PVE event start/end times

2»

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    Dormammu said:
    We really do have it lucky in the mid-west and west coast of the US. I'm in the central time zone and slice 4 starts/ends at 10pm. That's doable if I'm seeking optimal PvE play because I can finish the day with some MPQ and be in bed by 11pm for work the next day.

I Believe the devs are on the west coast... I sense a bias here...
    Pubs are west coast, devs are east coast.

I should probably learn to keep those two straight. Oh well, some day perhaps...
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Looking for west coast Air BnB to compete in Marvel Schedule Quest.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    I used to have a theory that it was about avoiding "Family Hour", but frankly even if that were true, I'm a tinykitty adult. I already choose not to do the 7 am (for me) slice anymore because waking up and pushing myself through final clears was starting to be a problem in my life, and doing the opening clears on the other side was a problem getting myself out the door for work, even if I was doing some of them on the train.

The more I think about it, the less I understand ANYTHING about how time is scheduled in the MPQverse.

Somebody suggested Maintenance as the reason for the gaps - but if you check the PVP setup, quite often those are starting/ending in the middle of the giant PVE start/end time holes.

Due to the overlaps of PVPs and top PVE over that, there is never a time when this game can be "down for maintenance" for an hour or so.

At this point I'm very curious about what the rationale for the time slice target points is and how they do anything to help either the dev team or the playerbase over a more even 5/5/5/5/4 distribution. If the devs can give us any info on that, I'd really appreciate it.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Quebbster said:
    Dormammu said:
    We really do have it lucky in the mid-west and west coast of the US. I'm in the central time zone and slice 4 starts/ends at 10pm. That's doable if I'm seeking optimal PvE play because I can finish the day with some MPQ and be in bed by 11pm for work the next day.

I Believe the devs are on the west coast... I sense a bias here...
    Pubs are west coast, devs are east coast.

2Pac said:

It's not about East or West 
    It's about tinykitty and tinykitty, power and money, 
    Riders and punks. Which side are you on?

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    why do we even have slices ? 
    you can start anytime between 2 appointed times ,
    your game refreshes every 24h-
    pack people by 1000  doesn't matter when they started -
    Reduce placement rewards for people in brackets that started 1 day- 2 day late etc....
    give all the rewards at the end of what is now the 5th bracket.

No more:
     - complaints about start time
    - bracket watching to know when to get in
    - people who jump in on last day for easy placement rewards

I guess you should not let people see what are the results for placement because people who joined later could see what they need to win ( ah **** , this sounded like such a good idea when I started writing this...)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wonko33 said:
    why do we even have slices ? 
    you can start anytime between 2 appointed times ,
    your game refreshes every 24h-
    pack people by 1000  doesn't matter when they started -
    Reduce placement rewards for people in brackets that started 1 day- 2 day late etc....
    give all the rewards at the end of what is now the 5th bracket.

No more:
     - complaints about start time
    - bracket watching to know when to get in
    - people who jump in on last day for easy placement rewards

I guess you should not let people see what are the results for placement because people who joined later could see what they need to win ( ah tinykitty , this sounded like such a good idea when I started writing this...)

I would take that trade off in a heartbeat!
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Beer40 said:
    Slice 1: Driving son to daycare/myself to work
    Slice 2: Middle of the day (doable some of the time. The finish optimal clears/immediately clear optimally again really hurts this choice.)
    Slice 3: Driving to pick my son up from daycare/driving us home
    Slice 4: Best option, but some nights just want to sleep!
    Slice 5: Asleep!

1 and 3 simply aren't available to me to play competitively. 2 would be a huge waste of time, as I inevitably would always miss a day during the event. 5 could be done, if I wanted to unhealthily rearrange my sleeping schedule, so no.

Slice 4 it is. But I've tried to do the optimal play thing and I just think its stupid. 

So here I take my stand and advocate to leave the slices alone, yet set personal clear timers within them. You can play within any slice you choose, within the 24-48 hour period, but start time doesn't matter, only that you clear quickly. Points are gone on the leader board, replaced with "total time taken". Points would still be used to determine progression. 

SCL 9, Slice 1 Top 5:
    Bob 25:50
    Tom 25:53
    Tim 26:02
    Eli 26:33
    Joy 26:34

Done.
    Time is great but alone it is not enough. It’s only useful if everyone cleared the same number of times. Obviously this isn’t the case and in your example, John Doe could simply do the initial node and have a time of 1:00 and be top of the leader board? 

It it needs to be a combination of progress points and time. But they need cap progression point. Perhaps make it like those special story events/deadpool daily quest where each node can only be completed once. Leaderboard is then progress points and time taken. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    They could always bring back rubberbanding.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Pongie said:
    Beer40 said:
    Slice 1: Driving son to daycare/myself to work
    Slice 2: Middle of the day (doable some of the time. The finish optimal clears/immediately clear optimally again really hurts this choice.)
    Slice 3: Driving to pick my son up from daycare/driving us home
    Slice 4: Best option, but some nights just want to sleep!
    Slice 5: Asleep!

1 and 3 simply aren't available to me to play competitively. 2 would be a huge waste of time, as I inevitably would always miss a day during the event. 5 could be done, if I wanted to unhealthily rearrange my sleeping schedule, so no.

Slice 4 it is. But I've tried to do the optimal play thing and I just think its stupid. 

So here I take my stand and advocate to leave the slices alone, yet set personal clear timers within them. You can play within any slice you choose, within the 24-48 hour period, but start time doesn't matter, only that you clear quickly. Points are gone on the leader board, replaced with "total time taken". Points would still be used to determine progression. 

SCL 9, Slice 1 Top 5:
    Bob 25:50
    Tom 25:53
    Tim 26:02
    Eli 26:33
    Joy 26:34

Done.
    Time is great but alone it is not enough. It’s only useful if everyone cleared the same number of times. Obviously this isn’t the case and in your example, John Doe could simply do the initial node and have a time of 1:00 and be top of the leader board? 

It it needs to be a combination of progress points and time. But they need cap progression point. Perhaps make it like those special story events/deadpool daily quest where each node can only be completed once. Leaderboard is then progress points and time taken. 
    Hmmm...I think it was just oversight on my part. My thinking was that once you cleared everything 6/6 times (4/4 for wave nodes) your timer stopped and then that was your total time. I guess that would definitely open the flood gates for people doing a couple clears just to take top placement, for sure.

So I'll revise. Everything must be cleared fully. 6/6 or 4/4 to qualify for top placement. All nodes red check after 6 or 4 and are unplayable. Your total time at that point decides your placement. Anyone not clearing the max would only qualify for the lowest placement rewards at their SCL. 

So basically, if you're playing for placement you're clearing more than the max. And having a game determined start/stop time. This would eliminate both of those. If you're not already clearing 6/6+ and 4/4+ you're not playing for top placement anyway. So you could easily clear less and still get your progression rewards but you'd take much less for placement rewards. As a compromise to those players, max progression could be lowered back to 4 clears per node.

Here's an example: Bob and 349 other people clear everything in an event. Bob takes first place, the other 349 fill their slots. Events are set up for 1,000 participants. That means only the top 350 are getting the top 400 placement rewards. 351-1000 would all get the 801-1000 placement rewards for the event because they didn't qualify for placement. 

Addendum: It would also help with SCL selection, as you'd better pick the right SCL so you can clear everything!
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    I have previously played slice 2 and had to fight tooth and nail to stay in top 10. Switched to slice 5and have little issue staying T5. It’s been nice. There are many issues in pve that alone aren’t that breaking but together can really ruin the game for some.

1. Limited slices. I work second shift so my play time is somewhat closer to that of an Aussie than an American. But the reason I stopped playing this game for several years is that I had a job promotion that had me working long, inflexible days. Why play a game that punishes me for having a life when I can go play any other game?

2. Limited rewards. So many people who should be playing SCL8 or 9 are bumming it in 7. I was in 8 for a short time before they changed the scaled method to set levels. This actually increases the levels of the enemies for me so I dropped down. Then I had to deal with rosters with champed 5* who prefer to finish in 25 minutes and get a little less iso then play for an hour. If the grind isn’t worth the reward, there is no incentive to move up. They alleviated this slightly with the diminished 5*node but what effect it has long term is yet to be seen.

3. Rewarding using certain characters to maintain competitive. Grocket and gamora are used constantly because they work and work QUICKLY. When your rank is solely determined by speed, there is no reason for me to try a new team when I have one that works. Grocket, gamora, and boosted 4 star for non easy nodes, grocket, gamora, and essential for essential nodes, and grocket, star lord, and thanos for easy nodes. That’s my team for the last few pves. Substitute dr strange when there are goon only nodes who shoot constant abilities. With the win based pvp I was trying new teams there for a bit, but now once again it’s back to the same old stuff. No room for new stuff. I’ll wait for people to complain on the forums about a broken team to find out for myself.

4. Actively penalizing certain characters. Man, I hate hate hate having to play against or with bullseye or daken. Or moonstone. Or any one else that’s has animations that last way to long or can activate multiple times a turn. Some animations are too long and hurt that character. I might give new hulk a run after a cover him some more. He might be a better fit for grocket and starlord for the easy nodes. Having to sit through thanos Black is painful sometimes, especially if you took two out with a cascade leaving only one.

5. The issue with tapping. This can be alleviated if we switched from 4-3 to a format where points didn’t regenerate and only the quickest players were at the top,  it this would make problems 4and 3worse. You can set the minimum to 0 after 7 clears, but this would penalize players who misplay when to start the final clear. There is also the issue on whether tappers should be penalized. They dedicate more time to the game, shouldn’t they be rewarded? Play2win is better than pay2win. The issue is when it becomes unhealthy. Tapping for an hour? Bravo I guess. Tapping for 4+ hours? Please see a mental health professional.

6. Flippers. Some people use the tools available to them here on the forums to watch for a flip to get an advantage over the other 999 in their slice. Personally I find this more underhanded than tapping. Some guy played this game 6 hours a day? Maybe he should get an extra 4* cover than me. Someone else joined on day 2, still got most of the progress rewards, AND placed better? Something wrong with that imo.

i think the devs should add more slices to pve. Let’s say 8-10 slices total. But remove flipping. No max size to a slice.
  • EstherC
    EstherC Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Ugh. Can you folks even hear yourselves? You’re demanding for timeslices to be changed just so YOU can play optimally to fit your lives / schedules. It’s just a game. If your schedule cannot afford to play it optimally , so what ? Just play to whatever time you can. You act as if it’s so crucial for mpq to be part of your lives but all the whining about the “sacrifice” (waking early , sleeping late) you have to do. Real life comes first, if your sleep is more important , then something’s gotta give. Can’t have both. There are players who conditioned themselves to sleep odd hours or less hours just to play mpq; their lives their choice. Time slices don’t need changing; your midndsets do.

i do not have an optimal slice either.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards

In my time zone the only close to decent time is slice 5, which right now start / ends at 8 pm.  For a couple of weeks a year it's 7 pm, in my winter it's 6 pm.

Of course, real life comes into play in the evening, so I always have to start my final clears on the bus at 4:30, then finish them off whenever I can.

I'd quite like it if we weren't tied to the one true time zone and its meandering daylight savings time.

• Quebbster
    EstherC said:
    Ugh. Can you folks even hear yourselves? You’re demanding for timeslices to be changed just so YOU can play optimally to fit your lives / schedules. It’s just a game. If your schedule cannot afford to play it optimally , so what ? Just play to whatever time you can. You act as if it’s so crucial for mpq to be part of your lives but all the whining about the “sacrifice” (waking early , sleeping late) you have to do. Real life comes first, if your sleep is more important , then something’s gotta give. Can’t have both. There are players who conditioned themselves to sleep odd hours or less hours just to play mpq; their lives their choice. Time slices don’t need changing; your midndsets do.

The system could still use a revision since the optimal method of play has changed since time slices were introduced but the time slices themselves have remained constant.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    EstherC said:

Ugh, can you hear yourself?  It's not about making the game work on your schedule, it's about making it fair forever one.  This game has a competitive element that awards prizes for different placements.  If you were are runner and the other 10 guys you raced against had their gun fire and stop watch go at the same time, but during your heat they started the clock 3 minutes before the gun, do you think you'd be a little upset that no matter how fast you ran it was literally impossible to win?  How about if that happened every meet you went to your whole career? 
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker

This never really bothered me, TBH. I am EST, too, and I play the last slice every event (the 2am one). I just play when I can, usually right when I wake up/get to work (I almost always get to work earlier than I need to) and then again in the evening on the treadmill before bed.

It's not optimal, but it works well enough for me. Honestly? On the list of things about the game that I'd change, this is WAY down the list. But, again,  that's just me.

Also, I have a bad habit of waking up/being up between 1am-3am on weekends so I can clear more optimally then, but that usually leads to my wife being annoyed I am not in bed, haha.

• atmosvere
    atmosvere Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Dormammu said:
    Not familiar with that.  Can you explain please? Thanks.
  • Quebbster
    atmosvere said:
    Dormammu said:
    Rubberbanding basically meant that the further you were behind the global event leader, the more your nodes were worth.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    atmosvere said:
    Dormammu said:
    It hasn't existed for 2 years. Don't worry. Commmunity scaling even still existed back then.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Preaching to the choir.  This is without a doubt my biggest issue in the game.  I get so sick of people on the forums talking about playing optimally or missing their T10 rewards when I've gotten T10 a grand total of once in over 1.5 years of playing because the time slices tinykitty me.  The only time I got it was a 3 day sub on a 3 day weekend where I had free time in the magic window and it wasn't all that hard in that scenario, but that scenario doesn't exist for me 99.999% of the time.  It's just a giant tinykitty.
    I'm right there with you!  The only time I've come close to top 10 is when I entered an event about 2 hours before it was supposed to end, and the counter had just recently flipped.  Otherwise, it's top 100...top 50 if I'm very, very lucky.