What if Waves were reversed

Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
I would love to see the next boss to be so powerful we get to pick 6 characters! Once each friendly character is downed, they're replaced by the next.. surprised this hasn't happened yet.. all the healthpacks purchases. Regardless it would be interesting to see others team combinations

Comments

• swordfishdata
    swordfishdata Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    That... is a really good idea, and I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been done yet. Additional ideas:

Limit team-up/boost slots to two, with a hardcoded ability: "10 TU AP - swap out any one character with a backup character."

Give each character a 5-10% burst of healing after each round. 

For a survival battle kind of thing; I wonder if we could get this with an endless stream of progressively stronger enemy waves. Thought would have to be put into it to bork winfinite teams, like resetting AP at certain checkpoints, resetting the board in others, etc. Like, "friendly AP pools are drained after round 5, but the board remains, the board resets after round 9, but the AP pools remain, etc." 
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    They did this - it’s was called Boss Phoenix in Boss rush and giving players 3 6 or 600 characters wouldn’t have mattered it was painful and the healthpack impact caused outrage and is why boss rush is hopefully dead forever 
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    alphabeta said:
    They did this - it’s was called Boss Phoenix in Boss rush and giving players 3 6 or 600 characters wouldn’t have mattered it was painful and the healthpack impact caused outrage and is why boss rush is hopefully dead forever 
    You read it backwards, the players would have waves, not the bosses.  If we could have brought in more people, maybe boss rush would not have been so bad.

I dont want it to be dead forever, either. They proved they could get a boss wave fight to work properly during the spiderman movie release, so it could be just as big of a success with the proper tweaks.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    "You're supposed to lose"
    This idea sounds better on paper than in reality.   Players have made it clear they don't like difficulties where you chip away while your characters die off.   It feels bad to have such an unnatural health pack sink. 

For something like this to work and NOT receive backlash I think you'd have to create a new mechanic even if it was for that battle type only.   For example the punishment for failure is 1 health pack with all selected characters losing 10% health they had going into the battle initially.    

That's far easier to stomach than 6 health packs.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    No thanks, please don't give them ideas on how to soak their players for more cash.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like this idea but it would have to be another game type, like Shield Training.  Have it like an never ending wave. Pick your 6 chars, Able to flip them out as needed, each wave has points and you get overall placement for this.  You clear 10 waves, you get XXXX points and can try again whenever you want.  You don't add points for all the times you play, but you can increase if you get to wave 11 this time.  Have this set up in SL so each SL has different difficulty. Something like this could be cool.  
  • Dotproduct
    Dotproduct Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    No thanks, please don't give them ideas on how to soak their players for more cash.

Either that or it gets stale people stop playing and it shuts down. 
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    The WWE game has this in a gauntlet mode.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Health packs are the time-gating "feature" of this game, so if they were disregarded for one particular game mode, it would have to be one that you can only play a certain number of times.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    CNash said:
    Health packs are the time-gating "feature" of this game, so if they were disregarded for one particular game mode, it would have to be one that you can only play a certain number of times.
    A mode emphasizing quality of play over quantity of play would be awesome, been bangin' that drum for years (PVE Pinballlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll) .... but it won't happen so long as bean counters interpret quantity of play as "engagement" and reduced quantity of play as dis"engagement".

Need to get them some next levels numbercrunching. Consistent play over longer timespan, reduced turnover, consistent spending over longer timespan, that's increased engagement over the life of an account. Doesn't always have to be moremoremore in the nownownow.
    Indeed, the longer I go on, the less interest I have in the sheer quantity of play. I'd rather play fewer but more interesting rounds for the same amount of time I put in now.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Yeah, something that would allow us to use more (if not all) characters at once would be cool - collectors would be rewarded and hoarding 160+ covers would be actualy beneficial.