I'm in the elder game and I've been bored for a while...

Rykard
Rykard Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
It's day 1405 and I've been bored since ~1095. (I don't really remember if it was day 1095. It just seems like I've been bored since my 3 year anniversary.) And my whole alliance is bored. So I feel like I'm not alone. I want to spark a real conversation about how to freshen up this game, because I do love it, or I did at least at one point. I want to spell out why I'm bored with MPQ, what I think may liven it back up for me, and I want to try to keep it brief so it's actually read.

Where I'm at: Day 1405. I'm not a big spender in the game so I spend a lot of time grinding for ISO to level up a bevvy of 4 stars at about a rate of one a month. I'm sitting in that awkward roster transitional period where I'm facing more 5 star PVP teams that are very difficult. My 4 stars can't hang, and I don't have enough 5 stars leveled high enough to be consistently competitive for long term play sessions.

The last time I started to get real bored with MPQ they hit us with Champion heroes and gave the game the booster shot it needed for me. With PVP not being fun, I've just been grinding PVE. I grind PVE to grow my roster, so PVE is easier, to grow my roster, so PVE is easier, to grow my roster..... But what's the point of this roster if I'm not facing off in PVP? But even then, PVP isn't fun because of the weekly buffed heroes list. I used to like the weekly buffs but now if you're not using a full team of buffed heroes, or have high level 5 stars, you just can't hang. And the variety in the fights because of the encouragement to use the buffed characters is boring. I prefer the simulator because you see more variety and creativity and I get the added reward of formulating a team that will best counter this other player's team. And I was kind of excited about win based rewards in PVP... then *poof* that's gone. And the daily resupply rewards used to be so awesome. "Man a 4 star every week! This is awesome!" Now it's like, "Man... a single champion reward every week... zzzz" So with all that being said...

What do we do freshen up MPQ?: I don't even know. I feel like I need a big new feature/mode. Or at least a way to accelerate my 5 star roster building.

New modes:
  • Real time PVP: Why have we still not gotten this? The devs certainly have a reason. It's not like there oblivious to the idea. 
  • Horde mode: Super long waves of enemies. Kind of like the gauntlet except one enormous fight with good rewards. Variations could have restrictions on the heroes you can use, or the abilities available. You could do an Endless Mode with a leaderboard.

New features:
  • ISO/CP Gambling: Bet my own ISO that I'll win this fight and based on my likelihood of winning it I'll get a greater payout if I succeed. (Obviously DP's Whales throw a monkey wrench in that (I bet they regret that power in hindsight))
  • More reliable (and realistically attainable) 5 star cover gaining: Sure in the beginning 5 stars were mythical and rare. That was great then. Now we've got a ton of 5 stars and their necessary for advancement. And it feels like in order for me to proceed I'll have to spend a bunch of money or continue spending a bunch of time. Like a lot of time. Too much time. 

I don't know. I used to love MPQ. And I'm still doing my Deadpool Dailies but only because one day they may add something that will revitalize the game. Is anyone else feeling this way? Have you quit playing? Probably not if you're on the forums reading this. In the end, I'm aware this is "just a game". But it's a game I've invested A LOT of time into, and has been a regular thread of conversation and fun between me and 19 other friends. I'd like to keep liking it.

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Will you be excited when they release 6*s?  There seems to be more and more suggestions that they might move that way soon.

Also this seems to be already happening:
    Rykard said:

• More reliable (and realistically attainable) 5 star cover gaining: Sure in the beginning 5 stars were mythical and rare. That was great then. Now we've got a ton of 5 stars and their necessary for advancement. And it feels like in order for me to proceed I'll have to spend a bunch of money or continue spending a bunch of time. Like a lot of time. Too much time.
    With 5* in H4H, 5* covers from 4* champ covers rolling out, and I really suspect we might finally see a 5* cover reward when SCL 10 comes out.  Honest these changes IMO are one of the major advents hinting that a new mythical rank is coming soon to fill the old 5* gap as they become more attainable.
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    broll said:
    Will you be excited when they release 6*s?
    I didn't realize they were hinting at that. I think that would probably help, as long as that means the 5 star game is easier to get into. What hints have we seen?
    broll said:
    With 5* in H4H, 5* covers from 4* champ covers rolling out, and I really suspect we might finally see a 5* cover reward when SCL 10 comes out.  Honest these changes IMO are one of the major advents hinting that a new mythical rank is coming soon to fill the old 5* gap as they become more attainable.
    5 stars in Heroes for Hire doesn't do anything for me. The CP cost is waaaay too high. True I just stated 5 stars are what I need to continue advancing in the game. But I still need so many 4 star covers to finish those characters that I can't justify that cost.
    5 star rewards with Shield Clearance Level 10 would definitely revitalize my interest. That would give me a valuable goal to work towards in PVE. 
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    I too am a little bored. I still enjoy the game, they surely tap into the psychology of our need to obtain/level up characters. But the overall stuff is getting somewhat stale. 

I have 37 champed 4 stars, all 3s champed. Zero champed 5s, only one at 13 covers, zero iso pumped into any 5s. My progress is moving in the right direction but overall, it started to feel like "more of the same". I mean, does champing my 38th 4 star represent progress? Sure. But it's a drop in the bucket at this point. I remember champing my first 4, and how it saved me from burnout. I hope that eventually champing my first 5 will do the same.

But since champing a 5 will drastically alter my pvp, I am forced to push for one of the best 5s at the expense of all others. Even with the new changes for HfH and 4 star Champ rewards, I still find myself struggling a little. I know some of this just due to my personal roster, so it's a "me" problem not an "us" problem. But overall, I am yearning for a shot in the arm. Remember when shield rankings came out, and we all went crazy? Or champion rewards?! Man that was awesome. They CAN get it done, they have done it before... but they seem to be too afraid of losing revenue if they go that route. Not going to argue if this is true or not, but I really hope there might be something big coming? Maybe holiday time? Cmon now!