How do I finish toons that they do not give rewards for?

Ctenko
Ctenko Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
Recently a Friend I got into this game, asked me when the Daily reward totals will give him Spider Gwen Yellow. Since he is at least 100 days behind me. He's into the 750 day mark. And he has spent considerable money on this game. Not enough to be a whale, but in that tune of a few grand over those two years. I dunno exactly, but he probably drops a stark salary, every 6 weeks or so? And probably does so again whenever there is a sale. 

And I didn't know. I got a little lucky, and I have my thirteen covers. So I looked it up. You only get Gwen's Red from the daily rewards. So I checked all the three stars. None of them turn into Gwen. So I looked back, and only random rewards gave her yellow. IT wasn't available for sale, it was just, did you get this colour in the vault, or were you top... 5 I think when she came out. That was it. 

And this kinda bothers him, because he has spent money, and he likes Gwen. But there is no opportunity to get her, short of random Taco Vault? Or random pull, which grows increasingly more and more and more infinitesimal with each release of a new person. I don't want him to stop playing. MPQ you don't want him to stop playing. A few grand might be a drop in the bucket for you, but it's still, well a few grand.

And this bothers me a little, because the random element is fine. That is the business model. But if a character is only going to give you ONE of it's covers in the Daily rewards... why would you have no person give it in progressions. We still have Two people giving you Elektra, and X-force Wolves. And Two giving you X-23. Would it kill you D3, to just fill out the three star section enough that we can cover everyone? That there is a path through to these people from just three stars? I know 4 stars are harder to collect and give you more money. But would it be so bad to make some of these new every two week or every month releases a rare instead of a legendary, so we could at least see a path to people we like? I'm not asking for a direct buy button of a cover we don't have, just a possible path to get a toon cover we actually want, with enough time. 

Please?

Because selfishly, I'd like to finish my 2/0/3 Lockjaw someday, and I'd collect 113 covers of a Crystal, or a Karnak or Triton in order to do it. Because I know I'm never pulling that blue. Ever. 

Comments

• Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Unpopular answer, but the party line is that your friend can roster a yellow cover via the h4h store or add covers for 120cp each. (Or wait for her as PvE essential progression reward and/or whale the connected vault.) Unsatisfying and unhelpful, but from their perspective, it is possible to get that cover.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    All 4* except Howard and Dino will eventually come around as PVP and PVE progression (and placement) rewards.  

There’s also about a 1/200 chance that any classic or latest LT pull will be a Gwen yellow.

If he has horrible luck and ends up with a 5/5/0 Gwen, he may be able to buy it from the HFH store.

Keep playing, he’ll get it eventually.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Get it the same way most of us got it. From placing well in PVE and PVP and progression in the events after.
    Let's she was placement reward for this event. That's 4 covers for first (plus all those tokens with increased odds for her). Next event is a 7 day event. 2 more covers from progression.
    A few weeks later it's her turn as pvp reward. 2 covers from first pvp and a cover in the progression for the next.
    That's 9 covers in one cycle if you do well.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Set Gwen as his bonus hero? Go big on events that give her as rewards, and if he really want her he can spend CP for her covers.
  • VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Back when I was transitioning from 3 to 4*, I finished most of my characters with 120cp.  Heck, at the beginning of my transition I bought as many as 3 covers with cp for S class 4*s (Iceman at the time).  It probably wasn’t the best use of my cp, but it got me moving and kept the game fun.  If your friend likes Gwen, I suggest he save up 120cp and do the same.  If it’s just another 4* in the wall, he can set her as bonus hero, spend hp on hfh, or wait for her to eventually show up as a pve/p rwd.  Prior to gambatt, I’d say don’t make any extra effort to finish her.  But with a gambatt, she’s pretty f’n scary, so maybe she’s worth 120cp?
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,764 Chairperson of the Boards

Unless you have a hoard of CP and HC, Bonus Heroes is probably the best way to go, although you have about 3% change of getting a 4* (pulled 7 4* BH from 219 LTs, your odds may vary), so that means you need roughly 100 LTs (and a lot of prayers to RNGesus) to get a yellow Spider-Gwen.

On the other hand I got 2 of my yellow Spider-Gwens from Heroics, so you never know!

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Once upon a time, my Gwen was 2/0/2. I set her as my sole bonus hero right before pulling a decent hoard. She was 3/3/3 by the end of it. She's fully covered now, just needs ISO to champ. Unless your friend's build for her is 5/5/0 (which could make her yellow cover potentially available in Heroes for Hire), I would recommend going the BH route.

If it is 5/5/0 and there's no HfH offer, your friend could still go BH route, but that risks cover wastage. Might be better to just keep playing and hope for her to be featured in PvE or PvP, or for her yellow to come up in an event vault and whale it. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well I'd at day 1105 or something, and I still have a 2/0/1 Kate Bishop. :) One day Hawkeye, one day...
  • Landale
    Landale Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2017
    Bonus heroes are also helpful.  I set her as my only 4* favorite and she went from a 1/1/5 to a 3/5/5 in a couple weeks.  I had to sell a couple yellows that came up, but it worked out in the end. 

ymmv of course, but this is a legitimate means of doing it, if you have patience for it.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    I really wish characters were usable before getting 10-13 covers for them. A radical overhaul could be to decouple covers from max level, and make it so that the first cover you get unlocks all three abilities at 1/1/1. You could level a character in this state to their maximum, but not champion them until you get all 13 covers. That way, all characters are instantly "usable" - players can use all three abilities from the get-go, but not at full power until they get more covers.

It wouldn't change the meta drastically - taking a team of max-level 1/1/1 4-stars into PVP would mark you out as a huge target, so you'd get slapped down pretty quickly. But this change is all about allowing players to use the new (and heavily-promoted) characters immediately, so they don't see all the hype of "wow get this super awesome new 4-star!!" and have to wait 6 months collecting them piecemeal.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    OP I've got a lot of Lockjaw covers dying on the vault.  I'd sell them to you if the game would let me :-p

Spider Gwen is one of the frustratingly hard ones to finish IMO.  At this point I have all but 16 4* champed, of those 16 only 7 of those aren't at 13 covers.  She's tied for the lowest (excluding Nightcawler & MEHulk for obvious reasons) with 11 covers.  Yellow is also my least covered for at 4/5/2.

As has been said BH is probably your best answer.  If all he needs is yellow you'll probably get covers you can't use and it's up to him to decide if it's worth the waste or not.  Also while I usually discourage people using the 120 CP option, it is there.  It might be better to use that in a 5/5/X scenario then BH since you're BHs will only 33% chance of being the right covers and you might waste the 4-6 covers you'd lse from 120 CP anyway.

You'll get there eventually.  I remember being stuck on 5/5/0 Nova and Iceman and feeling like I'd never get them, but they're both champed now.  I did do at least 1-2 H4H buys for each.  

Lastly if he does decide to go the BH route I'd recommend he hoard for a while.  In a large pull of like 300 odds say you'd earn about 15 BHs.  Pulling a large number of BHs at once will help prevent waste.  Even if 66% of those 15 are the wrong cover at least 4 would be the right one, then he could champ her and save the other 11 covers.  Patience and planning go a long way to beat the true boss of MPQ (RNGsus).

Good luck to you both!
  • White_Deth
    White_Deth Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Wow a couple of grand eh. Anyway what everyone else says. I personally go for all the latest as they are "apparently" 3x more likely to drop although im always getting vintage covers. I honestly dont knlw why they wont make a vault that constains only the latest 12 and another that contains 12 vintage 4 stars that cycles monthly so you dont waste your resources pulling stuff you dont want because once that 4 star is out of the latest tjey become increasingly difficult to get and its only gking to get worse with this seemingly 1 new 4 star every 4 weeks or so...
  • Michaelcles
    Michaelcles Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    A couple of grand?  Geez