Nicol Bolas: Beginner Deck

Options
wereotter
wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
This deck seems entirely unrealistic. Looking at the other "beginner" decks for every other planeswalker, we see cards consisting entirely of common and uncommon cards from the set the planeswalker is from that tie into that planeswalker's abilities. So, why is it that Nicol Bolas requires you to have Ammit Eternal (a rare) and Neheb, the Eternal (a mythic) to complete the BEGINNER deck?

Comments

• majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    He also comes with a mythic and a rare in his deck he comes with. Perhaps this is signaling easier access to rare/mythic cards in the future as a result of increased drop rates of this rarities or from booster crafting.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    majincob said:
    He also comes with a mythic and a rare in his deck he comes with. Perhaps this is signaling easier access to rare/mythic cards in the future as a result of increased drop rates of this rarities or from booster crafting.
    True, though then shouldn't THAT mythic be the one in this beginner deck? They give you the sphinx lord when you purchase him.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter said:
    majincob said:
    True, though then shouldn't THAT mythic be the one in this beginner deck? They give you the sphinx lord when you purchase him.
    It’s a valid point. 
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wereotter said:
    majincob said:
    No because they still want to incentivise you to chase new cards. Although with no useful utility it's not very compelling.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wish the beginner decks would go away.  It’s no fun to play one by accident.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    i blame this on hibernum for the badly implemented extra slots feature. 
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 791 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Options

The first Elspeth HoD event I accidentally chose Elspeth's beginner deck. That was the only match I lost... Besides the 1000 runes, I see no added value for these decks.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    That happened to me once (beginner AJ2 vs Uncage the Menagerie in RotGP) and to tell the truth, while the game lasted, it was actually kind of fun, because winning was going to be an extreme challenge.  (The deck managed something like 200-300 HP damage before it succumbed.)
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I actually won a PvP game with a level 20 AJ2 and his beginner deck.  But that’s only because the AI is completely stupid.