Best 5* to concentrate on (that is not Gambit)?

Kaeyne
Kaeyne Posts: 68 Match Maker

Hello my lovelies,

I want to spice up my gaming and thought about (finally) using more 5* characters. Which one would you say is the most reliable and versatile to use at the moment?

Except for Gambit, of course, because I really, REALLY don't want to use him.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Thanos would be a good bet. Hawkeye is useful and pairs well with 4*s, same with Parker. Daredevil has a lot of utility: true-healing tank/strike tile producer/stunner. Strange is excellent in PVE, although low hp makes him a target in PVP.
  • Kaeyne
    Thanos would be a good bet. Hawkeye is useful and pairs well with 4*s, same with Parker. Daredevil has a lot of utility: true-healing tank/strike tile producer/stunner. Strange is excellent in PVE, although low hp makes him a target in PVP.

I learned to like Daredevil in the Hulk event, DD seems actually useful. Dr. Strange would be cool to use more but, like you said, low HP is always risky. Hawkeye I have only one cover so that is not really viable. Not too keen on the (regular) 5* Spidey as well, wouldn't the Black version be better?

• Piro_plock
    edited November 2017
    Kaeyne said:
    Not too keen on the (regular) 5* Spidey as well, wouldn't the Black version be better?
    Nope. BSS has only one thing going for him - nullifying strike tiles, other than that he's bottom tier.
  • Kaeyne
    Kaeyne said:
    Not too keen on the (regular) 5* Spidey as well, wouldn't the Black version be better?
    Nope. BSS has only one thing going for him - nullifying strike tiles, other than that he's bottom tier.
    Don't you need a web generator for 5* Parker? Or can he do good on his own, once he is fully covered?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    The only correct answer is Black Bolt.
  • Piro_plock
    edited November 2017
    Bowgentle said:
    Bolt without a Gambit will be almost as big a target in PVP as Strange. All the other Gambits will love to rip him to shreds. Still great in PVE though.
    Kaeyne said:
    Don't you need a web generator for 5* Parker? Or can he do good on his own, once he is fully covered?
    He can do pretty well on his own, maybe not the fastest one there is, but still decent. Better with web tile generators and/or batteries (IM40, Vulture) for sure.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Bowgentle said:
    Seconded.

If you wanna go for somebody at Latest odds, Daredevil is pretty great. He saves health packs and his extra damage on stunned enemies both comes into play more often than I expected, and will absolutely ruin fools if you can get a small cascade on them. 

You do need to keep him hovering at half health to get strikes out, which can be a little dicey, but it's worth the risk. And if you can manage to have him take a big hit just before you end the match, he'll start cranking out strikes immediately next round, which will more or less guarantee victory.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    I don't have him champed yet but I think Bolt has to be the answer. He trivializes PvE, is a decent scarecrow for PvP (especially if you're in the single champ 5-star MMR) and he can go with just about anyone who ends up being your second champ. He's like the least needy character you can plug into any team as a third but all of those Gambits lurking around in PvP will be brutal (but that MMR will be brutal regardless). Loads of passive damage and charge tile creation, which you can use way better than the AI, is a tremendous boost. 
  • Kaeyne
    Black Bolt seems like a good choice then. Just my luck that I have no cover for his passive yet. :neutral:
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kaeyne said:
    Black Bolt seems like a good choice then. Just my luck that I have no cover for his passive yet. :neutral:
    Could be worse. You could have 5 in green and keep pulling greens, like yours truly.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Kaeyne said:
    So I guess the answer depends on your roster.
    I like using bolt with my uncovered 5*s so I can try out their powers, and with 3* champed Gambit. But he's only at 5 covers, after the reward with my 290 Medusa.
    My Phoenix is at 11 covers, so I like using her with 4* Cage and Fist. She can make strikes for Fist to fortify and then Cage can nuke. The fortification also protects them if her purple matches them away.
    Otherwise I would say Daredevil seems pretty good. I've enjoyed him and Spidey as they've been essential and boosted the most often.
  • Kaeyne
    Jarvind said:
    Kaeyne said:
    Could be worse. You could have 5 in green and keep pulling greens, like yours truly.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Straycat said:
    Kaeyne said:
    So I guess the answer depends on your roster.
    I like using bolt with my uncovered 5*s so I can try out their powers, and with 3* champed Gambit. But he's only at 5 covers, after the reward with my 290 Medusa.
    My Phoenix is at 11 covers, so I like using her with 4* Cage and Fist. She can make strikes for Fist to fortify and then Cage can nuke. The fortification also protects them if her purple matches them away.
    Otherwise I would say Daredevil seems pretty good. I've enjoyed him and Spidey as they've been essential and boosted the most often.
    Well, I do have all 5* except for Thor. Some of them with only one cover but when I wanted to spend my CP for more. I need some more variety in my game, so I want to spice it up with some 5*.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why are you exploring the use of 5s when you don't have any even close to max-covered? That's not going to spice your game up, it's going to make it miserable.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Why are you exploring the use of 5s when you don't have any even close to max-covered? That's not going to spice your game up, it's going to make it miserable.

Because it's a game, and players want to use the trinkets they have gotten. I know when my got my first ever 5* (OML Black) I was testing him out every other match, because I was pleased to finally get a 5* and wanted to use my shiny new toy.

Players have every right to use whichever character(s) they want to. And the OP never said he was gonna level any of his 5*; he just wanted to use them more regularly.

• Kaeyne
    Dormammu said:

Because it's a game, and players want to use the trinkets they have gotten. I know when my got my first ever 5* (OML Black) I was testing him out every other match, because I was pleased to finally get a 5* and wanted to use my shiny new toy.

Players have every right to use whichever character(s) they want to. And the OP never said he was gonna level any of his 5*; he just wanted to use them more regularly.

That's about it, indeed. I'm playing this thing since launch and even though it's getting boring from time to time I still can't bring myself to fully quit. (send help)

Maybe if I get my butt kicked in 5*-Land™ I'll be able to uninstall for good, who knows.

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,155 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:
    Kaeyne said:
    I'm right there with you.  I'm at 4/1/1, and the Daily Reward coming up for me is a Black Bolt Green.  Almost as bad as my 1/4/0 Green Goblin.