Kudos to Dev ‘generosity”

atomzed
atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
The change to the 4* champ rewards for specific 5* covers is a positive move, as it now allows a non-random path to 5* world. 

On top of that, there is an unprecedented move to retroactive award players with the 5* covers. 

This is unprecendented because the Dev has never done this before for precious changes. In the past, when they make changes to the 2* and 3* champ rewards, they did not award the new rewards to the players. 

The current move has generated a lot of goodwill among the players.... and seriously, the dev should do more of such ‘generosity’. the electronic goods don’t cost them any money, and the goodwill it generates should more than offset any cost. 

I am happy enough with this change that i will buy a Stark (in the next sale, probably christmas). i will also leave them with a good review in their next survey. 

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't buy a Stark yet.

Wait for the announcement of the 6* tier around Christmas.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm still going to hoard for now because I'm still desperate for ISO.

But long term it's a great move, I feel. Free 5*s to the community and Demiurge gets that push to 5* land that's been giving some players (myself included) pause.

Now if only there was a way to reliably earn the 600,000 ISO you need to take a 5* from 255 to champ in a fortnight. Or better yet, up the time from 14 days to 28 days for a 5* (and make 4*s go from 14 to 21 while we're at it.)
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    What follows? No more latest swaps
  • veneretio
    veneretio Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Bowgentle said:
    Don't buy a Stark yet.

Wait for the announcement of the 6* tier around Christmas.
    It really does beg the question... what next?? I didn't think we'd see a 6* tier, but with this change it almost seems like there has to be. 
  • atomzed
    edited November 2017
    @Bowgentle, indeed 6* tier may descend on us.... but it is still unprecedented that they are giving us retroactive rewards. 

Personally, i have no idea how they are going to balance 6*. when 5* first started, the crucial difference was (1) higher match dmg, (2) higher health and (3) ability that supposedly useful with 1 cover.

so for 6*? OP ability? 10k match dmg? i seriously don’t know how they are going to balance 6*.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    i wished they would work on colorless covers or a  respec option without needing to be a champion, repeccing already  programed into the game.

BTW ty again for 4* ---> 5* covers.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not to be that guy, but the word you want is "retroactive."
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    It was the smart move for them to do this.  Otherwise people would have been furious over something that should clearly have been all positive.  Still, totally agree that just because it was the obvious way to go, they should be commended with actually doing it.  Also agree that "something" must be in the works.
  • Landale
    Landale Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Jarvind said:
    Doin' god's work there, son...
  • atomzed
    Jarvind said:
    thanks for the tip :) changed my posts. 
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:

It's semantics - retrospective and retroactive are synonyms in a lot of uses.

Fwiw, I'd use retrospectively in this case, as they have changed the reward structure and giving out the new reward even though a reward has already been received.

Imagine the forums if they didn't give folks the covers - I know I'd spit the dummy, so just imagine the toys scattered around after having been thrown from prams!

I'd expect there to be a further increases in 5* availability, even if ever so slightly like them appearing in other tokens at the Arena token odds or covers in Boss event progression, maybe 3 or 4 4*s changed per season until there is a feeder for each, then some kind of move for 6* characters.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    Im not sure its that smart a move at all.

Its completely obvious given the 2->3 and 3->4 rewards already in place in champ levels.

Frankly its ridiculous its taken this long.

As with most MPQ changes it is reactive, not proactive, IMO.

They have seen people stalling on moving into the 5* tier, knowing the 4* tier offers a pretty sweet experience when factoring in difficulty/time/variety/MMR etc.

So now they are looking to push people along.  Keeping them iso starved and no doubt throwing £££ into being abl to try and get all the resources needed.

Is it a good thing?  For anyone interested in a 5* roster, absolutely.  Its about time there was more than RNG involved in getting what you need.

I just dont quite buy into the fanfare about it.

• JRYUART
    JRYUART Posts: 95 Match Maker
    edited November 2017
    It's a nice gesture for the devs to reward the covers to those who have already leveled their 4's past the required levels, thank you.  

That said, I think that this change isn't in anticipation of a 6* tier.  Rather, it seems like there's enough of a developed 4* player base that they will either introduce a new standard featured 4* PVP tier (like the upcoming ones) and/or open up the CL past 8 where the prog and placement offer scaled up rewards including many more chances at 4*'s (and 5*?) across the board.  Being that this is a 4 year old game, it's possible that they aren't retaining a lot of newer players who are willing to spend, since they don't have as much invested in the game, whether it be time or money. Thus, they may be taking steps to give the existing die-hards a more favorable experience to encourage them to continue to play (and spend) in order to shore up the natural attrition associated with an older title with diminishing relevancy amidst all of the other forms of entertainment that they are competing against.  It just seems like it's about time that 5* covers are thrown into the reward mix somewhere.  
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,737 Chairperson of the Boards
    A point about how this helps the devs:  whaling a classic 5* from scratch is a daunting proposition.  If you were a new player and used buy clubs, $5100 would get you one cover in each classic (once Spidey drops) with perfect distibution.  That’s 3 covers.  Times 4.3 is $22,300 for 13 covers. Ignore BH since they are so rare...

On the other hand, bonusing the 4’s that provide covers and using all that HP you are buying gets you a lot further along.

This, along with HfH, makes whaling a classic 5 somewhat possible vs spending a car.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    CT1888 said:
    Jarvind said:

Fwiw, I'd use retrospectively in this case, as they have changed the reward structure and giving out the new reward even though a reward has already been received.

So you'd use retrospectively even though it provides less clarity than retroactive?

Retroactive means taking place from a point in the past. It has no other interpretations. Retrospective could mean taking place from a point in the past or it could just mean 'with consideration of past events'.

They are synonyms in a lot of uses because retrospective sometimes means it was applied retroactively. But it also sometimes doesn't. So if someone tells me a change was retrospective I still need to check if it were retroactive. If someone tells me a change was retroactive I don't have any ambiguity.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Retrospective usually has more of a "looking back" connotation, while retroactive is more about doing something (related) to the past. 

That "spective" is the same root as spectator or spectacles, so sight-related things. Active, obviously relates to action/doing. 

I agree that making this retroactive was huge. If they hadn't, heads would have exploded with anguish. As it is, I'm surprised how few people are complaining that other people with higher champs are getting double rewards. 
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017

Eddiemon said:
    CT1888 said:
    Jarvind said:

So you'd use retrospectively even though it provides less clarity than retroactive?

Retroactive means taking place from a point in the past. It has no other interpretations. Retrospective could mean taking place from a point in the past or it could just mean 'with consideration of past events'.

They are synonyms in a lot of uses because retrospective sometimes means it was applied retroactively. But it also sometimes doesn't. So if someone tells me a change was retrospective I still need to check if it were retroactive. If someone tells me a change was retroactive I don't have any ambiguity.

Yes I would; it's a valid use, the more commonly used and understood, and within the context of the announcement, completely clear and lacking in ambiguity.

• notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I think I know how they can do 6 star tier. They can make there be only one "cover" per character, or something like that. The covers will be so rare, that getting 3 in each color, let alone 13, will be impossible. So to compensate for that, they will unlock all the characters skills with 1 cover. Additional covers will increase the level cap, and damage will be much more closely tied to the level. As far as how they change the actual usefulness of the 6 star tier, to be different, well they can't really just add more complex skills, or the AI won't use them properly. So they have to just add more damage and health.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    It won't be called 6*, it will be the "ALL STAR" tier, and it will be the beginning of the end. Another 2 years of All Star tier repression, then they open it up, then the game ends.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    sh81 said:
    Im not sure its that smart a move at all.

Its completely obvious given the 2->3 and 3->4 rewards already in place in champ levels.

Frankly its ridiculous its taken this long.

As with most MPQ changes it is reactive, not proactive, IMO.

They have seen people stalling on moving into the 5* tier, knowing the 4* tier offers a pretty sweet experience when factoring in difficulty/time/variety/MMR etc.

So now they are looking to push people along.  Keeping them iso starved and no doubt throwing £££ into being abl to try and get all the resources needed.

Is it a good thing?  For anyone interested in a 5* roster, absolutely.  Its about time there was more than RNG involved in getting what you need.

I just dont quite buy into the fanfare about it.

I don't Think it's that bad. By the time you reach the last Three cover rewards, the fourstar when boosted will be almost more powerful than a level 450 fivestar - match damage will be lower, but ability damage will be through the roof. When your fourstar roster is at that Point the fivestar rank shouldn't be much of a challenge.