Getting a loss for minimizing the game

Ever since the most recent update, I am unable to minimize the app during a match and finish it later. When I tab back to the app I get kicked to the loading screen and then the main menu. I have conferred with my alliance and at least 3 of them have had the same issue.
Tagged:

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Your phone probably killed the game.  Smartphones generally kill the least recently used applications when they start to run out of RAM.  This is usually invisible to the user because apps are expected to save their state before they get terminated, and then restore that state when the user opens the app again.

For whatever reason, MPQ doesn't bother saving its state: maybe due to the online connection?  So when you switch back to the game after it has been stopped by the OS it is like starting the game fresh.

There's not much you can personally do about this other than perhaps buying a phone with more RAM.
  • TheZeusBear
    TheZeusBear Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Having the same issue. Usually would load up DPD, do a few swipes, get distracted from a text, come back into game a few minutes later and MPQ has reset. Never has happened once prior to new update. 
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ever since the most recent update, I am unable to minimize the app during a match and finish it later. When I tab back to the app I get kicked to the loading screen and then the main menu. I have conferred with my alliance and at least 3 of them have had the same issue.
    @Bobby_Lishez is this iOS or Android?
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    Quick, foolproof solution. Just finish the match.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Dogface said:
    Quick, foolproof solution. Just finish the match.
    That's more of a workaround, than a solution.

And it's not fast either. Certainly not something you could do when, e.g. , you get an incoming call.

The solution you want here, is for the developers to implement proper saving of state when the app is suspended. It's really what they should have done since day one. It's part of the core application design guidelines for both iOS and Android. The respective OS vendor expects all applications to be built to honor those. Period.

(It's plain sloppy that this wasn't implemented, if you ask me.)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    This has been an inconsistent problem for me on iOS pretty much the whole time I've played.  Though I think typically it happens when an update is pushed while it's paused but I can't say for sure.  I've had it kick me out just locking and not minimizing.  If get interrupted during a match I try and leave my phone unlocked just in case.  It's super annoying and I wish it would get fixed.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    This has been happening heavily to me on Android ever since the patch that changed it so you had to download graphics for characters before you fight them. I used to be able to keep the app open in the background for 5-6 hrs, now it barely lasts 30 minutes before resetting randomly, even if I don't touch the phone in the meantime.
  • Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Got the same issue 2 years ago on my old android phone. I've moved to a new device with latest version of android, and it doesn't bug me anymore.
    Upgrade to a newer device (including android version) is the best solution in term of game comfort you can find. Sure, not in term of price...
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor

One thing that can offer some temporary relief is restarting the phone.

Usually that leads to fewer apps in memory and it's less likely that MPQ will get killed due to lack of memory.

Another thing that could offer permanent relief would be a better optimized game. There's no reason why a match 3 game should be such a tinykitty memory hog.

• madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2018
    I was looking up some stuff about the issue.

I'm on Android 8.1.0 beta versions. Apparently the latest android update changed some things regarding cache management. The apps now require the developers to allocate proper cache sizes etc. Otherwise when the app is running in the background and the size goes greater than the allocated cache size, the app is killed.

Associated with this, I saw the lack of a dedicated "clear cache" button in android settings. One can still clear cache of individual apps, but the single button clear cache for all apps is gone.