Overheard at a D3 and Demiurge Meeting - Part 2: "The Search for More Money"

Options
Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2017 in MPQ General Discussion

Punisher here.. I have Daredevil with me. His heightened hearing will allow him to hear what’s going on at this week’s meeting between D3 and Demiurge. No interruptions this time!

Director: Hello everyone. How are things going with the new Win-Based Versus season?

Developer 1: Well sir, we were told to scrap the Win-Based and revert back to point-based for Versus.

Director: WHAT?! Who gave this order?

CFO: I did. We lost a lot of our normal revenue last season because of Win-Based

Director: How much? This change was supposed to increase revenues

Controller: I do not have the exact numbers, but purchases for Shields and Healthpacks greatly decreased.

Analyst 1: We also noticed that many “Veteran” players also reduced their playing or stopped altogether. The “Casual” crowd does not make a significant amount of purchases.

Director: What does that mean for us?

CFO: No end-of-year bonuses this year..

Controller: However, we were able to recoup the lost revenue from Win-Based Versus due to higher than normal purchases for new characters.

Director: Oh the mighty Thor! Thank the Gods!

Controller: Actually Gambit, 5* and even the 3*

Director: 3*? We have not made money off 3* characters in over two years!

Analyst 2: Well sir, the surprising part is players are purchasing roster slots for multiple Gambits. We’re seeing 0/0/5, 5/0/5, 0/5/5 plus their championed 3*

Developer 2: Sir, this is what that Intern was talking about. We were not prepared for the players using Gambit just for black. We’re working on a fix as we speak and hope to roll it out by Thanksgiving.

Analyst 1: But on the other hand, player spending is always much higher during this time of the year. We predict that if this trend with Gambit continues that we could have an all-time high in revenues by year end

CFO: This means… double bonuses!

Developer 1: What about the players that have been complaining about Gambit? You forced us to quickly patch Star Lord last year and his “winfinity” was difficult to pull off

Controller: That is because Star Lord was not making us money!

Marketing: This is true. We have been trying to promote him for years during every new character release. No one purchased his covers.

Director: Well my wife has been bugging me for a new car. I don’t want her to work. Okay, let’s stay with Gambit as is until sales decrease and then we’ll nerf him.. OML/XFW style.. then we can release that new character we have been talking about. What’s the update?

Developer 2: We’re planning to release him early next year. Every time he makes a match-3 of purple the player gains an extra turn, match-4 gives 2 extra turns, and match-5 still gives 2 extra turns plus 5 turns of Invisibility to his teammates and this character will go airborne for 2 turns. The second ability for 6 purple, deals X amount of damage to all enemies, and it includes a Passive that every time the enemy uses a Passive ability they take X amount of damage. The third ability for 0 AP, this character can only be dealt damage after the enemy has matched between 30-100 protect tiles depending on the amount of covers. This is to signify the character’s “body armor” is wearing down. It’s pretty cool. We’re excited and it’s going through testing now.

Director: Ah yes, my son was telling me how testing was going. He said he seems balanced and fun. Perfect counter to Gambit too after we nerf him.

CFO: Exactly! This character is going to print us money. I plan to purchase a third pool. Who is this new character?

Developer 1: This character is Mas……

::BOOM::

Daredevil?! What happened are you okay? Something happened to Daredevil. We got to go guys.. until next time! Watch my show on Netflix!

Comments

• aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Punisher here.. I have Daredevil with me. His heightened hearing will allow him to hear what’s going on at this week’s meeting between D3 and Demiurge. No interruptions this time!

:snip:

Marketing: This is true. We have been trying to promote him for years during every new character release. No one purchased his covers.

:snip:
    Hah! I'm not the only one who feel like "work well with Starlord" was an attempt to promote him back when he was underneath the barrel.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Great again!!
  • JarvisJackrabbit
    JarvisJackrabbit Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This was great. Thank you!
  • RemcoLoki
    RemcoLoki Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options

*snip*

Developer 1: This character is Mas……

::BOOM::

Daredevil?! What happened are you okay? Something happened to Daredevil. We got to go guys.. until next time! Watch my show on Netflix!

False advertising I say! Boo!
    Nah, it was fun. Loved your sneak peek at the new 6*, sounds like he'll be reducing the grind time a lot, so that's good.
    My guess is for the special holiday crossover special 6* Mas...ter Chief :D
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Is the Mas- tease supposed to be keep me interested because it's working. 
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mas-

Masters of Evil 6* confirmed? :)
  • Punisher5784
    Options

Glad it's working but due to the lack of feedback for Part 2, it looks to be failing harder than Justice League. As a result I may need to cancel this show, or perhaps I'll need to bring back the Intern character. He was a fan favorite that related to the players.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    thisone said:
    Mas-

That would be an interesting way to introduce the 6* tier.  Not individual characters, but groups.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Calnexin said:
    thisone said:
    Mas-

That would be an interesting way to introduce the 6* tier.  Not individual characters, but groups.
    And because you're getting more than one character at once, you now need 25 covers to fully level them :D
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    dead on.
  • Keirain1982
    Keirain1982 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Absolutely love these kind of threads!

But what really happened to Daredevil?!? And who is responsible?!? I sense a 'Who Shot Mr Burns' style saga...
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Glad it's working but due to the lack of feedback for Part 2, it looks to be failing harder than Justice League. As a result I may need to cancel this show, or perhaps I'll need to bring back the Intern character. He was a fan favorite that related to the players.
    Don't cancel yet, you still have the shock twist coming up where the Devs actually do something the player base likes! Champion 5* star rewards! There must be a way they can still mess that up though... ;)
  • BigMike182
    BigMike182 Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Options
    Clearly, the new character is Master Pandemonium.

The purple power will be... Baby Hands! All will fall before the disturbing, hilarious Baby Hands!
  • Pollozz
    Pollozz Posts: 82 Match Maker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hillarious, great job!!! Thumbs up!!
  • Punisher5784
    Options

I have some good news everyone! I received numerous requests to keep this going. Part 3 is coming soon!

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    YES!!!!
  • Michaelcles
    Michaelcles Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Nice call out to Spaceballs also.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,574 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Could Mas- be the first crossover character:

Mas-ter Blaster?

Mas-ters of the Universe's He-Man?

Mas-ter Chief?

Mas-ter Yoda?

On a more serious note, I could definitely get behind 6* Group-characters: takes up 1 slot, but consists of 3 fighting toons. The more 6* covers you have, the more of your characters that belong to that group, can be put into it.
    F.ex. X-Men group with 1 cover lets you add 3 1* X-Men, 2 covers means one 2* + 2 1*, until you can field 3 5*.
    Characters in the group get extra bonusses, can use other toons from the group as TU, etc...