Vulture's Circling prey

sinnerjfl
sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
This skill needs a cooldown and it needed it on his release. Having to fight him a lot this week because he's boosted, I've lost count of the number of wipes I had because the AI got 6 black and for the rest of the match Vulture was airborne, coming down only to spam blue/green then going back up...  That is just incredibly frustrating.

In PVE, it doesnt matter. In PVP, its a BROKEN ability. Even if you introduced a character that dealt with airborne characters, it wouldnt matter, its too unbalanced and only having that one character being able to deal with Vulture is silly.

Fix: after landing, Vulture cannot go airborne for 1 turn. Its not even a nerf, just common sense.

Comments

• The_A_Train
    The_A_Train Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Honestly, i haven't had this problem. Deny black as best you can and you'll be fine. You may lose once or twice (I guess...? He doesn't gain enough black on his own to keep him airborne) but you can probably call those unlucky matches. Just because a character has good self synergy doesn't mean it's broken or OP.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can also steal AP from him while he's airborne with many AP steal abilities.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I personally think he's one of the most fun characters in the game right now.  Plan to kill him first and deny black or AP steal black and you'll be fine.  
  • sinnerjfl
    This is not about strategy/deny black blablabla.

No character should be invincible because the AI lucked into a random cascade of 10 black while he only comes down to murder your whole team.

Having a cooldown on ability is not a new thing at all and when its this strong he should have one.

IM40 stuns himselft for 2 turns doesnt he? That's to stop him from generating too much AP too fast and using it all right away.
  • The_A_Train
    The_A_Train Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Do you have Iceman? If not (or even if you do) you can bring OBW TUs and stun lock him. Gamora is great for the task, too. Strange can stun and destroy AP of a chosen color, so that's an option. He's fun to use as well as being fun to fight. Build a good team, try new things. Enjoy a good character that has good synergy with so many teams instead of calling for the nerf bat. Remember there's another battery in play that's actually broken to the point that it enables the AI to stun lock your team on turn 2 if on the right team. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl said:
    This is not about strategy/deny black blablabla.
    Actually, it is. There is a strategy to beat all characters, weak or strong, and there is a strategy to beat Vulture.

sinnerjfl said:
    No character should be invincible because the AI lucked into a random cascade of 10 black while he only comes down to murder your whole team.
    The AI can luck into a cascade that leads to victory at any time - Vulture is not required for this to happen. Fortunate (or unfortunate) cascades are part of any match-three game.

sinnerjfl said:
    Having a cooldown on ability is not a new thing at all...
    It isn't? I can't think of one character that has a 'cooldown' in MPQ. It isn't a mechanic that is used.
  • sinnerjfl
    Its not about strategy because the point is, a character gaining X AP becoming permanently
    invincible is UNBALANCED, do you people not get that? Its pretty frigging simple to understand.

Its not invisibility which you can remove. No, literally invincible, cannot be hurt, cannot stun, cannot die.
    If you really cant see its unbalanced then nothing is I suppose!

And yes there is a cooldown, look at IM40 that I just mentionned, he stuns himself as a cooldown mechanic.
  • Jaedenkaal
    sinnerjfl said:
    Having a cooldown on ability is not a new thing at all...
    It isn't? I can't think of one character that has a 'cooldown' in MPQ. It isn't a mechanic that is used.
    Goblin Glider also has a (sort of) cooldown. But no, there's no explicit mechanic that says "you aren't able to fire this power for 2 more turns"

Strictly speaking, that's what the AP mechanic does, in a roundabout way.

sinnerjfl said:
    Having a cooldown on ability is not a new thing at all and when its this strong he should have one.

IM40 stuns himselft for 2 turns doesnt he? That's to stop him from generating too much AP too fast and using it all right away.
    Sure, but technically, Vulture has the same cooldown. He can only fire the power while he's not airborne, which is once every 3 turns. The primary difference is that Circling Prey generates Black AP, while Recharge does NOT generate Yellow AP. And, I suppose, Vulture is less vulnerable during his "cooldown", while Iron Man is more vulnerable. The comparison still isn't that easy, though. IM40 generates (up to) 36 AP with one Recharge, while Vulture only generates 20 AP with one Circling Prey. You can even save up 12 Yellow and double-fire the recharge and net yourself up to 72 AP in a single turn. You pretty much win the game at that point with any proper team. (The AI won't do this, of course, for which we should all be very thankful)

In any case, a cooldown doesn't seem necessary here, any more than it would be needed on characters that are constantly invisible.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Recharge doesn't have a cooldown. If you have 30 yellow AP you can fire it 5 times in a row if you want to.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Dormammu said:
    Recharge doesn't have a cooldown. If you have 30 yellow AP you can fire it 5 times in a row if you want to.
    Also true, although less helpful in this comparison since you're already prevented from firing Circling Prey multiple times in the same turn (which wouldn't matter anyways since it's not firing the power that's generating the AP).

Goblin Glider is probably a better example of a power with a "cooldown" (although again, not an explicit one)