A Convoluted 4-star Champion Reward Solution

Options
DesertTortoise
DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
edited November 2017 in MPQ General Discussion

On the deadest of deadest work days, I've decided to come up with a system that we can build on with wonderful 4-star champ reward revisions that were rolled out last week. Here are the current parameters we're working within:

• All of the current announced characters receiving the updated rewards are Latest 12 alumni
  • The order of the current rewards are in cover order (280 = 1st cover, 300 = 2nd cover, 320 = 3rd cover, etc.)
  • The only 5-star characters eligible to be rewards for 4-star characters are classics, latests have to wait their turn
  • Once a 5-star character enters classic tokens, a 4-star character's rewards will be updated to give those covers and the covers will be retroactively rewarded

The 4th point is a bit flexible, unless there is a hard stance to not provide latest legends through 4-star champion rewards. So let’s assume those are the ground rules. My proposed additional rules are:

• Each 5-star will have an L12 alumni and a vintage 4-star matched with them with the same rewards. This seems future proof because there are two 4-stars released for every 5-star and this cadence has been acknowledged as the speed they wish to continue releasing new characters. Typically, at least one of the L12 characters is thematically appropriate to a 5-star release (like Mordo and Starnge, Rogue and Gambit, etc).
  • The L12 alumni rewards will stay as the 1st, 2nd and 3rd covers of their appropriate 5-star and then it repeats while the classic character will be the opposite, 3rd, 2nd, then 1st covers and then they repeat. This prevents wasted covers (even if the 2nd cover may get over represented)

So with that, here are my proposed matches for each of the 5-stars

• Black Bolt – Medusa, Quake
  • Black Panther - Wasp, Mr Fantastic
  • Black Widow – Mockingbird, Nick Fury
  • Daredevil – Iron Fist, Elektra
  • Doctor Octopus – Sandman, Carnage
  • Doctor Strange – Mordo, Nova (only because 3-star Strange rewards Nova)
  • Gambit – Rogue, Iceman
  • Green Goblin – Gwenpool, Eddie Brock
  • Hawkeye – Agent Coulson, Kate Bishop
  • Iron Man – Riri Williams, Hulkbuster
  • Jean Grey – Nightcrawler, Jean Grey
  • Silver Surfer – Carol, Invisible Woman
  • Spider-Man PP – Vulture, Miles
  • Spider-Man BiB – Agent Venom, Spider-Gwen
  • Star-Lord – Yondu, Star-Lord
  • Steve Rogers – Peggy, Sam Wilson
  • Thanos – Gamora, Drax
  • The Hulk – Main Event Hulk, Cho Hulk
  • Thor – Rocket & Groot, Thor
  • Wolverine – Blade, XFW

Look, that list isn’t perfect. Give me a break! There’s still a few L12 alumni that get left off (Lockjaw, C&D, Luke Cage) but they could always be retrofitted to future Inhuman, Defender, and other thematically appropriate releases.

Feel free to discuss this methodology along with my imperfect list if you’d like. The fact that there’s a non-RNG based bridge into the 5-star meta is super exciting and I know this is a slow work day for virtually everyone in the US so let’s kill some time together!

Comments

• DJSquiggy
    DJSquiggy Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Options
    I feel like something close to this will be the eventual process.  any new released 4s may already have a defined feeder 5*.  

such an exciting future on the way
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Eh, kill time at work helping you with the list or go home? Hmmm....I think it looks GREAT!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Spider-Man BiB – Agent Venom, Spider-Gwen

Is there a tie-in between Spider-Gwen and SpideyBB?

I would think this makes more sense:

Spider-Man BiB – Agent Venom, Venom (Eddie Brock)

Though I'd be shocked if they were generous enough to grant 12 5*s from 4* rewards.  This would mean that new players in the future would have a perfect path to 4/4/4 virtually guaranteeing 0 5* waste.  I can't see that happening.  

What seems more likely to me is this change and a few other (5* required node, 5* H4H) are the Silver Surfer heralding the arrival of the Galactus that will be 6* covers.  Once 6*s are a thing new 4* characters will drop off dramatically and/or stop completely and 5* will be released more frequently (probably 6/5/5 with an occasional lazy 4* copied from 6*).  As time grows the number of characters between 4* and 5* will balance out that they can have 1 reward per without having tons of blanks.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like this idea. Reward the people who got rich during vaulting, and the people who've been around forever. It would also help against everyone using bonus heroes for only Vulture, Medusa, and Gamora. Given they were from the same movie, I have to put Main Event Hulk with 5* Thor. So might as well put Rocket and Groot with 5* Hulk, they both have a second form where they make matches for you.
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    List looks great.
  • veneretio
    veneretio Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    I can't see them making any kind of system that would involve regularly giving out retroactive rewards. Retroactive rewards are a once of practice for a change. They aren't usually part of a process. This is a big flaw in your proposed change.
  • DJSquiggy
    DJSquiggy Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Options
    i cant imagine them not updating all 4s.  they would be making some 4s immediately more important to players vs others.

How else will they make us champ Eddie Brock?

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    veneretio said:
    I can't see them making any kind of system that would involve regularly giving out retroactive rewards. Retroactive rewards are a once of practice for a change. They aren't usually part of a process. This is a big flaw in your proposed change.
    Tell that to Shield Ranks.  Every time they've upped the ranks (3 times now) they have retroactively rewarded the levels (and rewards) that would have been earned had their not been a cap.  I don't think the retroactive rewards will stop, otherwise 90% of the 4* will never have 5* rewards and it would seem odd to players who come later why Medusa has them and Iceman doesn't because they were both vintage when they started.  
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    veneretio said:

I expect that they'll continue to provide retroactive 5-stars. This is taking it a step further by adding the vintage champion rewards as well. I don't think that'll throw things off too badly since the champion rewards for these characters dried up immensely during vaulting and the people who were really well off before the vaulting are probably well into the 5-star realm now. I'd be totally shocked if future 5-star covers as champion rewards weren't retroactively provided. If that's the case, we'd all be parking characters at 279/299/319/etc and hoarding until we heard otherwise.