
    I agree. It would make the game more professional-looking at least: giving awards of the same set which is focused on in the event. Nodes of power, could be any reward though really.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's also _good_ for new players to be able to get just bits and pieces  of the older sets, I think the old events should stay with old rewards.
    The biggest drive for some people is "new cards" and changing old events to the current rewards people get everywhere else totally ruins the possibility of this.

I've said before that making the "free cards" standard only, while I understand the reasons why, actually damaged the experience for my kids and my wife. The kids don't care about set or anything else yet, they _only_ care whether they already had it or not. It's hard to get them to even login right now because a single free card that might be a dupe is not motivation.
    But if you changed it to require them to _play_ a game (not win, just play and not quit) and they got a 3 pack of cards again that including non-standard (if you want guarantee 1 standard or something) then they'd be motivated into playing again, and that's what I want because _I_ want to build them into players, but I need the actual cooperation of the company because I don't have any way to convince them against the "excitement" of other online games.

• ZW2007-
    Options
    I do think OhBoy nailed it with the rectangle vs square argument but that wasn't quite the point I was getting at. It's more an issue of transparency that irritates me. I'm not sure if there were events that rewarded KLD after AER was released but when a reward says [specific set] rare, one expects a [specific set] rare, as seen from the cards screen when you filter by set, and not a [specific block] rare. Basically it makes no sense that some rares are only rewards as block wide rewards while other rares are available as small sets while others still aren't available as rewards at all. I would love to see NoP reward BFZ block, **** and EC reward SOI block, and FirF and EmO reward KLD block. Keep AKH and HOU events separate since they aren't combined sets in boosters and call it a day. Put those events on a balanced rotation and voila, everyone has some access to all the sets, even the sets that seem to never appear for purchase in the vault.
  • ZW2007-
    Options
    I just noticed we get OGW - Part II tomorrow and the final progression reward for platinum is a KLD rare. Lets see if we end up with KLD rares, AER rares, or a mix of both.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I’m betting on a mix
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2017
    Options
    ZW2007- said:
    I do think OhBoy nailed it with the rectangle vs square argument but that wasn't quite the point I was getting at. It's more an issue of transparency that irritates me. I'm not sure if there were events that rewarded KLD after AER was released but when a reward says [specific set] rare, one expects a [specific set] rare, as seen from the cards screen when you filter by set, and not a [specific block] rare. Basically it makes no sense that some rares are only rewards as block wide rewards while other rares are available as small sets while others still aren't available as rewards at all. I would love to see NoP reward BFZ block, tinykitty and EC reward SOI block, and FirF and EmO reward KLD block. Keep AKH and HOU events separate since they aren't combined sets in boosters and call it a day. Put those events on a balanced rotation and voila, everyone has some access to all the sets, even the sets that seem to never appear for purchase in the vault.
    Shouldn't EC reward BFZ?
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    EC should reward EMN cards because it was introduced during that set.
    NOP should reward OGW cards.
    Terrors in the shadows, SOI.
    Oath of gatewatch also from OGW set. As all of these events originally did.
  • ZW2007-
    Options
    ZW2007- said:
    I just noticed we get OGW - Part II tomorrow and the final progression reward for platinum is a KLD rare. Lets see if we end up with KLD rares, AER rares, or a mix of both.
    So I got a KLD rare, anyone get an AER?

khurram said:
    EC should reward EMN cards because it was introduced during that set.
    NOP should reward OGW cards.
    Terrors in the shadows, SOI.
    Oath of gatewatch also from OGW set. As all of these events originally did.
    I agree that's what they should reward but assuming CS was right that it isn't a bug and an "SOI rare reward" means you could get an SOI or EMN rare, then I think they should restructure all the old event rewards to give rewards for their block rather than specific sets. The reason I say this is because there never was an event that rewarded a BFZ rare so it would be nice to have that.