The Best of 2017 (or, the MPQ Oscars)

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
The holidays are here and we all know what that means - lots of retrospective looks back on the year that was. Marvel Puzzle Quest saw many changes over the year, but at the heart of it all is the characters and 2017 saw a lot of big meta-changing releases. There will probably be one or two more releases yet this year, but it can be hard to judge new characters right out of the gate (the jury is still out on ME Hulk, for example). But if you were in charge of rewarding the best of the best characters released in 2017 (so far) with a statue, who would you choose?

2017 Nominees: Carol Danvers (4-star); Riri Williams; Black Panther (5-star); Mordo; Phil Coulson; Hawkeye (3-star, 5-star); Iron Fist (4-star); Cloak & Dagger; Star-Lord (3-star, 5-star); Rocket & Groot (4-star); Gamora (4-star); Doctor Octopus (5-star); Sandman, Spider-Man (5-star Red Suit); Vulture; Mockingbird; Yondu; Rogue; Thor (5-star); Nightcrawler; Lockjaw; Gambit (3-star, 5-star); Daredevil (5-star); Hulk (4-star Main Event); Electra (3-star)

Award Categories
Best Visual Effects Ability Animations
Best Costume Design Character Artwork
Best Actor in a Supporting Role New Male Support Character
Best Actress in a Supporting Role New Female Support Character
Best Actor in a Leading Role New Male Lead Character
Best Actress in a Leading Role New Female Lead Character

Other (optional) Categories
Best Film Editing Character Re-balance
Best Original Screenplay New Story Event

Comments

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Best Animations - Lockjaw   Little unfair advantage that he gets 6 additional character appearances
    Best Artwork - Cloak and Dagger
    Best Male support - 3* Hawkeye - Love his purple and blue gen, and I'm not counting Gambat as a character
    Best Female support - Mockingbird - Free powers!
    Best Male lead - Vulture
    Best Female lead - Carol
    Best Rebalance - Riri
  • Addaran
    Addaran Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Options
    I only tested a few of them, during loaner missions/PvP.

Best Character Artwork goes hand down to Mockingbird though! Love both of her look (mission and beach-wear). Her face is really pretty, she doesn't have the weird snarl that some other female characters got...
  • RTA3000
    RTA3000 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    echo a lot of Straycat's comments:

Best Artwork - Cloak and Dagger 
    Best Male support - Coulson - Just gives and gives, and with Carol, the two are the definitive backup!
    Best Female support - Carol - the ultimate support character.
    Best Male lead - Vulture - introduced a different level of strategy
    Best Female lead - Gamor4 - One of my first 4* champs and she's been solid, with or without 4Grocket
    Best Rebalance - Riri - definitely brought her into the game more for me
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,938 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Best Ability Animations - Doctor Octopus 
    Best Character Artwork - Nightcrawler
    Best Male Support Character - Vulture
    Best Female Support Character - Mockingbird
    Best Male Lead - Doctor Octopus
    Best Female Lead - Captain Marvel 

Best Boss: Apocalypse
    Best Character Re-Balance: 3* Spider-man (although his yellow should probably get a new animation)
    Best Story Event: Webbed Wonder 
  • BumpoTheClown
    BumpoTheClown Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    I'd like to nominate 2* Hawkeye for a Lifetime Special Achievement Award in the field of Most Confusing Add Level Icon.

• Dormammu
    Options
    Nice thread idea, could be a great annual feature.

Where are the nominees for ...

Best Character Re-balance
    Best New Story Event
    I couldn't find a list online  :'( If there's a list somewhere of all the rebalances and new events that someone can point me to, I'd be happy to edit my original post.

As for being an annual feature, it is!
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Best Character Re-Balance: 3* Spider-man (although his yellow should probably get a new animation)
    They could at least just re-use the animation from the 1* Spidey's red.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,175 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Dormammu I think you forgot 3* Elektra haha.

2017 Nominees
    : Carol Danvers (4-star); Riri Williams; Black Panther (5-star); Mordo; Phil Coulson; Hawkeye (3-star, 5-star); Iron Fist (4-star); Cloak & Dagger; Star-Lord (3-star, 5-star); Rocket & Groot (4-star); Gamora (4-star); Doctor Octopus (5-star); Sandman, Spider-Man (5-star Red Suit); Vulture; Mockingbird; Yondu; Rogue; Thor (5-star); Nightcrawler; Lockjaw; Gambit (3-star, 5-star); Daredevil (5-star); Hulk (4-star Main Event)

Award Categories
    Best Ability Animations: The first category, and I'm already having trouble lol. I decided to go for Carol Danvers; her initial Photonic Barrage animation gives you that sense of anticipation when she soars upwards, and the animation when her countdown resolves makes me go PEW PEW everytime, even more so than Nova.

Best Character Artwork: Black Panther for me. I absolutely love the suit they gave to Chadwick Boseman, and am absolutely stoked for his movie in February. Plus I love his swiping motion when he returns from being Stunned/Invisible. Classic Gambit comes a close second.

Best New Male Support Character: I'm very tempted to go with 0/0/5 Gambit. But in the interest of fairness, I'll go with Phil Coulson. 5Hawkeye pushes him all the way.

Best New Female Support Character: Gamora. While the big hitters are punching holes in opponents, Gamora's running around stunning people, chipping away at them, and providing special tiles. Oh wait, every purple tile is your special tile? Here's Gamora to down you!

Best New Male Lead Character: Gambit Peter Parker. Anyone who can chuckle in the face of Black Bolt and Thanos deserves an accolade.

Best New Female Lead Character: Toss-up between Carol and Riri. Both are right at the top of the 4* metagame. Someone flip a coin.

Best Character Re-balance: Has to be Riri. She went from being an extremely niche character with laughable health and one good ability, to a top-notch 4*.

Best New Story Event: all the Boss events this year. Because I joined a new Alliance, and we hit maximum progression in every single event :)
  • BigRussian
    BigRussian Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Can you call them the Matchy's or something, haha?
  • Dormammu
    Options
    @Dormammu I think you forgot 3* Elektra haha.
    I DID forget Electra! Thank you - added her with an edit. Great post.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,843 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Best Ability Animations  - Gotta love Baby Groot!
    Best Character Artwork   -  Cloak & Dagger are spot on.
    Best New Male Support Character  -  Son of Coul
    Best New Female Support Character - Gamora for that stun
    Best New Male Lead Character - Iron Fist - yeah probably not a popular choice but his green is nice and his black feels like it hits hard like uhm, something iron-y.
    Best New Female Lead Character - She could easily be a support character too but it has to be C4rol.

Best Character Re-balance - 3* Spidey gets some damage and it is good damage!
    Best New Story Event  - Apocalypse reigns over the weak with some nice puzzley aspects.

• NMANOZ
    NMANOZ Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Best New Male Support Character - 3 star Gambit
    Best New Male Lead Character - 5 star Gambit

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Best Ability Animations - Yondu
    Best Character Artwork - Lockjaw :)
    Best New Male Support Character - Vulture
    Best New Female Support Character - Mockingbird