4 clears good for total progression (CL8 &9)?

Isn't it so?
5 clears in CL7 will let you meet total progression rewards.
In CL8 and 9 with the points from the 5* essential node, is 4 clears enough to get the final progression reward?

Math dudes please.

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am not sure how it works after they have changed the points on the 5* node. But in principle clearing the 5* node 4-6 times eases of the pain but not necessarily guarantees the max progression. However it it likely that you can do 4 clears on first days and add an extra clear on the final day to be enough. I am also curious what is the exact match in Scl8 and Scl9 (well for Scl9 you join to go for 4* from placement and that usually takes a bit more work than 4 clears even if the 5* node is enough give you full progression). 
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I'm certain that it was stated by the devs that five clears is enough for max progression, and even with the adjustment to the 5* node, that should still be the case. I still like to do six just to be sure. Sometimes I don't have the required 5*, so six clears is a necessity.

• Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    It depends on how many wave nodes, one-time nodes, and 48 hour subs are in the event, but in most cases I think you’d fall short.

If you want max progression for the least effort, I’d suggest 4 clears of all normal nodes, 2 clears of the 5* essential (for the token and CP) then an extra clear of easy and wave nodes.  Do the extra clears as late as possible for more points, and put a little more effort on later subs where points are higher.
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 631 Critical Contributor
    When the first 5-star node was run, someone added up how much was needed compared to how much 4 clears on the 5-node gave and the 5-node gave a few hundred points more than was gained for immediate 5th clears of all the others.

So as long as that point total for CL8/9 is still the same (a jump above the 4-node) it will give the points needed for full progression.

Wave nodes will mess that up but you should do a 3rd clear of those anyway for the token.
  • Bleh5
    Bleh5 Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Just a point of reference. In SCL 7, for the Howard event, I did four clears of everything including the wave and 5* nodes (minus the first node) and ended up with about 60k points. Max progression was 57k points. 
  • NMANOZ
    NMANOZ Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    They said it was supposed to be 5 clears. This excludes the 5 star node which wasn't included at all.

If you do some of the 5 star nodes, the 5 clears required for the other nodes drops into the 4 point something clears.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't comment on 8 and 9 but can give my experience for Howard on CL7. I joined late, missed the first day of sub 1, did 4 clears on the regular nodes and played a few more times on the easier ones. For sub 2 my internet went out right before it started, that's always fun, and didn't come back on until there were like six hours left in sub 2. Like sub 1 I did 4 clears of everything and hit the easier nodes a few more times. For sub 3 I did the same as before and am sitting at 60k with only having done my opening clears but will probably finish all clears because I love this sub. I wouldn't stress it too much. Just do your four clears and then grind the missions that don't aggravate you and you shouldn't have any problems hitting max progression.
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    The so-called 5 clear is actually 4.33 clears. The max progression does not include 5* score. Also, wave node complicated the computations too. Like many have mentioned earlier, you should be able to make up the points at the last sub since their points are largest anyway. Doing 4 clears on all nodes in the early subs should not be too far away from maximum progression. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is the 4.33 clears calculation based on optimal play? I Think the devs based their calculation on doing all five clears in one sitting, so four clears with full Points and one clear with maximally reduced Points...
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,183 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    Is the 4.33 clears calculation based on optimal play? I Think the devs based their calculation on doing all five clears in one sitting, so four clears with full Points and one clear with maximally reduced Points...
    It's actually 4.66, minimum. and it's based on exactly what you wrote in your second sentence.

If you do all five clears in one sitting, the fifth clear will be worth at least 2/3 of the maximum points, and according to the devs that will be enough to hit maximum progression.
  • maguirenumber6
    edited November 2017
    I'm going to have to push hard in the last three subs of The Hulk. It's such slow going having to fight Dark Avengers all the time. At time of writing I've got about twelve hours left on current sub with two more to come and I'm about 61k away from max progression and those 55 shiny CP (SCL8).

Do you think it's possible to get to 134k, or am I too far away?
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally I prefer to just do 4 clears, plus maybe a node or two, on the early subs, and then do the end subs optimally. It sometimes looks like I'm not gonna make it, but I always do.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've done 4x over a 3 day sub (CL9) and needed like 1000 more points at the end.  Yes, you can lazy through it if you can clear the 5E node 4 times

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    In cl9 4x clears of all nodes, including the 5* essential, has consistently been just shy of max progression (so 4x plus a few trivial matches gets you the cp).

That was also true in cl8 until the 5* node points were reduced.  Now cl8 takes more than 4x, but still less than 5x.
  • maguirenumber6
    I'm going to have to push hard in the last three subs of The Hulk. It's such slow going having to fight Dark Avengers all the time. At time of writing I've got about twelve hours left on current sub with two more to come and I'm about 61k away from max progression and those 55 shiny CP (SCL8).

Do you think it's possible to get to 134k, or am I too far away?
    Managed to get the 134k, but the constant battles vs Dark Avengers made it a test of endurance more than anything else.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    From the original cl9 release notes:
    • 5-Star Required Mission
      • Only available to SCL 7 and higher
      • Requires a different 5-Star for each event
      • This mission is not considered when calculating progression reward tiers