D3. Just do both!!

Phaserhawk
Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
Why can’t PvP be both progression and win based?  Why not have 900 points or 40 wins (less wins all around though, way too grindy). This way PvP can play the same while allowing casuals to still get progression. It’s a win, win, win. Win for hardcore, casual and D3 as a happy player base = $

Comments

• animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    sh81 said:
    Keep it points - but loses dont count against you in prog, only placement.  Everyones a winner.
    Yup, that's what makes the most sense to me. Said so on the thread about the change back. I might not have been the first one. I didn't have time to read back through the 11 pages before I got there.
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    sh81 said:
    Keep it points - but loses dont count against you in prog, only placement.  Everyones a winner.
    Curious about how they would do that. Would everyone have two different point totals? A gross and a net, as it were?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Tile Toppler
    I dont claim it as an original idea either!
  • Eec411
    Eec411 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Wins are fine. Lower the number of wins to hit the 4* to 30 (scale the others down accordingly) and put the 15 cp at 40 wins.  Taking away the cp from progression was what upset most people.  
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    sh81 said:
    I dont claim it as an original idea either!
    Oh, never fear. That was me noting you might have raised it there too, along with others. I imagine it's a popular idea purely because it's so.... logical.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    NotBAMF said:
    sh81 said:
    Curious about how they would do that. Would everyone have two different point totals? A gross and a net, as it were?
    I think a simple compromise is to show "max points" and "current points".  You place (both progression and placement) based on your max points, but still gain (and lose) based on your current points.  Very similar to how season progression awards go now, just applied to placement.

Yes, this still has people losing points for defeats (both in attack and defense) but the loss is buffered by the fact that you don't actually go backward.  It still allows for people to do their shield hopping and "skip-tax" to find optimal battles, while not overly punishing them for getting hit in the process.

Example:
       I do an event and get 10 wins to get to 575 points.  I get hit and lose 15 points.  My placement still shows me at 575.  Progression is still at the 575 level (so I need to hit 650 for the next award), however, I actually have 560 points.  I then fight another battle against a higher ranked guy for 75 points.  My totals for both progression and placement are now at 635.

Thoughts?

*edited a typo
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Too complicated for them, it's either one extreme or the other, just about every change has shown this time and again.

• NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2017
    abmoraz said:
    NotBAMF said:
    sh81 said:
    No.  I think a simple compromise is to show "max points" and "current points".  You place (both progression and placement) based on your max points, but still gain (and lose) based on your current points.  Very similar to how season progression awards go now, just applied to placement.

Yes, this still has people losing points for defeats (both in attack and defense) but the loss is buffered by the fact that you don't actually go backward.  It still allows for people to do their shield hopping and "skip-tax" to find optimal battles, while not overly punishing them for getting hit in the process.

Example:
       I do an event and get 10 wins to get to 575 points.  I get hit and lose 15 points.  My placement still shows me at 575.  Progression is still at the 575 level (so I need to hit 650 for the nest award), however, I actually have 560 points.  I then fight another battle against a higher ranked guy for 75 points.  My totals for both progression and placement are now at 635.

Thoughts?
    Unless I am misreading, I don't see how that is different than what we currently have, except that there is another figure that ultimately doesn't mean anything. You get up to 575, then you lose 15 and gain 75. That puts you at 635 on both scores. That's how the system already works, right? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, though. 
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gross and net is perfect too. Essentially wins and total points would do the same thing and both are already programmed hence my suggestion but gross and net is more elegant 
  • DirtyDank
    DirtyDank Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    I’ve been saying that from the start as well.  Have the season and each event separated into Rank Points and Progession Points.  Wins increase each by x # of points while losses only decrease from rank points.  This would allow the lower rosters to get their progression without punishing the higher tier rosters by making them play twice as much.  It was players with lower tiered rosters that loved this win based system because they probably had to win 40 matches to get their points anyway, this way as their rosters improve and they move into 4 and 5* land they can decrease the amount of wins it would take to reach the same rewards.  As a mainly 4* roster player, I reach 900 points consistently in about 20 matches, now I can get my rewards back.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    sh81 said:
    D3 loses. No more shielding. No more HP sink
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    sh81 said:
    D3 loses. No more shielding. No more HP sink
    Except they stated a few times if ircc that money from HP shielding is insignificant. Real problem was from people stopping buy clubs, which if we are to believe the deleted post only added to an already happening event because of certain reasons.
  • Tiggida
    Tiggida Posts: 64 Match Maker
    edited November 2017
    /:::::::::::